Advice Please!!!!!! :)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Cindy Lamy, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindy Lamy

Cindy Lamy Member

Hello,
    I have been off the message board for a while. We had a death in the family and even though I have been shooting on time, I have been slacking in my testing. I took advice from someone and upped Butter's dose of Prozinc to 3.75 but I really don't see much of a difference in his numbers. I am really not sure what I am doing and what I am waiting for. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Thanks in advance. Cindy & Butter Boy

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

How about this: keep Butter's dose as is for a bit (maybe for 2 or 3 days) and get daily middle cycle tests around +5 to +7 and one evening test daily. This is to establish a new baseline. Then you can raise his dose to 4 u on a day when you can do a few more tests and we'll take it from there. Life gets in the way sometimes and we have to get routines going again. How's he feeling?

Yong & Maury GA, Rachel and Caitlin M like this.
  3. Cindy Lamy

Cindy Lamy Member

Thank you for your response. I feel at a loss. I really don't want to take him back to my vet as he seems puzzled with the way he is not responding. I will take your advice and try doing what you said. He doesn't seem sick but he was diagnosed in May so maybe I am just use to him. He lays around a lot and eats a lot. He makes a few trips outside in the backyard but doesn't stay out long. He never really did. When I first started testing his levels they were over 500 so they are lower now but no way good. He has started to urinate on the carpet as well as his box. He will just do it right in front of us. Maybe a trip to the vet to rule out a UTI is needed. I have spent close to $1000 on his care since May and I am trying to do what I can without the vet as he doesn't seem to help much anyway. Thank you for your advice. It is appreciated more than you know and just having someone to talk to about it helps too!!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Oh, much better preshot on the 23rd! I do suspect you will have to go up to 4 units next.
    Next time you are home for the day, do a curve so we can see.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

we can all relate to high vet bills. I've spent just over 7 k since april... it's nuts. haha His inappropriate peeing is just letting you know he still doesn't feel good. You could try adding another box or two... or if he's going just outside his box, put down puppy training pads.

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It's a tough thing to deal with, Cindy. Just know that we're here for you too, when you need to vent or cry or anything else!

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Feel free to vent any time. This is hard. I do think we can help you to get Butter on track if you're up for extra testing, data logging and making careful dose increases. That recent yellow pre shot is a good sign. He might have some insulin resistance built up from being high for a while. It can be caused by glucose toxicity - his body doesn't respond as well to the insulin as it should because high BG has affected his ability to do so. It's not as bad as it sounds: small, regular dose increases will get you (eventually) to his "breakthrough" dose and then you start to see his BGs come down. That turnaround can be quite dramatic sometimes.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Our condolences for your family loss :bighug:. For Butter Boy, I agree with the suggestion plan of action and also think the yellows are good signs.

9. Cindy Lamy

Cindy Lamy Member

Thank you all so much! I am gong to test as much as I can and take him to the vet soon to test for a uti. I will also get another box. It really helps to know that there are people in my corner. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.