Advice please: 2 Mnths, gained 3+ lbs, food control help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darnell & Sprocket (GA), Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, Sprocket was diagnosed end of February. He is on Landis 3 units 2xday. He was in hospital 7 days, we almost lost him. Blood tests normal 3rd week in March.
    We are still trying to home test, I posted help for that already.
    He had a curve March 23rd, between 400 n 500 so they upped his 2 units to 3 units.
    After a few weeks, he looks better, seems to feel better. He is active, curious, playful, social, even getting snuggly. At hospital, he was about 12.5 lbs, now I weighed him with me, and subtracted to have him at 16 lbs.
    Not sure if its muscle or fat though, how can you tell?

I am pretty sure he is part Maine Coon, with his size and markings.
    I also have a small 8lb calico, Cordelia, to feed, who loves to eat.
    I have been feeding them Fancy Feast, Iams, Sheba, and Friskies canned food. I split each can equally, but Cordelia doesn't always eat all of her portion.
    I usually feed them at 6am, between 10am-12pm, between 2-3pm, 6pm, and between 11pm-1am. The 6 o clock's are insulin time.
    I have read the charts but its really confusing.

So obviously I need to cut back but how, when they act hungry all the time. Oh, and maybe 1/4 cup of diabetic dry food sometimes, (I have been trying to wein them off the dry).
    Also, Sprocket suddenly has become a milk monster too. He will smell it from across the room, and come slithering in. I have to cover my glass constantly now. He has even walked past meat, getting on table, to get milk, when we turn our back for a moment.
    He is getting slick and fast! Lol. He literally walked past meat!!
    I know he shouldn't have any right?
    Ok, so help in any way.
    Thanks,
    Darnell & Sprocket.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If she is 2/3 his size, of course she will eat less ... around 2/3 of what he eats, give or take.
    Add a tablespoon or two of water to the canned food to provide more volume.
    Spreading food thinly across a large plate will slow down scarfing.
    Catsip is a safe dairy product for some cats; it still has some carbohydrate in it.

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.