Advise on Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ash&Tigger, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ash&Tigger

Ash&Tigger New Member

Hi, my name is Ashley and I've adopted two diabetic cats. Tigger is 14 and has been with us for 2 years and is on Novolin Nph as for my other diabetic Stewie is on Lantus. In the last yr that we have had him he has gone into remission but it has been over 6 months now and he doesn't seem to be getting better. Both diabetics are tested regularly and are eating a low carb diet but Stewie continues to pee excessivelyand the urine smells different to Tigger's. I know alot about the Novolin but am hesitant to up his dose with the Lantus. Any advise would help!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

And have you been to the vet to rule out other causes of excessive urination, such as renal disease, infection, and hyperthyroidism?

Are you home testing the blood glucose?

Have you used KetoDiaStix to test the urine for ketones and glucose? Ketones smell sweetish and 2 of 3 kinds may be detected by the nose.

3. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB!

We have a couple of different forums that would interest you .. One is our "Health" forum -- for all questions, and the other is an insulin-specific forum, just for Lantus and Levemir. Look around and see what you can find, and keep posting!

4. Ash&Tigger

Ash&Tigger New Member

Yes he has been to the vet recently and he does not have any of the above. I do home test but have not used the ketodiastixs but will certainly get some tomorrow am. I have smelt the sweetish smell with other diabetics that we have had but this smell is hard to describe. His bg has been high lately he is currently on 1.5 units morning and night.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Does it smell like urine or something else? A very dilute odor may happen with any excessive urination.

6. Ash&Tigger

Ash&Tigger New Member

It does smell like urine. However, he does not always have this smell but when he does it isn't sweet smelling it is very potent and the smell will remain in the room until you clean the cat box out and air the room out. His bg tonight was 16. I've been told by our vet to add a few values to his reading as it be more accurate since I'm using a human meter. I just want to get him better and hopefully back into remission but I've been struggling with his numbers and to try and regulate him.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Look under the tail. Do you see a black dot on each side of the anus? His anal glands could be full and need expressing; they have a very potent odor.

8. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Whichever meter you are using, you should give us the exact reading, not adding or subtracting anything from it. We just need to know that you are using a human meter and we know the normal value ranges for that versus a cat specific meter. See BJM's signature, post above and click on the link for Glucometer Notes for more information.

If you would add some information to your signature, like the meter you use, that would be very helpful.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as
    your name,
    cat's name,
    date of Dx (diagnosis)
    insulin
    meter
    any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.
    Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Always click the Save Changes button at the bottom when you have changed anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.