Advice on newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by adavid861, Jan 17, 2020.

1. adavid861

adavid861 New Member

Our little one (Apollo) is newly diagnosed and is currently on 1.5u - was 2u to start, then 1u. Our vet has been wonderful, and we are working together on a plan to manage this but I've seen so much good down on these boards that I would love for you to look over a couple graphs from the last couple of days.

The problem we have been seeing is he is high in the morning, and high before feeding at night. He is fed twice a day, wet food only.

I've attached two graphs.

Attached Files:

2. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

I'm a newbie, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I think members are going to need more information before they can advise you. What type of wet food? How often is he being fed, many small meals through day and night, or big meals only 2 times a day? Is it possible for you to set up a spreadsheet, as this is a much more familiar way for us to look at information. Have you done a curve yet--testing every 2-3 hours throughout the day?

If you want to set up a spreadsheet, there is good information here at FDMB SPREADSHEET INSTRUCTIONS and at Understanding the FDMB Grid. The more information we have, the better more experienced members can help you.

This is also a great place to start- New? How You Can Help Us Help You. Also, consider posting a introducing thread on the main Welcome/ Health section of the forum. More people visit it than the specific types of insulin forums, and you may get faster responses.

This whole thing can be confusing and overwhelming at first, but it sounds like you have an awesome vet and are taking great care of your sweet furbaby. You rock!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Reason for edit: So many typos.
  3. Amy and Socks

Amy and Socks Member

How long ago was your diagnosis? It's a slow process, so don't be discouraged if you don't see results right away. If I understand your statement correctly "The problem we have been seeing is he is high in the morning, and high before feeding at night.", then that is not unusual. The insulin works on a curve- before the insulin shot, numbers are higher. After the shot is given, the insulin begins to work and the levels go down, until it reaches nadir (or peak), usually around +4 to +7 hours after injection. Then levels will start to rise again. This is why you give two shots per day- the insulin works for about 12 hours. Every cat is different, and every insulin is slightly different, but that's the general idea of how it works.

Starting a spreadsheet is the best way to get started. It's super helpful for anyone wanting to help you, but it's really helpful for you as well, since it'll help you see the big picture and any trends that are occurring.

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

People usually start in the Main Forum first. More people there to assist. Sometimes. Busy place this message board. And we are all volunteers. Please start a new thread in the Main Health forum. Not many people here and you will get more people to help you in the Main Health forum. You can copy your post from here to there.

5. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

According to the bg numbers you've measured that is good numbers you have on that 1 unit insulin twice a day a.m and p.m.

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Please post in the Main Forum. Not enough people here to help.