Advice on low readings

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by paul, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul

paul Member

I just want some advice and opinions on some low readings I've been getting.

Julius is currently on one unit of Lantus two times a day and I have done two blood tests recently which were at 100.8 and 102.6 and the two tests were taken half an hour after eating a gigantic breakfast.

I know I should be doing blood tests before he eats breakfast but he is just a bundle of energy first thing in the morning wanting food and I just can not keep him still to do a blood test.

So I have two questions:

1) Are these numbers too low half an hour after eating breakfast?

2) If I was to perform a blood test IMMEDIATELY after eating would I get the same reading as taking a blood test BEFORE eating? I'm making the assumption that the food wouldn't have time to change his glucose level if I do the test straight afterwards.

Any advice would be great and thank you.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Possibly, but without more data, it's impossible to know for sure. What's important with Lantus is how low it's taking them at nadir (the lowest point in the cycle) which is usually 5 to 7 hours after the shot. Anything below 50 is getting too low and means a dose reduction

Yes...it takes about 15-20 minutes for the food to effect the BG number. What a lot of us do is test them while their head is in the food bowl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.