Advice please!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Zoey & Carol, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoey & Carol

Zoey & Carol Member

Can someone please check Zoey's spreadsheet? I know it looks pretty bizarre for the whole month of January. She had been very sick, almost died, from kidney failure at the end of December and the first couple of weeks of January. For the first 3 weeks she had been eating kidney diet food, when she would eat at all. Then her labs greatly improved, and with the help of Tanya's website, I found several foods that would work for both diabetes and kidney issues: low carb, low phosphorus, and lower protein. Since then, she has been eating well, gaining weight, and pretty much back to her old self.

However, lately she has been too low to shoot several times. I increased her insulin to 1.8 a couple of weeks ago, which seemed to be good for a while. I don't know if it's working too well or what's going on! Any advice would be most appreciated!

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, drop back to 1.6u and see how that goes. Also, when you get a number that's too low to shoot, stall for 30 minutes without feeding and test again. If the number is rising, it's usually okay to shoot then. If you're not sure if it's rising enough, post and get some eyes on it. But you have a few cycles where you saw the rise and shot late. If you can see the rise sooner, you can shoot sooner and get flatter cycles with gradually lowering pre-shot values (which is what you want). When you wait two or three hours, you are going to keep getting those pinks, reds, and blacks with steeper rises and drops.

StephG likes this.
  3. Zoey & Carol

Zoey & Carol Member

Thanks for your response! Actually I do wait 30 minutes without feeding and then test again (although she complains mightily!) It probably doesn't look like it because I just put it in the next box. I probably should've written +30, but it wouldn't fit! The number of units actually goes in the same box as the test. When I tested 3 times on 2/10, they were 30 minutes apart, and I gave her the shot right after the third test (which was actually +1). Confusing, I know! I really don't like to shoot below 200 because on most days I'm not home during the day to check on her.

I'll drop back to 1.6 for a few days and post the results.

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Ooooooooh! That makes sense now! There are a few ways you can do it - it's just a matter of deciding what you prefer. One is to add the info in the box, and then manually change the color. You can see some examples of that in this spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tiCK0kkmhytN_C33rP_1qlbV4/edit#gid=2049930208

Or you can click on the box, right click, and then choose "insert note" and type in as much information as you need. Then you can put whatever was your deciding number into the AMPS/PMPS box. So for example, if you tested and got a 93, and then a 175, and then a 239, you would put 239 in the box, and put the 93 and 175 in the notes.

You can see examples of using inserted notes in my spreadsheet. There are only a few since the new year, but my 2017 tab has a lot. You can tell there is a note by the little black triangle in the upper right corner of a box. if you hover over the box, the note will appear.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Cixxg9VhAXYuqxikILVOC8ybi4/edit#gid=370834730

There are a few other ways folks manage it too, if you look around at other spreadsheets.

And yes, they do complain mightily when we have to stall. I usually have to leave the house and go for a walk because I seriously can't handle it. He makes me feel like I'm inflicting the worst kind of suffering upon him, and he will likely die of starvation any second. If I leave, he curls up on the bed and goes to sleep like it's no big deal at all!

Rachel, G & I and StephG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.