Adverse reactions to prozinc?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by cmoorewv, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmoorewv

cmoorewv New Member

Has anyone had a cat experience an adverse reaction to prozinc? My cat is supposed to be getting 2 units twice daily. After a couple days, she began hiding from me and vomiting a bit after receiving her injection. I took her off the shot yesterday and there has been no more vomiting. The vet suggestedno insulin through the weekend and if no more vomiting, we restart prozinc at 1 unit twice a day. If the vomiting starts again we will have to re-evaluate her insulin. The vet says she has never seen such a reaction, but you never know. I am aware it could also be any number of other things causing her to vomit. Hard to isolate the cause just yet. Mama has only been on insulin since Friday last week.

2. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

I'm not aware of many bad reactions to ProZinc, but like any drug I'm sure there are some cats who don't tolerate something about it. The good thing is it's not the only insulin you can use for Mama. Hope everything works out, please keep us posted!

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I read the pamphlet they have for ProZinc (don't read it if you're in a good mood and happy) but there was a mention of a couple cases where the kitty vomited and it went away upon cessation of therapy. You might have one of the rare kitty's that does not agree with ProZinc. Essentially, like Kimi said some drugs may not tolerate a certain drug just like people. If it ends up being the insulin, hopefully your Vet can work some sort of credit towards another type :). Best wishes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.