Advice needed - cat cold?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sonia & Tom (GA), Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Tom has been sneezing with watery eyes for a few days now. :YMSIGH: He's had that in the past but not for a few years.

He's a little less playfull but otherwise is eating and drinking normally. Litter action normal. As cuddly as always. Don't know if he has a fever - thought maybe he did on the weekend, he seemed warm - but not since. How do you check that anyway? Should I buy an ear thermometer?

Advice?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The best thermometer is a rectal one. You can use the electronic ones for humans. It is desirable to have a a thermometer that read is about five seconds. SOme take about a minute. The norma temperature is about 100.5 to 102.5F. See the following for more details.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/firstaid.html

3. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Keep an eye out and make sure kitty keeps eating. If nose gets too stuffy he might stop and that's disastrous.

If he seems lethargic then check for fever.

Otherwise patience is usually all that's needed.

4. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on him.
    And lots of cuddles.

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Can't use an ear thermometer on a cat because you would have to go in way too deep.

Larry gave you spot on advice about thermometers and temps.

L-Lysine (aka Lysine) is often used for upper respiratory problems like colds. It's the same stuff people use. Can open a capsule or crush a tablet and put on wet food.

How much? I don't know.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

One standard dose of L-lysine is 250 mg bid. Te herpes virus is responsible for many URI and L-lysine helps prevent replication of that virus.

7. Sonia & Tom (GA)

I'll look into that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.