Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

My cat was in remission and due to unforseen circumstance have relocated provinces and with that am very low on funds and suddenly he's not eating and losing weight fast and has bloody stool I am very worried and cannot find testing supplies have human meter and few test strips left but staying at 5.7 worried meter broke. I need some advice or resources to help us. Thanks in advance. He needs to see a vet but cannot afford it have applications in for a few resources but if anyone has more advice or can donate testing supplies let me know

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow I cant help with advice but HANG ON someone here can.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Can you tell us which province you are now in and what type of meter you are using? If it’s been a while since you opened the package of strips, they may no longer be good.

How long since Jelly Belly last ate? Can you assist feed him?

4. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I was testing him everyday but I think that maybe the meter broken and am now almost out of strips. I am in Edmonton Alberta I still was testing weekly while on remission but like i said suddenly he's dropping weight and not eating. Meter is contour next

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you Wendy! Whew :bighug:

6. Wendy&Neko

How long ago is “suddenly”? How long since he last ate?

7. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

The last 3 days

8. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

He ate some tuna in water today as desperate measure and he's drinking as always

9. Wendy&Neko

10. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If possible, mix some pate food with water and syringe feed him. The bloody stool is concerning also. Since funds are tight, check if there are any low cost vet clinic in your area. The humane society or animal control may either have on or can give the name of one in your area.

RochellenJelly likes this.
  11. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

12. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I have tried all that nothing panned out yet and a few applications in for funding and asking for donations as well

13. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

He ate today and sugars are 5.1 so seems to be ok

14. Wendy&Neko

My local SPCA has an animal hospital where they can help people with low income. But that's in B.C.

How much did he eat? You got a different number on the meter, so looks like the test strips are working. Have you ever tried eBay or craigslist for strips?

15. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

He ate about 1/4 can tuna and he's really affectionate and he's mobile and yes meter works tested on me too lol. So now it's why he is losing weight and bloody stools and a way to finance supplies and a vet visit till I am on my feet. I am new to Alberta and have reached out to all available resources just waiting and praying. I have looked in Facebook market place and kijiji for supplies no luck yet

16. Wendy&Neko

17. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

If you are fostering Jelly Belly can the fostering organization help you out with either funds or supplies?

18. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi There. I am sorry JB isn't feeling well.

There is an organization http://www.tailsofhelp.com/ that maybe able to help. I am not sure on all the qualifying factors but worth looking into. It is done through the clinic themselves I believe. I know my clinic does it and has done lots of fundraising for this organization. Where abouts in Edmonton are you located? I can recommend my vet as she had a diabetic cat and was astounded by Jones FD status and yes, she knows all about FDMB if you are looking for a vet. PM if you are interested. She is located on the South side.

EHS will not help unless the animal is surrendered. Which is the last option.

ETA: My vet clinic also has two different places that you can apply for a loan per se...to make the treatment cost more manageable and paid out over time. If that is an option.

Tagging @majandra in case of she knows of anything else here. She is located outside the city but you never know!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  19. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

My only vet experience is for my small town, and I've never looked into financial aide. Wish I could help more!

20. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.