Advice again

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Mphair84, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

I need some advice again please. Sorry if this is redundant at this point.

I was getting some good numbers but I had to reduce the insulin because I couldn't do an even dose for AM and PM shots. I reduce the dose to 1.5 but I started getting higher pre-shot numbers so after getting some advice I decided to slowly bring up his insulin to avoid higher numbers.

Tonight he was 104 and after stalling an hour, he didn't move much. At 7 he was 120. I can't shoot past 7 because my schedule.

I only gave .25u, and I'm monitoring him. I don't know if I handled it "correctly", but I did what I thought was best.

I was planning on decreaseing his insulin tomorrow morning to 1.5 because right now it's pretty much just under 1.75.

I would like to know:

1) I know it's been asked before, but why is it that doses that use to work are now too much insulin? Is this a good sign?

2) Could I have handled this better? Maybe skipping or should I possibly gave him more insulin?

3) what should I do tomorrow. I know obviously it depends on his number, but should I just go ahead and drop his dose to 1.5 or stick with the slightly fatter 1.5? ( "F" stands for FAT doses" )

Thank you.

P.s. the F stands for fat doses. The f1.5 is a little fatter that 1.5 and the ff1.5 is pretty much a little under 1.75. It was just a way to SLOWLY increase or decrease his insulin.

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Good morning! Okay, as to your questions:
    1) Insulin needs change over time. Remember that it's a hormone, not a medicine. This means it can be affected by different things like stress, kitty being sick, etc.
    2) I think you did the best you could at the time. You have to remember that what you give on a lower number depends on different factors like if you can be home (or awake!) to monitor. It looks like the amount you gave kept him pretty steady most of the evening...and he began to rise to yellows later, which is fine. What you give is always going to depends...can you be home or up to monitor...are you comfortable steering with food, etc. I think giving something was great since it gives great info that we can use later.
    3) What you do today is going to depend on where Tuffy is at. I might stick with the same dose if Tuffy was in higher numbers today. It's hard to say why the dose lasted so long yesterday. Was anything different that could have caused that?

3. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

I don't think so. I was able to be home and monitor him. The only thing I can think of is his dental and hopefully I'll be getting in next week to get his teeth cleaned. I got the go-ahead from the vet. I also got a quote of approximately how much is going to be. It's going to cost anywhere from $300 to a little over $600 and that is where the possible extractions in a full.

I do have to get it in my mind that when I don't give my cat a full dose of insulin some reason I keep on thinking he's going to actually go super low during the night and in reality wouldn't he go a little low but he'd still end up rising later in the night. Needless to say,a did give him a little higher carb food because I got nervous. I now think that I shouldn't have done that and maybe he wouldn't be do high this morning, but I panicked. :(

4. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

We have all panicked and for me I still do sometimes. You are doing a great job and giving a bit of HC food is not the end of the world. You need to be ok too and if that made you feel better at the time then it was the right decision. I know shooting even a tiny dose on a low number can be nerve wracking and if you don’t think you can get tests in, it’s double nerve wracking. As for going too low on a very reduced dose, Nothing is impossible so I usually end up setting my alarm in the night to check levels. All said you are doing great!! Don’t beat yourself up :bighug:

Mphair84 likes this.
  5. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

Last night I set so many alarms. I gave him a dose at a lower number. But I was able to monitor him all night. So I set three alarms to make sure because i gave him a dose at a lower number. But I was able to monitor him all night. I gave him some little carb treats in between so this morning he was only in the 300

6. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Great job monitoring. I hope you can get some mid day tests in today since you upped him again. Curious as to why you gave a fat 1.5 this am.? It usually takes a few cycles to see the full effect of a dose change and Tuffy did great on 1.5 last night. Be careful not to react to PS numbers when changing doses.

Djamila and Mphair84 like this.
  7. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

Accident. It was just a regular 1.5. I thought I already fixed it. I will fix it now.

Rachel likes this.