Advice on Timmie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jo-Anne Croghan, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jo-Anne Croghan

Jo-Anne Croghan New Member

My name is Jo-Anne, and am from Stone Mountain, Georgia. My 11-12 year old cat Timmie was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of months ago, and was hospitalized for a couple of days with BG at about 600. He can be a loving cat, but does not like being handled. We are managing, but it has been difficult. He is improving, but the sugar level is still too high.

He started at 2 units of Vetsulin and we are currently at 5 units twice a day. I think we are almost there. He is gaining weight and is acting himself. My problem is he is high strung, I know the readings are higher than what they should be, at the vet. The vet is considering switching him to Lantis, which is expensive. I feel I need more time to perfect injections....he sometimes moves, with possible fur shots. It is also possible when he has moves, the injection hurt him. I out outright uncooperative with taking glucose reading, so I have not done that much. We are almost done with his first bottle of Vetsulin.

I am determined to make this work. I have had cats for years with multiple issues and have handled them well.

This is also a multi cat household with other issues. I do not isolate Timmie from the others at feeding because it increases handling him. I do put the same food in a two bowls with another cat that he likes mooching from him.

Questions: Of course the vet is recommending prescription diet food. I am using some at this point, but he does not like it. From what I have read, it is not necessary, but I am not going to but heads with the vet now. Otherwise he gets high protein pate. I also cook chicken tenders and liver for him. Comments on food is requested. Recommended brand and flavors is very much appreciated.

Comments on insulin used: The Vetsulin seems to be working at this point. Comments on other insulin products and cheaper places to purchase them, in case we have to switch. The Vetsulin price is not ridiculous.

Suggestions on taking glucose reading on a difficult cat.

Thank you for taking your valuable time to assist me.

2. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

A lot of people feed fancy feast or friskies wet food, most of the varieties are really low carb and very affordable. You can purchase Lantus for about $300 at the pharmacy, or I think $120 for Marks Marine in Canada. That price includes shipping. Some people give kitty a treat when it's testing time. Then they know they get something out of the deal, too.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! :)

Sounds like your boy is a bit of a handful so some frequent desensitization exercises could help. Whether it's for shots or BG testing, you might try a special area where it happens and take him there multiple times a day for actions that mimic injecting or testing (but it doesn't happen), pets, scritches and a low carb treat (freeze dried meat or fish works well - Pure Bites is one brand). There are owners of near feral kitties that have been successful with this over time. It can take a while so don't lose hope. There might be useful tips here:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Re injections: are you using the scruff? Have you tried feeding a little snack/treats to distract him while you give the injection? Have you tried longer or shorter needles or an alternate injection site?

Re food: could Timmie and his eating buddy have the same food - ie., low carb wet food? Many of us feed Friskies and Fancy Feast pates. There's an excellent food list you can look at here for other options: http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Re insulin: if you feel Vetsulin is working you could continue because it's a lot easier on the wallet than Lantus.

4. Jo-Anne Croghan

Jo-Anne Croghan New Member

He is a handful. Up until a year ago, I could not get him into a pet carrier to go to the vet. I had to resort to improvising and using a bigger storage container with air holes. When he lost weight
    due to the diabetes, he was less Rambo-like and it was easier to get him to the vet. In addition, he likes soft sided carriers better. I could not have imagined treating him a year ago. I am actually
    shocked that this has progressed as well as it has. I have had to experiment with techniques to determine the best way to administer injections. Now I bait him with a treat, then on the counter he
    goes with his back to the fridge, injection, then reward. No escape route. I tried the tenting at first, but then he would complain and move....sometimes he got the injection, sometimes fur shots, and I think I injected him,
    and it hurt. Now I am pulling the fur up and it seems to be working better. He was an un-neutered tom cat that arrived at about 1.5 years. He is a loving cat if he is in control.

The eating buddies get the same low carb wet food. I have not tried different sized needles. I currently use Monoject U-40 1mL, 28G x 1/2 inch insulin syringes. I probably get different sites because he squirms.
    The possible switching to Lantus was because the reading was still too high, I had a very encouraging reading today. I would like to continue with this product since there has been a definite learning and acceptance
    curve. He definitely is acting healthy, eats well, less urination and drinking, and has gained at least two of the five pounds he lost.

I will try the desensitization with him with mock injections. I also have been giving him positive reinforcement at times other than trying to snag him for treatment.
    Things have improved, but we have a ways to go.

Thank you for the links!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.