Advice request

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Blues Brothers, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues Brothers

Blues Brothers Member

Hello,

Just looking for some advice since Jake's insulin was increased. I didn't give his AM shot this morning since he was low and his BG didn't rise. Am I doing this right?

Attached Files:

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's OK that you skipped... In the future you could try a reduced dose.... Maybe 1 unit when it's around 200.

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

207 is high enough to shoot, although since you haven't seen a PS that low, I can understand being nervous about it. When you get a number like that, if your schedule will allow it, the best thing to do is to stall without feeding for about 20-30 minutes, and then to retest. If the number is rising, then it's okay to shoot. Prozinc (for most cats) doesn't kick in until about +2, so if the number is rising, then by the time it kicks in, Jake should be up in more normal numbers. If you stall and he's still not high enough, then you can stall again (if your schedule allows) for a total of up to an hour. At that point (or if your schedule doesn't give you time to stall (you can either shoot, give a reduced dose, or skip.

Whenever possible, you don't want to skip, so if over 200, give something even if it's reduced. The current dose is giving you some nice nadir numbers. That means that hopefully, those pre-shot numbers will start to come down. And that means that you're going to be seeing lower PS numbers more often. So ask whatever questions you have about all of this, because you're likely/hopefully/fingers-crossed going to be facing this situation more often. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.