Advice on another kitty.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jen & Cosmo, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen & Cosmo

Jen & Cosmo Member

Okay, so one of my other foster kitties blood counts are really low. The crazy thing is he looks and acts very healthy.
    His combo test was negative for everything.

He's had a convenia injection because his WBC was really high. That fixed that, his RBC continues to drop. He's been on 11 days of steroids, and a week of doxicyline. His RBC continues to drop. Nothing is helping his numbers.

I'm taking him to another vet today at my Vet's recommendation.

These are his numbers today.
    RBC 2.82
    HCT 15.6%
    HGB 6.0 g/dL
    MVC 55.3 fl
    MCH 21.3
    MCHC 38.5 g/dl

EOS 0.10 K/ul

These are all the low numbers. Everything else is in range. I have a pic of his full blood work if anyone wants me to text it or email
    It to them.

What should we be looking for. I should mention he had a PCR testing for bartonella's and that was negative.

Waiting for a copy of all his blood work and then I'm taking him to the other vet.

Any advice is welcomed.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Does the reticulocyte (immature red blood cell) count indicate regenerative or non-regenerative anemia?
    Regenerative means that the bone marrow is reacting to the low HCT and producing extra red blood cells to try toe bring up the HCT to normal. If regenerate then red blood cells are being killed before their time/being lost via internal bleeding too fast.
    If non-regenerative that means the bone marrow is NOT trying to make up for the low HCT.

3. Jen & Cosmo

Jen & Cosmo Member

Hi, his reticulocyte is actually high. So it does indicate regenerative. They re-combo tested him and said he's tested positive for feline leukemia. He was tested in December, and he tested negtive. He has gained weight, he's not been sick an any way. I feel so blindsided. I'm having a hard time believe this. I asked them to do an IFA to see what that says.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.