Advice needed - crating a terrified cat (sorry long)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lks_oscar, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lks_oscar

lks_oscar New Member

Hi - I haven't been around the board since my sweet sugar cat Oscar passed away almost two years ago but I find myself needing some feline advice and am I hoping someone can help.

I adopted a Katrina-rescue back in 2005. He was supposed to be a foster cat but I flunked fostering and kept him. He was in rough shape - trapped somewhere he tried to claw his way out, he had acid burns on his head and his feet were very torn up (we thought he was declawed initially). He's come a long way, his physical wounds have healed very well and mostly he's a great cat. Because I had to do "mean" things when I first got him like put cream on his wounds and stuff in his ears, he's not a huge fan of getting close to me. In his own way, he likes me and he is happy at my house (less so without his best buddy Oscar). When I am asleep, he comes in a cuddles and nudges my hands to get pet. When I am awake, he runs if I take a step in his direction. A few times I have been able to trim his claws, usually ending up with me bleeding from multiple sites (he doesn't bite, they wounds are a result of him pushing off of me trying to escape).

We co-exist nicely as long as I don't try to cut his nails (and they are horribly long, sometimes he accidentally hurts the other cats while playing). The longer we go without an attempt, the more often I get nightly visits. What's interesting is he doesn't hide ever. He is always out and sociable from a distance and when people come over, he goes right up to them and sniffs. Sometimes he even allows some petting from them as long as no sudden movements are involved.

So that's JD's background, here's my problem/question... It's been almost 2 years since he's been to the vet. The last visit was a dental. When I tried to catch him to go for his follow up for that, I spent a couple hours following him around the house trying to wear him out or coax him into the crate. He got himself so worked up, his bowels released and I gave up. So I know it's time he gets another check up but I have no clue how to get him crated (and taking him not in a crate is not a safe option for either of us).

Getting him to eat a sedative is about as easy as crating him (he's very suspicious of anything out of the ordinary). He won't eat a treat if he's confined so putting food in the crate won't work. I have tried Feliway to help relax him but it had no affect. I am just at a loss. I don't want to add to his emotional scars but I need to figure out a way to safely get him to the vet too.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to your suggestions!
    Lucy

Attached Files:

• JD.jpg
      JD.jpg
      File size:
      250.8 KB
      Views:
  2. SherylandClouseau

SherylandClouseau Member

Can you find a vet who does housecalls?

I know my vet will if the circumstances warrant it- sure sounds like that would be the least stressful option for a quick checkup. As far as getting him to accept the crate/crating- I would leave the crate out and open all the time with a nice inviting blanket or soft throw in it, and make a habit of putting treats, catnip or something else he likes inside periodically. Over time, he will hopefully find the crate a calming place to hang out (although w/ his past history of being trapped, that might not happen).

3. lks_oscar

lks_oscar New Member

The crates are always out in the basement and open. A couple weekends ago he was happily snoozing away in one (the first time since Oscar died - he would climb in if Oscar was already in there). I actually debated closing him in and taking him to the ER vet for a check up (it was a Sunday)!

I brought the crates up yesterday and have them in the living room now. He's inspected them but hasn't gone in. I'll look into a house call vet too, that's a good idea.

Thanks!

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Wow, that picture from when he first got there is heartbreaking and then all of sudden he's so handsome. Great job.

Any chance you live in a house with a garage attached? For my really hard to get in the crate kitties I put the carrier in the car at an earlier time, then when ready, I pick up the cat and bring her straight to the car and she goes right in the crate once we're in the car.

But, Tucker can't be crated, his story is no where as sad as your little ones, Tucker was found in a box behind a grocery store with the box duct taped shut and a bag of unopened dry. After that he spent a few months in foster care in a bathroom. He cannot do closed spaces well at all, even my vet is nice enough to give him a dog cage when there and the vet techs let him out often to walk. Anyway, he uses a harness and leash when we need to go to the vet.

5. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Lucy,

Thanks for doing such a great job with JD - he is handsome!

I agree with Sheryl's comments, but might add that the thing that works for me is the element of surprise. If I get the carrier out in advance, then ignore it, they will too. It is ready though, to use at a moments notice.

The way that works best for me is to put them into the carrier when I first wake up, then I just hurry and dress and run to the Vet's office. With this method they are still half asleep. When I do this I will normally close all the bedroom doors, etc., so, if I do have to hunt I have a limited space. You could also set-up the carrier in a closet a day or two in advance, and that way, he isn't as suspicious. If all that fails, you might ask the vet for a pill :)

I also always ask the vet to clip the nails when in for a visit. They grow out between visits - but at least for awhile they are short and blunt.

You might investigate something called soft paws? I think it is a cover for the nail.

Good luck to both of you.

Pam & Layla

6. lks_oscar

lks_oscar New Member

Actually that made me wonder if I could use the old (big) dog crate I had used the first few days I had him. Might be way less scary since it's huge and open... Not the safest for travel but better than nothing!

I have thought about the nail covers - but that would require me handling him to get them on. And I won't declaw him, not only because I don't believe in it but because his feet still hurt him (I think) and he never scratches anything but his post.

I suspect he was actually feral and part of a catch-neuter-release (of the 300 pets this group rescued only 2 were fixed).

Thanks for the kind words - he has come a long way and he is a chubby, mostly content boy. I can't believe how well his head healed. The scab covered his whole head and nose when I first got him. He doesn't even get scared when it rains!! He just sits and watches out the window. The ONLY nice thing about his story is that he knows how bad things can be outside so he never, ever tries to escape!

7. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Lucy, if the big crate works, use it if you think that is best. Consider covering any carrier or crate with a blanket or sheet to keep the area dark and secluded. It might help keep him calm. Good luck to you and to JD.

8. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i use the element of surprise too, scheduling vet visits for right when we'd normally wake.
    normally right when i get up i go downstairs and feed everyone, and that's when i swoop in to grab whoever has to go to the vet. i put the carrier on its side so it looks like a chute. then i drop the cat in back legs first. quick and easy. they're always happy to get back in the carrier once they're at the vet's office, so the only issue is getting them into the carrier to go there.

if i had a more feral kitty (i had a semi feral), i'd wrap him in a blanket or towel and put him in the carrier that way.

9. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Can you put a harness on him? If so, there is a product that you can use to buckle him into the car seat, and you wouldn't need a crate at all. Just another option to consider....

He looks fabulous, what a handsome boy!

10. breayle and jake

breayle and jake Member

I feel your pain. The worst thing in the world is to put a kitty who trusts you into a spot they are uncomfortable or scared to be in, when it's for their own good. I always try to use a soft coaxing voice when I'm gettin' kitty to do my bidding. I agree with some of the suggestions with making it a nice place to hang out so he doesn't notice when you lock him up!

Good luck, hope it works out.

breayle and jake

11. Sarshsmom

Sarshsmom New Member

Two of my kitties are former ferals. There is absolutely no convincing them that the crate is a good thing. What works best for us is the quick surprise method. For one of my cats - my husband helps me. My husband hides around the corner making sure to not make any noises with the crate. I pick up the cat, my husband zooms around the corner holding the door open and I place the cat in the crate. I REALLY don't enjoy doing this, but as they have aged, it has become necessary for a few trips to the vet. There is never a problem getting them back in the crate after their exam. For many ferals, if they are agitated in the crate while driving to the vet, placing a towel or sheet over the crate usually calms them down. Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.