? Advice on what to use to clean wound after surgery

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by katiesmom, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

My civvie, Anabelle, had a small growth/cyst removed on her lower lip on Tuesday. It's right where her canine tooth touches the lower lip. Vet just told me to clean 2x a day with dial soap or "whatever".
    Because of the location, anything I put there she is going to get a little bit in her mouth and ingested, even after trying to rinse (it's really hard to clean it because of location).
    Soap & water isnt working, the taste is getting her mouth, peroxide made it worse. I just got done messing with it and it looks like I made it much worse, it's all open now ( I was trying to be gentle, darn it).
    Any suggestions what I can put on it to clean it/help it heal that would be safe on her mouth?

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hmm, I would try a little high grade organic cold-pressed coconut oil. It's known for it's anti bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, and healing properties. Coconut oil would also be safe to use, has numerous benefits, and Annabelle might even like the taste of it!

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you dilute the peroxide with water, 50/50, that may help. I know when I had dental work done, my dentist recommended using that as a mouth wash instead of the nasty tasting stuff they normally prescribed.

4. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Peroxide damages fragile new tissue so you want to avoid. You can buy normal saline wound wash at most pharmacies. If you are thinking that you need something with some anti-microbial action, you can add small amount of white or apple cider vinegar to it. Easiest way to clean that area would be to get a medicine syringe, and use it to spray the area gently. If there's no signs of infection, you really don't need any medicated things or harsh anti-bacterials such as dial soap.

Sharon14 and StephG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.