advice cat in remission with his bg/diet calculations

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by phlika29, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

It's been a while since I've been in the forum. Remi has remained in remission even whilst on 1.25 mg prednicare every other day. His IBD has been up and down and so has his asthma but all in all he has been a happy cat.

Tonight however when I went to take his blood glucose it was higher than it normally is before his evening meal- 6.6 (it usually ranges from 4.8 to 5.4 before his meals). It can be slightly higher the morning after his steroid tablet but nothing higher than 5.6. This made me very concerned especially as I had just given him his steroid tablet!! I gave him his meal and then three hours later retested his blood glucose and it was 8.9. So now I am very worried. The only thing that changed today was that he started a new batch or ropocat rabbit food that looked very different from the batch before.

It has spurred me into wanting to make the switch to another novel protein wet food to see if this might help both his IBD and hopefully his blood glucose. This is where I need someone help to just double check that the new food is lower in carbs. The rabbit was right at the limit of the recommended carbs and I don't want to end up with something higher by mistake.

Can someone work out the %of carbs for this ropocat horse meat:

Protein 11.20%
    Fat 4.90%
    Fibre 0.40%
    Ash 1.80%
    Moisture 81 %

Many thanks

Sarah

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

According to this carb calculator, it should be fine

Would be better if you had "as fed" numbers, but it looks like dry matter basis is 4%

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah,

Glad to hear that Remi's doing OK. I've seen BG increases with different food batches. Fingers and paws crossed that it's just a food glitch. I hope that you are keeping well in yourself.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.