Advice needed: Lucy 17/11/15 PMPS 61 +2 43 +2.5 63 +3.5 94 +5.75 61 +8 56 +10 52 AMBG 63 +3 65

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Voula, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

I am beginning to think I shouldn't have dosed a falling green number. I just gave my Lucy some honey and high carb food. I gave a reduced dose of 1.5 units from the current 1.75 units as per one of the options in the Roomp/Rand protocol when BG is between 2.8/50 and 5.5/100. I know not many people on the board use this option but I feel more comfortable doing so. Though I can see the depot in action now. I am taking reductions on the first BG under 2.8/50 even though I know with long term diabetes the protocol says three BG readings under 2.8/50. My current unpredictable schedule and my anxiety is the main factor in my decision to be more cautious.
    My previous post:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/our-update.147250/#post-1531344

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Wow - nice shooting and great catch! Looks like she's still wobbling around a bit - hopefully she came back up a little at that +5.75. When it comes to shooting greens, you ultimately have to do what you're comfortable with, and if that means shooting a reduced dose, that is perfectly fine!

Voula likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice shooting. You have to do what you need to do to keep her safe. I hope she surfs safely today.

Voula likes this.
  4. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Lucy has had green numbers all night and again this morning at AMBG and of course I have made a commitment to help a family member today and I need to meet that commitment so I have a few options because I have never dosed a green number and left the house for hours and I don't think it is wise after the BG levels last night that needed high carb and honey regularly almost at every test to stay up. I can give Lucy a much reduced dose of insulin or seeing as we are at AMBG at +12.75 now and still at 3.5/63 I could simply give the dose when I get home about halfway through the AM cycle as my schedule is flexible or else just count this dose as a fur dose. Last night was highly unusual because I thought if I dosed with a BG of 3.4/61 the BG would rise by the time the next dose took effect but it kept dropping so at PM +2 it was lower and that was with some high carb food in addition to the low carb food at PMPS. Then honey and high carb raised the BG to 5.2/94 at +3. But further honey and high carb at +5 wore off by the next test. I was so exhausted I didn't get up when the alarm went off and so the next test was at +8 when I gave Lucy a teaspoon of high carb. Then at +10 with a BG of 2.9/56 I gave Lucy low carb food as it was late in the cycle but the AMBG at +12.75 was only 3.5/63. So what happened was something unexpected and that was no bounce. I fully expected a bounce after the 2.4/43 at +2 but it didn't happen all night and we are still in excellent green numbers this morning. I have noticed that lately it seems the bounces clear much faster and even after late or skipped doses it doesn't take as long for Lucy's glucose levels to improve again. But I can't monitor for half the morning cycle and even if I gave a much reduced dose I would worry too much so as much as I don't want to stop this great run of numbers I think I will go earlier to help my family member and dose about five or so hours late. I could dose now and monitor for five hours but if we are facing a hypoglycemic episode at almost half way through the cycle then I won't leave Lucy and I do have to fulfill my commitment today as my family member relies on my assistance. So my feeling is to delay the dose. I am hoping that without further insulin that Lucy will be okay until I get home. I worry because Lucy has a tendency to continue on in green numbers at times for up to 20 hours after an insulin dose. Any opinions most welcome thank you.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Voila, I think your options are to dose later or skip, because you cannot be around to monitor. Lucy's depot looks a little overfull so you need to do something to reduce it. Skip or delay.

She is looking really good, in spite of the bad timing.:D

Voula likes this.
  6. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Wendy for confirming what I think is the wise thing to do to skip or delay the dose. I am thinking there shouldn't be any hypoglycemia as we are now a bit past the dose time but I will do a BG test shortly before I go and see what that is. Thank you again.

7. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Still green numbers at +15 after insulin last night so hopefully it is okay for me to go out. I haven't given Lucy any insulin this morning. I will leave plenty of food out and I just gave her some high carb food with a little honey though that was probably unnecessary. I will leave the icam on and am not far away in any case.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Voula, hope Lucy was OK while you were out.......I am sure she was. It is hard when they are running low and you have to go out. Looks like you have made the best decision to skip. Will be interesting to see what she is at at PMPS

Voula likes this.
  9. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

This seems like quite the change from the numbers of the past couple of weeks. Lovely long stretch of green but that must've been a little bit nerve-wracking!

Hope you were able to get out and help your family today.

Voula likes this.
  10. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Hi Bron. Lucy was fine while I was out and I checked in on her through the icam. I love modern technology. Her PMPS was quite good considering we skipped the morning dose. It was 12.9/232 so I was happy with that considering the skipped dose in the morning. I was a little anxious going out but I went out at +15 so I thought the chances of hypoglycemia at that time were low even though Lucy's glucose level was 3.6/65. I think it was the right decision to skip the morning dose. Thank you for replying and I hope you are doing okay and all your health issues can be resolved very soon and that you have no more issues.

11. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you Julie. It was a bit nerve wracking last night through the night as the honey and high carb didn't seem to last long in their effects. But it was nice to see the long stretch of green numbers. I am quite happy with the PMPS tonight considering we missed the morning dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.