Advice needed: Zoot! numbers decreasing slowly - timing of interim tests

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cinnie Cole, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Hi All,

So we upped Zoot!'s insulin to 1.5 unit 2X day eight days ago. At first his numbers were up and down, but in the last six cycles they have declined at every pre-dose test. (285, 215, no reading, 204, 187, 167). We are very happy to see his numbers decreasing, but want to be sure it is not happening too quickly.

Note that we were not doing interim testing because he was getting extremely belligerent and vicious toward us. However I have found a method in the past couple of days that suggests we could test him a bit more frequently, so I am going to try to get three interim tests in today.

What would you recommend for the timing of the interim tests to see if he is on too rapid a downward trend?

Thanks,

Cinnie

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

From your spreadsheet, it looks like you're thinking about test times parallels mine: +3, +6, and +9.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  3. Robert Vittetoe

Robert Vittetoe Member

I’m to new and inexperienced to give advice but my cat is getting very test reluctant and snapping at me. I would be interested in what you are doing test wise. I have a treat he loves and very fortunate he will get on my lap but the game changes once I touch his ears. He did really good for about 2 weeks.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  4. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Hi! Here is what I have come up with through much trial and error.

Zoots was good the first week then gradually got more and more impatient too. I was so confused and frustrated. There are some posts from me on this board where I was utterly despondent. Now, I am getting better.

You are so lucky he will get on your lap. Finally now we no longer have to pick Zoot! up to test him - he hops on to a chair in my office by the "treat drawer".

• I found that massaging his ears gently periodically throughout the day so he gets used to my touching them (touching his ears was what would send Zoot! into biting scratching mode) helped. After you massage them (just a couple of minutes) give him a treat. (Zoot loves neck scratches, so I incorporate that in my process.)
    • Then when I test, I try to leave him in a sitting/resting position with his face facing away from me - his anxiety would skyrocket when he saw me coming toward him with the lancet or meter. I also think he hated my holding him down (gently) with my arm in my attempts to get the reading.
    • In the morning when he is frantic for food, I use a fleece to wrap around him to prevent his running or agitating - secure it with some kind of clip (or I would lend you my husband but it might be too far to travel :)).
    • I also finally started to use the lancet freehand - I was really reluctant to do that cause I was scared - but honestly, seeing exactly where you are pricking the ear is invaluable.
    • Find a Relion Micro or other meter that takes less blood to get a reading. It makes a huge difference.

On one of my frantic posts Ti-Mousse posted her experience:

"What worked for me also:
    28 gauge (not too small, not too big)
    freehand lancets (you see and can choose where you poke)
    ears have to be WARM.. without that blood won't flow! (for me the washcloth worked better than the sock); massage the ear;
    there are spots that bleed a little better than others, often close to the edge; try to notice where;
    with a cotton pad, apply pressure to both sides of the ear for 20-30 seconds to stop bleeding and prevent bruises
    AB with pain relief cream after! and TREATS"

Good luck!

Robert Vittetoe likes this.
  5. Robert Vittetoe

Robert Vittetoe Member

Thanks! I’m going to try the technique of letting him sit in the chair by himself and not on my lap. It may give me more maneuver room. It seems our cats are a lot alike but I don’t think I could ever try the fleece wrap. Thanks again!

6. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I agree - I have been following your posts (no, I am not a stalker). Similar issues for sure.

Robert Vittetoe likes this.