Advice needed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by fionaian417, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fionaian417

fionaian417 New Member

hello everyone!

My cat Ian just became insulin dependent after 5 years in remission. He is my heart and soul and I feel like I’m going to lose my mind. He started one unit of Lantus once a day on Thursday (5 days ago) and his dose got upped to one unit twice a day. Giving him his doses 12 hours apart is extremely difficult because I work long hours that change sometimes. We live in Queens, NY does anyone know of a service where Someone could come in and check his sugar, and dose him? I checked on wag.com and I didn’t see any such service. I just want to get him regulated and safe.

Also could lantus cause his sugar to be high? I gave him 1 unit last night at 10:15 pm and I just checked his sugar now and it was 424 it seems like it’s just going up.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to FDMB. Sorry you have had to join us but glad you found us.

Lantus does need to be dosed twice daily as close to 12 hours apart as possible which can be a bit problematic when work schedules are long shifts or change but there are folks who manage. There is also another insulin that is a bit more forgiving with the timing of shots that might suit your situation better. You might want to check with some vet's offices to see if any vet techs would be willing to come by to give shots when you are not available.

In the meantime, I suggest you repost in the Health forum HERE with a title that indicates you are looking for help with shots in Queens, NY as there may be other members here in your area who can offer more specific suggestions.

3. fionaian417

fionaian417 New Member

Thank you so much for your reply. I just spoke to the vet and he said continue the 2 doses daily and try my best to get it within the 12 hour range. I will post now to find someone in my area that can hopefully help with his dosing. He’s a picture of my lil hunk Ian from the summer 883576B9-C99C-4E4E-97D1-3CA96FED08DD.jpeg

Bellasmom and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

He's a very handsome little dude! Obviously very patient too! :D

fionaian417 likes this.
  5. fionaian417

fionaian417 New Member

He is SO patient, and such a good boy!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  6. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

So handsome

fionaian417 likes this.
  7. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Have you called any pet sitting services and asked if they have dealt with any diabetic cats? I called around here and some said they had but never tested, so what I did was have a lady who was very interested in learning come over (she owns) and I taught her how to test and made copies of info from stickies for her, just an idea

8. fionaian417

fionaian417 New Member

I found someone off of wag. She also wanted to learn and was a natural at testing, and giving his insulin. I got very lucky!

Bellasmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.