? Advice needed for catsitter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by shelaghc, May 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

My catsitter came by tonight to practice giving Jester his PM dosage. (He's learning how because I now have a job and occasionally need to able to come home late.)

I had planned to increase Jester's Prozinc to .75u tonight because his BG has been in the 200s.
    After coaching the sitter - Jim - on how to draw the insulin in the proper dosage, I demonstrated how to tent Jester's skin for the injection.
    (btw, he had observed me dosing Jester possibly a week or so ago.)

Unfortunately, Jim was nervous when he actually tried to inject Jester and delivered a furshot - not what we needed when Jester's BG is high already.
    To give him another chance, I let Jim give Jester a B12 injection - not critical if it was messed up.
    We ended up with B12 on the floor.

Now we're short on time as I need to leave home pretty early for work. Rather than giving Jester his insulin earlier than usual, Jim is supposed to come over to try do it for the first time on his own without me around.

Jim can't come tomorrow evening to practice as he has a prior commitment, so he's coming first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to help Jim when he comes in the morning to make sure he delivers Jester's next dosage successfully?

If we had any other chance to do this, I absolutely would. But I'm very nervous about the idea that he's going to give Jester a second furshot and we'll have to go yet another twelve hours without insulin.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

3. shelaghc

I'm not sure that tenting was the problem.

He told me he was concerned that he was hurting Jester with the syringe.
    Mind you, Jester didn't so much as flinch or make a noise while he was inserting either of the syringes.

4. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Alot of men have issues with syringes and do not know it. Maybe have him practice with an orange? Or something like a stuffed toy?

5. shelaghc

I think he's probably over-thinking the "procedure."
    Either that or I'm over-complicating it for him.

In any case, he was successful this morning and will be soloing Tuesday AM.
    Although he's still concerned enough about the process that he wants one more supervised session.

And we lucked out on his BG through the night. AMPS was nearly the same as his +3 yesterday after the furshot.
    I ordered a Nanny cam with two-way audio so I can be on hand, so to speak, for him for any lengthier times I may be away.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.