Aerokat alternative?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michelle and Doodle, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

Doodle was diagnosed with a lower respiratory disease on Thursday and I was given a prescription for an inhaler and an Aerokat.
    It looks like I will have to order the Aerokat online since no one locally carries them (that I have found)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might use the albuterol in an emergency until the Aerokat arrives?
    And does anyone know a website that might ship the Aerokat overnight. ?
    (I'm assuming if I order one today with regular ground shipping it wouldn't even be shipped till monday and then it would be several days till we recieved it -- obviously that is worrisome.

Any tips??

2. Michelle and Doodle

okay it looks like vetrx has overnight shipping for an additional $25 -- which I will do.
    --- I didn't go far enough with the sales process to see that option before posting my question - sorry.

But I do still need suggestions on how I might give him the inhaler without the aerokat until it arrives.

Any help would really be appreciated.

3. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle-

You can use a toilet paper roll. Hold it on his muzzle for 15 seconds. Merlin has asthma too. Sorry to hear about this, but it's much easier to deal with than diabetes. After 2 diabetic cats asthma is a vacation! Good luck. Let me know if you need any help. There are a few others here with asthmatics too.

4. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle,

Like Tracy suggested - a toilet paper tube is a good option. I practiced with one on Zoe until her aerokat arrived....she didn't like the toilet paper tube, but adapted to the aerokat easily.

Good luck with Doodle....if you have ANY questions....please don't hesitate to ask!

5. Michelle and Doodle

Thank you!! Thank you!!!! The toilet paper roll is brilliant!!
    I'll be glad when I'm feeling more confident - right now I'm in a bit of a mini panic.
    (and I'm not sure if he has asthma, bronchitis or emphysema - though I don't think it matters in this regard)

Do you try to put the toilet paper roll over his nose and mouth and then puff the inhaler at the other end?
    Is that what you mean?

6. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yup, that's what we mean. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. Put it over nose and mouth. You can look at the video on Fritzthebarve.com to see how they do it with an aerokat. If you put the cat on your lap with the back of his head against your chest he won't be able to back up which will help. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

7. Michelle and Doodle

Mmmmmwha!! Thank you!!!
    I feel better :)

8. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

MIchelle did the albuterol puff help? (Despite the unconventional delivery method)

9. Michelle and Doodle

I'm thinking maybe I didn't get it on his face well enough. I gave him 2 puffs but he's still sounds wheezy.
    He must be feeling okay though - he was sleeping in a comfortable position and eating pretty well.
    but wait...OMG! he's playing! He's chasing his easter eggs and playing!
    :D :D :D He hasn't been able to do that in quite a while!

10. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

11. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

when using the unconventional method (tp roll) you may want to do two puffs instead of one. This will help ensure most of what's needed gets breathed in.

Remember to shake the inhaler between puffs. this will set it up properly for next puff.

12. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Maverick is asthmatic also. The aerokat is amazing. Maverick purrs for it - I count the purrs lol.

Are you going to be using flovent also? I think you have to prime the puffers too - two puffs in in the air. Not sure why this is needed though. I do it because I was told to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.