Advice please

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Clare & Jerry, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clare & Jerry

Clare & Jerry New Member

Hi there

Jerry (the B&W cat in the pic) was diagnosed just over a year ago - he's 19 years old but looks and acts more like a young teenager! Other than his diabetes he hasn't had any problems and is doing pretty well for an old man :)

He had been pretty stable and I was hoping he was heading into remission - and then his numbers started rising! I couldn't pin it to anything in particular until I got home last night and noticed that he has a swollen area on the left hand side of his face under his eye roughly at the height of his jawline - I'm guessing it's either an abscess or problems with his teeth.

I've had a great vet who has just gone on maternity leave but before that I've not had the best experiences with the other vets in the practice so whilst I'm seeing someone tomorrow I've not seen before I'm really worried about what they may prescribe for him - he's booked in tomorrow morning (UK) time.

Can anyone provide me with any guidance please, specifically if there are any medicines we need to avoid?

Many thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

No one else has responded so I will share my meagre info. You may want to change title to put a ? in the beginning and add the type of advice needed.
    I spoke with my vet technician who is very experienced with diabetes in cats and humans and this is some excerpts from what she said. I was talking to her about teeth cleaning.
    Hope this helps...
    -Periodic testing of blood glucose levels to ensure that she is well controlled under anesthetic.
    -sugar injection (dextrose) ready in case we need it
    -normally fast our surgical patients for about 12 hours prior to the procedure, but we won't do that for Smokey as we need her to maintain her sugars. We would only fast her for 2 hours prior
    -monitor her really closely for vomiting during the procedure (because not fasted)

Hope your kitty does well...:bighug:

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Have you had it looked at? A tooth infection can definitely make numbers climb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.