? advice re sudden (lower) food intake

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michele & Theo, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele & Theo

Michele & Theo Member

Hi. Theo has suddenly reduced his food intake and I'm not sure if I should be worried or if it maybe a natural change due to his glucose levels. Since his diagnosis he has lost quite a bit of weight down from 15 lbs to ~11 lbs and I really don't want any further loss due to this new food intake levels.

He has always been ravenous for his breakfast and dinner usually eating a whole can of Purina DM or two smaller cans of Fancy Feast Fish & Shrimp (shredded variety). These are the only foods he will eat (I have Purina DM kibble which he would love, but avoid giving him any at all due to carbs). I also give him canned tuna on occasion. Yesterday he ate barely half of what he normally eats. He was also quite restless in the morning with a lot of howling. He settled down in the afternoon/evening, but again did not eat his normal evening meal.

I did two mid-day BG readings yesterday (see his chart) and they were both in the normal range yet at PMPS (+4 hrs since last mid-day BG test), his BG had jumped from 6.2 (112) to 21.9 (394) and he got his 3.25IU dose. You'll see his BG levels are erratic... but the avg levels seem to be moving generally lower, so there has been some adjustment in dosages (per discussion with my Vet).

This morning his AMPS was 4.4 (79) and at +1hr it had only risen to 10 (180) even after eating (not his regular gusto for food), hence I did not give him any insulin. He ate only about 1/3 of the can of DM and walks over for an occasional nibble; I gave him some tuna and he only nibbled at that as well. His demeanor is quiet today but he responds when I talk to him (he's been watching the birds at the feeder most of the morning) and is not as vocal as yesterday.

So. I'm at a loss re food intake... if and when I should be worried!
    Thoughts???? Thanks in advance

Michele

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Michele, I am not an experienced member, but just looking at Theo's SS it looks like his BG levels are better. The absence of the ravenous appetite may just be one of the results of this. Most newly diagnosed or unregulated kitties appetites are huge because they just can't utilize the food they are eating well, and they compensate with more food.
    Perhaps keep track of how much he is eating, say, so many ounces, parts of what size of can, or tablespoons. You might offer smaller meals that you have measured out to help keep track of that.

I used to mark on the cans how many calories in each, to help me make sure that Idjit was getting the amount he needed. He was on Fancy Feast and Friskies pate low carb food. I know you don't want him to lose any more weight, so tracking the calorie intake daily might help ease your mind.

Of course if he doesn't eat or drink, is lethargic, or is getting dehydrated, that is a red flag and needs immediate attention.

He might be quiet because he's feeling better, and it sounds as if he's engaged with you and the world at large (watching birds), and nibbling along.

Keep observing, noting eating and drinking, plus demeanor. Keep us updated please, so that if needed, someone can tag a more experienced member for input.

3. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

Hi Michele My kitty stopped eating as much and I could tell he wasn't feeling well. Tested for ketones in urine and it was very high. May want to test for that. If you don't have the ketones test strips I recommend Dr Hatty's from amazon as it only tests the ketones. Sorry Theo isn't feeling well. It hurts our hearts when they are ill.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Excellent idea Marianne! Thank you! I think Ketostix are available at any pharmacy and are less than $15. The bottle we had was only $12 from Walgreens a year ago. Michele, that way you wouldn't have to wait for delivery from Amazon, you could test today.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Lou and Marianne gave you some good ideas, I’ll just add to also keep an eye on his pooping. Note if it’s dry, loose, normal output, etc. I also wouldn’t hesitate to offer a few of the DM kibble pieces to see if it stimulates his appy.

Idjit's mom likes this.
  6. Michele & Theo

Michele & Theo Member

Thanks for all the good advice...

His food intake seems to change day to day.. yesterday he ate his normal amount, but today he does not seem as hungry. However he is much more engaged and playful than he had been a couple of weeks ago (his 'bird and squirrel TV" has been a 'must watch' the last few days), so the lower food intake must be related to his BG. Given his low BG levels at times and his lack of intense eating (he has gone back to being a nibbler), it sure makes it difficult in giving him the right dose especially when is AMPS and PMPS levels are low...on a couple of occasions his BG has not been high enough to dose him...even at +1hr after eating. Tonight was one of those nights... low at PMPS, but just high enough to shoot at +1hr and some food... now I need him to eat more so I won't worry about a crash.

I'm not sure what his daily calorie intake should be so will be in touch with my vet on Monday to discuss. With his lower BG levels, I am even noticing an improvement in his neuropathy. He is still walking on his hocks, but I see him lifting the back of the foot as he moves forward. He even jumped up onto my chair for pets this afternoon, something he has not done in many, many weeks. ho

I have never checked his ketones (this was done at the vet on his followups). I will check for the test strips, but we don't have Walgreens here in Canada, so will check out Costco and Walmart. I have found Costco cheapest for the glucose test strips.

thanks again!
    Michele

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.