Advice Needed - Insulin Problem or Mild Hypo?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Trish J, Sep 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hiya everyone,

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice, particularly a call-out to @Squalliesmom as I know she's got a lot of experience with Caninsulin (Vetinsulin)?

Bit freaked out today. Kismet was only diagnosed Auguat 22nd and due to various complications with pancreatitis/cereal allergy she's not regulated fully as yet and I'm still on a big learning curve.

The vet started her off on 2 units of Caninsulin even though she hadn't eaten for two days and she had a really weird reaction to it. Reduced it to 1 unit which she's been okay on, less urine, less appetite and thirst. She refused to eat her normal food, so I've had her on a high protein, low carb diet, giving her food little and often as I was advised. As she's been eating more normally, five days ago I increased it to 1.5 on the vet's phone advice and another slight rise in dose today.

Up to now she's been fine on the 1.5 units, but this morning before her injection her litter tray was back to being full of urine and she was ravenous - just like before she was diagnosed. I injected her insulin with a slight increase (a conservative 1.8 unit), but she's stayed really hungry, inbetween being very sleepy, though she hasn't used the tray or drank much water since.

Is this likely to be a mild Hypo or a sign the insulin has lost strength? I've been careful to follow all the steps, but I left the Caninsulin (UK name for Vetinsulin) out of the fridge for a couple of hours the day before yesterday, although as the kitchen was pretty cold. As a precaution I've managed to get a new bottle of Insulin from the vets, though can't get her over there to have her BG tested until Monday.

Since Kismet's last vet visit (which traumatised her and us) I've been monitoring her by appetite/urine/thirst as I'm still trying to home-test her BG without success, though I intend to try again later. I'm hoping to get a Keto/Glucose urine test done oday too.

If anyone can offer any insight/advice it would be very much appreciated. I'm really stressed out at present due to other family health problems and now really worried at this sudden change in her when she seemed to be doing so well. :(

Trish

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Trish, this sounds to me like she's hypo. Do you have a glucometer for home testing? It would be great if you could get a BG number. How long has she been acting like this?

3. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hi @Squalliesmom, thanks for getting back to me so quick. Kismet's only been like this since this morning, pre-and-post injection, she was on good form yesterday. :( I bought a glucometer but haven't managed to get enough blood from her ear yet, despite several attempts previously. I'll have another try or when my partner gets back, maybe I can get him to hold her while I try a paw pad. If I manage to get some numbers I'll post them here.

She hasn't used the litter tray for a few hours, though I've got it ready to take a Ketone/glucose sample. She's sleeping again now. Is there anything I should/shouldn't do? Should I give her some high-carb food? Also, should I go back to a lower dose of insulin tonight? Any advice much appreciated xxx

4. Squalliesmom

If you can't test her at home I would seriously suggest a visit to the vet for testing and possible treatment for a hypo incident. There are some things you can do to help with a hypo, has your vet given you any info on this? If you have honey or Karo syrup you can rub a small amt on her gums to help bring her BG up, but this is a temporary measure, and she should still see the vet. You can also give a small amount of a gravy-style food, best really if you can manage to give a spoonful or so of the gravy by itself; you don't want to fill her up in case you need to get more food in her, later. I am very hesitant to recommend these things without knowing what Kismet's BG actually is. However if she is hypo, you need to get her BG up as soon as possible.

Can anyone else please weigh in here, maybe @Cat Ma, @Robin&BB, @BJM, someone with more experience?

5. Squalliesmom

She was exhibiting these symptoms pre-injection this morning?

6. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hi @Squalliesmom, oops we cross-posted. The vet isn't available today, we live right out in the sticks and I have no transport to take her into the bigger-practice. I'll give her a little high carb gravy food as you suggest and I'll try hard to get some BG measurements asap. Thanx for your help xxx

7. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hi Lucy @Squalliesmom, Yes, pre=injection: ravenous, loads of urine/drinking; post-injection: ravenous/sleepy, not drinking so much or urinating. I'm so confused!

8. Squalliesmom

It sounds like you are on the right track with the ear testing, it just takes patience and practice. Are you warming her ear before you prick it? SO much easier to get a little blood if the ear is warm! Some people put a little rice in a sock and warm it in the microwave (just make sure it doesn't get too hot, test it on the inside of your wrist, first, then hold it against the ear for a few seconds, or you can use a warm , wet wash cloth in the same fashion. It's really important that you try to get a BG reading as soon as possible.
    I can sympathize with being out in the middle of nowhere, I am in the same situation.

9. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Trish, that you're having such a rough go of it right now! I have no personal experience with Vetsulin, and without a bunch of data in a spreadsheet, I'm rather hesitant to weigh in on exactly what to do right at this moment - except to agree with Lucy on her tips above re: getting enough blood out of your kitty for the BG checks. I know that can feel like such an insurmountable task when you first start attempting it! Just do your best. (As the sooner you can start a handle on regular testing for Kismet, with some numbers flowing into a SS, the easier it will be for you to "read" how your kitty's body is reacting to the insulin - this will help you tremendously in deciding what you need to do about dosage adjustments.)

Do let us know when you're able to get another BG# out of Kismet; I know you're trying!:bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. Squalliesmom

If you need to raise her BG the honey/syrup will raise it quickly but only last about 20 minutes, or less. The gravy food will take longer to raise BG but is longer-lasting. When Squallie went hypo I used both, honey first, actually gave it about three times while I waited for my son to go buy some gravy food, and then the gravy/gravy food.

I really wish you could get a BG reading on Kismet, I don't want to give you the wrong advice in case this is something other than a hypo episode!

11. Robin&BB

Trish J and Squalliesmom like this.
  12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Trish, it could be too much or too little insulin. The only way to know for sure is to get a blood glucose test. What size lancet are you using? The was the problem for us. Humans use 30-31 gauge lancets and they may be too small for cats at first. 25-27 gauge can work better. If you only have the smaller gauge, try double poking - a quick second poke in the same place. If he takes off, get the blood on your fingertip and test from there.

Your ketone test will help. I will tell you if she has ketones (usually due to too little insulin, not eating and an infection) I would get it asap. If it is even a trace, with her strange behavior, I would get her to the vet.

Robin&BB and Squalliesmom like this.
  13. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I wouldn't give syrup or honey until we know whether it is too much or too little insulin.

Cat Ma, Robin&BB and Squalliesmom like this.
  14. Squalliesmom

Thank you, @Sue and Oliver (GA) !!! I agree wholeheartedly, Trish, Sue and Oliver are absolutely correct.

15. Robin&BB

@Sue and Oliver (GA) - Thanks, Sue! I heard the theme song from The Lone Ranger trumpet through my head just now.:)

16. Sue and Oliver (GA)

So, try warming the ear as Lucy said, double poking, blood on the fingernail - a blood glucose level would settle this in a second. If that is impossible, I think I'd go to the vet. If it is a hypo, they are deadly and fast. But treating for a hypo if he has DKA (the ketone test) wouldn't be a good idea either. Do you have the ketone strips. Can you catch him peeing?

17. Trish J

Trish J Member

Thanks @Squalliesmom and @Robin&BB - yep the Home BG test seems the only real solution so long as I can conquer it this time. She's just woken up and I gave her a little high carb food just to play it safe as she seems ok, just still ravenously hungry but avoiding the special kitty litter I prepared to test her urine! I've warmed her ear, and tried different lancet settings previously, but it's been really difficult to get her to give up enough blood. I'll try again shortly. Still wondering if leaving the Caninsulin out of the fridge made that bottle ineffective, but guess the BG test is the only pointer to whether it's down to that or her being Hypo from the raised dose. Many thanks for your support - its appreciated :) xxx

18. Robin&BB

I don't think that a couple of hours outside the fridge would make the Caninsulin ineffective; I did the same thing with ProZinc one day, months ago, and it's still working just fine.:bighug:

19. Squalliesmom

20. Squalliesmom

Fwiw, I have left my Vetsulin out more than once, one time for almost 8 hours, and it's been fine.

Robin&BB likes this.
  21. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

While you work on the blood testing, can you get some KetoDiaStix to test your cat;s urine for ketones and glucose? Although less precise, it gives us some clues what is going on. See Secondary Monitoring Tools to see some other assessments which may be helpful such as dehydration checks, measuring water intake, and the number and size of urine deposits in the litter box. These plus vet labs have been used in the past to guide insulin adjustments.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Cat Ma, Trish J and Robin&BB like this.
  22. Trish J

Trish J Member

HI @Sue and Oliver (GA) @Squalliesmom & @Robin&BB Just got fresh urine test done with Bayer Keto-Diastix: Ketones tested completely negative, glucose is 10+++ 1% mmol/L 56 mg/dL 1000 - I presume that means pretty high in glucose as it's the 2nd hghest?? I don't fully understand the readings, my brain is refusing to work now! Hate to sound stupid, but does this mean she's defo not hypo?

I feel a bit overwhelmed trying to understand why she has suddenly taken such a turn.

Will try to get blood shortly. Yeah, I need to try and get some 25 gauge lancets, nowhere sells them locally, so will look online. Will try a double prick of the auto-lancet I've got on highest setting as I'm getting a bit urgent about it now. :( Thanks you lovely people xxx

23. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hi @BJM just posted them in post above. Do they make any sense to you? Thanks for any input xxx

24. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Good. Glad no ketones. Congrats on getting it. The urine test is not as good as the glucose level For knowing how the insulin is working, as her urine has made its way through her body. Blood is immediate. But it is vital for knowing if there are ketones present.

So our guess is that she is higher rather than lower.. I wouldn't do anything with that until you see how high and when. The thing to remember, and it's what the blood glucose testing tells you, is that they can bounce and drop. So a high number in the morning before the shot can be because they need more insulin but it can also be because they dropped low overnight and then bounced up. (Bouncing is when their body perceives a lower level than it is used to and releases extra glucose, resulting Ina higher than normal level). Adding more insulin to a cat who is bouncing can result in higher highs and lower lows. So it is vital to know the difference. Testing before each shot and mid way through the cycle will give you that picture.

Keep refining your testing technique, ask for tips and get some numbers. Then we can help you figure out this puzzle.

Squalliesmom and Robin&BB like this.
  25. Robin&BB

No Ketones! That's great! Will keep my fingers crossed for you on BG testing success ...:bighug:

Trish J likes this.
  26. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Urine glucose means that since the previous void, the glucose in the blood has exceeded the renal threshold for your cat (there can be individual differences among cats).
    That does NOT exclude having low glucose in the blood now - it doesn't give you current info. It suggests that is much less likely, though.

Trish J likes this.
  27. Squalliesmom

Trish, you are in much more capable hands than mine, now, thankfully! Really glad you got the ketone test, fingers crossed for the BG test! I will check back in in a bit to see how Kismet is doing. :)

28. Trish J

Trish J Member

Thanks @Sue and Oliver (GA), @Robin&BB @Squalliesmom and @BJM xxx My brain is aching, trying to understand all this, including bounces, but I'll persevere trying for Home BG and getting some numbers posted when I do, may be some hours though as I may need to go and have a little weep. I'll also find my reading glasses so I can stop making so many typos. I'm intelligent most of the time - honestly ;) Thanks for all the help xxx

29. Squalliesmom

Oh, Trish, I know how confusing and scary it can be. Don't weep too much, you are doing the right things for Kismet; where would she be without you? Right now, just concentrate on getting a BG test so you have some numbers to work with, without that you really can't know what's going on. It will get easier, you can do this! Now, take a deep breath and hug your baby! :):):)

Please keep us posted!!!

Trish J likes this.
  30. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hi @Squalliesmom, Thanks so much for your thoughts. Just to keep you posted: both me and my partner just tried to take BG, ears and foot pad. Couldn't get quite enough blood out of either, and I promise you we tried every hint and tip everyone's given, ear-warming, vaseline, double-poke, rubbing, nearly the lot! We got close, but still not enough... and the glucometer only needs a tiny amount, so you can imagine how we are here... stress city!

I'm going to have to find some different lower gauge lancets as that's the only thing I haven't been able to try as yet. Thank you so much for your good wishes. I will keep trying daily, but we've definitely all had enough tonight. Hoping she'll be better on the new bottle of Caninsulin dose tonight. Keep your fingers-crossed for us on that and I'll post back on how she's doing tomorrow. Thanks again for all the support, and I promise to try and keep the weeping to a minimum ;) xxx

31. Squalliesmom

Trish, how is Kismet doing now? Has she improved any?

Trish J likes this.
  32. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

If you're still having trouble drawing blood, you can poke 3 or 4 times in the same place with a higher # lancet. I never had luck getting blood out with a 30 lancet without poking several times. Don't worry; the poking doesn't hurt the cat. Also, be sure to aim for the "sweet spot", the area between the vein and outer ear. See sweet spot photo below. The poking will get easier.

If you got a glucose reading at the vet today, keep in mind that it is likely higher than what you'll get with home testing. Vet values can raise 100 points or more, especially with a stressed cat. Caninsulin is a shorter acting insulin so it is quite likely Kismet is not getting more than 8 or so hours of benefit on it. We will better know how it is working when you are home testing.

Attached Files:

Trish J likes this.
  33. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

I found that if I go at the blood drop from above or at a 45 deg angle I had much better luck. At first I was trying from the side and the blood would go under the strip and not enough into the strip.

Trish J likes this.
  34. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey! So I was super busy at work all day and just now noticed this thread...sorry. :( Let me ask this do you "milk" the ear? I would poke 2 or 3 times next to each other and then milk just a bit and get some blood that way at first. That helps the blood well up some so you can get some out.

Trish J likes this.
  35. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hi @Squalliesmom Lucy, Kismet seems a lot better today thanks for your concern. xxx Her urine is much more compressed and she's acting more normally too, hungry, but not as ravenous. So relieved! I think something really must have gone wrong with the Caninsulin bottle, as there's visible improvement since her dose out of the new one last night and this morning. I'm still not sure I fully understand what a `Bounce' is, but it also sounded like that could have been a possibility.

Thanks @Cat Ma and @Rachel for the advice, re testing. I may try and have another go later and try extra pokes with the lancet pen I have until I can get hold of lower gauge. Pretty sure I'm doing it in the sweet spot, but can't get more than a tiny spot out even after milking it for a couple of minutes. We had more of a result from the back paw pad but not quite enough. She went mental though, struggling and whinging and it freaked my partner out so much, that he refused to try again - I have no chance of getting access to her paws by myself.

In my defence our vet had an awful time getting blood out of her too - she said she has really thick skin and the experience there is so traumatic that the BG levels are likely to be highly inaccurate anyway. We're going back for a frustosamines test on Monday. I will also try and get another urine sample today to see if there's less glucose than yesterday.

Thanks to all for all your continued support for us xxx

Squalliesmom likes this.
  36. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Have you tried looking at your cat's ear with a flashlight? I know that's what finally worked for me. I was able to really see the vein in her ear and from there, I could determine where the sweet spot was for her. I don't know why that made such a difference from looking at the diagram, but it really did!

Don't feel bad...it's tough at first! I know the first few times I gave up figuring I would NEVER be able to do this at home. It took time, but she did eventually come running for her tests. Do you give bribes...uh...I mean treats after? I'd suggest taking her to wherever you plan to test her several times a day...pet her, play with her ears a bit, and give a treat. Even when you don't test, if you do that a couple times a day, it might get her used to the idea that in this place, you touch her ears, and she gets treats. Just a thought. It'll get easier!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  37. Squalliesmom

Hi Trish, glad to hear Kismet is doing better today! Don't give up on the home testing, it can be very frustrating, but you'll get there. What meter are you using to test with? If you can use a tiny amount of Neosporin, or even Vaseline, on her ear first, it helps the blood drop to bead rather than just trickle through the hair, plus it will help soothe her ear a little.

38. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hi Lucy, Thanks for the advice. I am using the Fastclix lancet pen that came with the Accuchek Aviva glucometer. It has a sort of barrel of lancets. I used Vaseline - can't get Neosporin in the UK unfortunately. I'm currently calling round all the local pharmacies in a wider region to see if they stock 25G freehand lancets. Would 28G work as well? They seem to be more easily available. Online lancets here seem pretty expensive and only in large amounts! Money is tight, especially as we're having to feed her cereal-free wet foods as well as vet bills and supplies. Since her Pancreatitis attack she refuses to eat the only supermarket cereal free brand, lil stubborn gal. :(

39. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hi @Rachel, yep I tried a flashlight. I can see the main vein fine and am aiming just to the side of it between vein and outside rim in the top area. I think the vet is right, she just has stubborn thick skin! I just need to find the right key to getting it right, and perhaps the lancet is not thick enough to make a big enough hole, even with a double poke and milking.

It does help knowing that other people had probs with this at first too. I do feel a bit of a failure, especially having made a few attempts now. But I won't give up easily. I really want to get her regulated before any more damage is done, especially at her age. Thanks for the advice xxx

40. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Did I remember that you have already tried resetting the lancet setting to make a bigger hole? If not, that might help too. You might try a 28 and double poke. It's the wire - the lower the number, the fatter the lancet. If your lancet device has a cover, you might try taking it off. That made it easier for me to see exactly where I was poking.

41. Trish J

Trish J Member

HI @Sue and Oliver (GA), Yes you remembered right. I've tried the deepest depth setting on two pokes yesterday. I tried it on myself and it hurt like hell, tried it on Kismet and only made a tiny puncture which wouldn't milk much at all.

I just found a pharmacy who have 23g and 28g lancets in stock, but no 25g. Which one might be the better bet? 28g? Thanks in advance!

42. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Never heard of 23. Maybe get a few of each? They shouldn't be expensive...

43. Trish J

Trish J Member

Thanks for your quick reply Sue. I can only really afford one box as they don't sell them in small numbers. Perhaps I'll go for the 28g as it seems to be mentioned a lot. The fact there's no mention of folk using 23G around here is spooking me a bit! Fingers-crossed this will be the turning point! xxx

44. Squalliesmom

Hi Trish, I started out using 28g on Squallie. One of his ears is harder to get blood from than the other, I usually end up poking that ear a little below the "sweet spot" to get blood from it. I think that ear has a patch of thicker skin in the sweet spot, it feels different when I try to poke it there. I have never used a lancing device, I have always just done it free-hand because it feels like I have better control that way. I have also found with Squall that it is easier to use the inside of his ear rather than the outside, less hair and easier to see, and he doesn't seem to mind. :)

Robin&BB likes this.
  45. Squalliesmom

46. Robin&BB

Hello, Trish - Just writing to add some words of encouragement ... I, too, use 28g lancets, free-hand. (They work really well!) I tried using the lancing device that came with my meter; found it too cumbersome for me. (And noisy! My kitty didn't like that at all.) Like Lucy said above, it feels like I have better control doing it free-hand. So you might want to give that a try, as well.

Trish J and Squalliesmom like this.
  47. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hello. I also use Vetsulin. I also use a 22g needle not a lancet. Saw my vet using this and asked why/how. I was shown to poke and sort of wiggle or scrape around. It works very well for me.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  48. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

I don't use the lancet pen, just the lancet to poke. A lot of us do it this way, the free-hand way and find it easier. What helps me is to hold the ear with a cosmetic pad (kleenex or paper towel is fine, too), poke, and the gently blot up any blood afterwards with the pad. Warming up the ear beforehand and "milking it to bleed" is also important.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Robin&BB, Trish J and Squalliesmom like this.
  49. Squalliesmom

I use a cotton ball behind the area I'm going to stick, protects fingers and is handy for easy clean-up afterwards. I usually use it to apply gentle pressure for a few seconds, too, to help stop bleeding, if necessary, and minimize bruising.

Trish J and Cat Ma like this.
  50. Squalliesmom

Hi Trish, how are you and Kismet doing today? Hope the ear pokes are getting easier! :)

Trish J likes this.
  51. Trish J

Trish J Member

HI @Squalliesmom Lucy, @Cat Ma @Robin&BB and @woodsywife. Hey, thanks for all the encouragement and info . It really is appreciated, and I am taking it all on board even though I'm loathe to report I still haven't managed to bleed Kismet enough for the test strip! I managed to buy a box of 28g Unilet Lancets. Got everything prepared, ear warmed and vaselined, treats etc. She wriggled as I was about to poke and I panicked and poked twice. Only poked her right thru the ear and tissue and stabbed myself! Result: she yowled, but still no blood from her while I bled like crazy trying to milk her ear - STILL no joy! I've decided to laugh rather than cry over it now, I WILL get there!

Kiz also decided today she didn't want to use the replacement urine test litter tray she's been fine with up to now. She just held on, even though I could see she desperately wanted to go. Afer 4 hours of this I got frightened in case she got a UTI and caved in. Of course she went straight in and did her business before I could even grab a test strip to shove under her.

I'm not giving up, but I am going to give my Home BG attempts a break for a couple of days in an effort to calm both of us. I haven't been sleeping and I think she's picking up on my stress levels, even though I've tried to be very calm around her.

Despite all this Kismet seems to be okay. Her urine is more compact during the day/evening, it's just the mornings it seems to be puddling. She's definitely had more energy today and been hungry but not ravenous. We have an appointment at the vet for blood tests on Monday. Maybe she can give me some extra pointers.

Lucy, thank you so much for all your support in particular! People on this forum have been so lovely and generous with their time, it really is a lifesaver. It does give me the impetus to get beyond the despair and stay determined to keep trying :) Bless you All xxx

52. Trish J

Trish J Member

@Squalliesmom. That's interesting that Squallie has thicker skin in one ear. Kismet has one ginger ear, one black. I keep trying on the ginger one cos it's easier to see the vein and it's on my right hand side when her back is turned. Maybe I need to try poking her black ear in case the skin is more responsive there? Definitely worth a try. Thanks for that! xxx

53. Squalliesmom

You will get there, I promise! Just like you are patient with Kismet, you have to be patient with yourself, as well. :) And you are very welcome, I'm sure, from everybody here. Keep us up to date on Kismet's and your progress, please! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Trish J and Robin&BB like this.
  54. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

@Trish J, I'm still learning about bounces also. I certainly can not offer advice for that. I could not find what kind of meter you are using and I am only familiar with alpha trac 2. But maybe I can offer these insights. The strips I use can get blood from either side, I don't knows if yours does. And sometimes i used both sides. One day I really read the directions. It said not to. But yet I couldn't get the meter to beep and some blood drops were definitely enough. I practiced on my self. I found the angle I held it at was the problem. Smokey has dark ears with long hair in them. I could never find the sweet spot as shown in the picture someone posted above. I get blood from middle of ear where the vet showed me. Once I corrected these I have no problems. Having a cat that cooperates is very important and my Smokey just lies down for me. I can not for any reason use one ear. It just won't bleed and Smokey does fight me on that ear. Maybe these tips will help.

Trish J, Robin&BB and Squalliesmom like this.
  55. Robin&BB

Hi, Trish - Wow, you've had quite the day! Just popping in to say hang in there - we all have great faith in you ... and bless your heart, you're so determined. I KNOW you'll get there with this ear-poking business!:bighug: - Robin

Squalliesmom likes this.
  56. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

@Trish J Try testing when Kismet is sleeping/relaxed. Be sure to use lots of praises and have a low carb treat handy. I used to have to chase after CJ but now she sits and waits to be poked! I sing to her before I poke and that calms us both. You will find what works for you and Kismet. It will get easier!

Trish J, Robin&BB and Squalliesmom like this.
  57. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hi @Squalliesmom @Robin&BB @woodsywife and @Cat Ma, at some point soon I'll learn how to do more of those emot0-thingies, but for now: xxxxxxx :) Thanks for all the great tips. I have an Accucheck glucometer, btw, it's supposed to need a miniscule amount of blood, which was one of the reasons I chose it and on recommendation from other good folk around here. Even the vet struggles getting blood out of the fluffy one. But on my next try, definitely going to try the other ear and maybe I'll sing to her too, I like to think she enjoys my little nonsensical songs for her, but haven't done that while testing, so TY for that too @Cat Ma ! :) She gets treats for her insulin, for exercising and my sorry BG attempts. :)

Can I ask another question? I did the Ketodiastix urine test tonight about two hours before her insulin shot. It tested very high like the other day when her Caninsulin failed, yet she's been much better overall since being on the new bottle. My vet told me to feed her little and often and she had a small meal just before this. Should I avoid feeding her at any point in the insulin cycle or is this likely just the Caninsulin dropping off? She seems to start yowling for food around 10 hours after the first insulin injection and her tray is always fuller in the morning, though it seems to be a lot less during the day. She's on a high protein/very low carb diet, so I don't even understand how she's producing so much glucose!

Any thoughts or good links much appreciated. :) xxx

58. Robin&BB

I'm not well-versed in diabetic ketoacidosis, but if you're seeing a "very high" readout from a ketone test, it's my understanding that Kismet should see a vet right away, because you don't want DKA to develop. How many days ago did you get that other high reading?

59. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@Robin&BB ....I don't think she's talking about the ketone measurement....the Ketodistix urine strips also measure for glucose and I think that's what she's talking about by measuring "very high", but you're correct....if you're measuring for ketones, anything over a "trace" is a medical emergency

@Trish J Without going back through all your posts, has anyone given you the list of low carb Foods available in the UK? I see Kismet has a cereal allergy, but generally, low carb is also going to be low on any types of grains

I totally understand you're having lots of problems with testing, but I know you'll get there!!

Here's something I wrote up for others...maybe it'll help you too!

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing. Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you. Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat. Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothing better than truly understanding what's going on inside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the more power you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too. As silly as it might seem, try singing! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

It's also important to make sure his ear is warm. A small sock filled with a little rice and microwaved or a small pill bottle filled with warm water (check temp against your wrist like you would a baby bottle) works well

Finding the right "treat" will be a great help too! Freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes, little pieces of baked chicken...whatever low carb treat you can find that he really enjoys will help him to associate the testing with the treat! China's Achilles heel was baked chicken, so I'd bake a piece, chop it into bite sized pieces, put some in the refrigerator and freeze the rest to use as needed. It didn't take long for her to come any time I picked up the meter!

By desensitizing him to having his ears fooled with and having him associate a special spot with food, maybe it'll really help get those REAL tests in!

60. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hi Robin, Thanks for your quick reply and concern. The Ketone part of the test stick is negative thankfully! :) The KetoDiastix do both glucose and ketones. It's the glucose that is high 10 hours after her insulin. As far as I understand it, she shouldn't have any glucose in her urine if she is regulated?

I know it's early days and she isn't fully regulated yet... also that the urine test isn't as good as the home BG! Can't help wondering whethera high reading 10 hours after her insulin means that the Caninsulin loses effectiveness way too early and whether free feeding her might be responsible.?!

Regards, Trish J

Robin&BB likes this.
  61. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hi @Chris & China,
    Yes I've read through that UK Low Carb list - it's been really useful thanks. :) and you're right Kismet is grain-free because she was vomiting everytime we fed her anything containing grains. Unfortunately I realise now a lot of the grain-free foods may have still been High Carb. :(

Because she had an awful attack of Pancreatitis and wouldn't eat for three days around the time she was diagnosed, I took the decision to move her straight on to High Protein very Low Carb wet food. I don;t see why that would cause any glucose rise, but wondering if the free-feeding the vet suggested has an effect on her insulin. I know food and insulin are related, I just can't get my head around how exactly! :)

The Home BG probs I think are simply down to a mix of her thick skin and wriggling and my stress unnerving her! I'm determined to get there, but taking a break on attempts for a few days in order to calm both of us down. I also have the `Kitty Crack' Thrive treats she goes insane for - they are eating through my bank overdraft as fast as she eats them ;) xxx

Squalliesmom likes this.
  62. Squalliesmom

Hi Trish. In my brief experience with Vetsulin (Caninsulin) I have found that, for Squallie, it does tend to lose some effectiveness around 10 hours. I can't speak to the free-feeding; all my cats were free-fed until Squallie was diagnosed, at which point I changed over to regulated feedings, and also began weaning them off dry food (What a challenge, I can't believe we've come so far!). I make sure Squallie gets snacks when his BG starts to drop, he always lets me know, lol.

What kind of food is she eating when you free-feed?

63. Robin&BB

@Chris & China , @Trish J - Yowza! Thanks for that clarification, you guys; I'm so relieved.:)
    (Nothing like a slight shot of adrenaline to ward off that after-lunch sleepiness, eh?;))

Trish J likes this.
  64. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hiya Lucy, :)

That's interesting, does Squallie still `drop off' on Caninsulin even if he's regulated? Were you advised to regulate his food post-diagnosis, or did you have another reason for changing from free-feeding?

I'm feeding Kismet a mix of Thrive Complete wet food - very expensive and virtually all meat and broth! - and home-cooked rabbit/chicken stew with lots of added broth and cat-nutrients like taurine, B vits, bonemeal/calcium (I've ordered some Fellini feline nutrients to ensure it's as complete as any processed cat food). Also a few Thrive treats which are just dehydrated meat/fish. Apart from a bit of fat there's no actual starchy carbs in her diet now.

Previous to her pancreatitis she ate the only grain-free wet food in the supermarket along with grain free kibble. Afterwards she refused both, perhaps becuase of the nausea assocation.

My vet - who admits she isn't experienced with feline diabetes - told me to feed her little and often and just add protein to tinned cat food with tuna and sardines. I've always been under the impression too much fish isn't so good for cats though! I'm now wondering whether free-feeding is affecting the insulin, or whether this is just the way Caninsulin works - it makes me nervous though!

65. Trish J

Trish J Member

Aw Bless you. After soooo much sleeplessness lately with the fluff-monster Kismet, it's good to know people care enough to shout out :) xxx

66. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There is an FDMB guide on using Vetsulin/Caninsulin here. Thought you might find it helpful to read over. One of the important notes is to allow some time after eating before you shoot.

Trish J likes this.
  67. Trish J

Trish J Member

Hi @BJM, sorry for the delay in reply, but thanks for pointing me to that Caninsulin link. Very helpful and somewhat reassuring, as I've almost instinctually been using a lot of the recommendations given and also explains the ongoing problems we've been having. Appt at vet's today for Fructosamine Blood Test and I will discuss whether Caninsulin is the best option for her. Regards, Trish

68. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'll be interested in hearing what the vet thinks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.