Affordable Care Options

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by britter440, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. britter440

britter440 New Member

Pounce was diagnosed last week with Diabetes. Our vet (which I'm not very happy with right now) put her on 1.8 units of Lantus. I quickly figured out that 1.8 was about double what she should have started at. She also gave me lots of other bits of info that appear to be correct when using fast acting insulin, but don't necessarily hold true for Lantus.

The one that really got me boiling was that she told me that I'd be able to use the insulin for 4 to 5 months since the dose was so small it would take forever to run out. When I got to the pharmacy, they told me that it was intended to be trashed every 30 days, but that they knew some pet owners that stretched it out to 45 or so. I attempted to get the vet to amend the prescription to something more affordable, but she wouldn't do it.

I asked her specifically about Novolin N, which is only $24 per bottle at walmart. She said it wasn't recommended for cats. The first thing I pulled up on Novolin N on the internet was CATSANDDIABETES.COM and a paragraph where they assert that it's a viable option for treating your cat. Is this a viable option? Are there other affordable options that are better?

I could probably handle up to $50 a month without too much difficulty. It'd be a strain at times, but most months wouldn't be an issue.

Also, Pounce is a thryroid kitty.

2. As long as you keep the Lantus refrigerated, it can last longer than 45 days. I didn't use it but I think twice that long is possible. Others will know for sure.
    For cats, it is a much better option than Novolin. Your vet is right on that.

What confuses me is the starting dose of 1.8u. I'm guessing they came up with that based on weight, but it must be nearly impossible to accurately measure in a syringe. How much does Pounce weigh?

Edit to add - OK, I see your Sig says 8.6 lbs. Based on weight, she probably should have gone with 1.0 units.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

N insulin is not desirable since it typically last 8-10 hours but it is better than not using any insulin.
    A lot of caretakers here use the Lantus disposable pens. Each pen contain 3 ml (compared to 10 ml for the vial). Although per l the pens are more expensive, most users can use up an entire pen before the Lantus loses its effectiveness. thus, the pens are really cheaper.
    Also, you may be able to use this coupon for your first pens
    http://www.lantus.com/save_on_lantus/index/considering

4. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

My vial lasted me at least 5 months. I switched over to the pens, thinking my vial had lost its potency, but Mikey really was needing a dose increase instead, so the vial might have lasted me even longer. :lol: With the pens, every single one of them (5 so far) have lasted me till the last drop.

You want to always keep Lantus refrigerated and don't shake or roll the vial/pens and it should last you quite a while.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

BCP PZI insulin is relatively inexpensive.
    The vet faxes in an Rx, you pay, and they ship it to you. Each shot lasts approximately 12 hours.

Your vet can ask for a sample vial to see how it works for your cat.

If you were to use Novolin, you might need to test and shoot every 6-8 hours to get good glucose control, as the insulin usually wears off in 6-8 hours. Shooting less often means not having good glucose control once it wears off, risking long term damage to the internal organs and other complications of diabetes such as ketoacidosis, which can be fatal.

6. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

Humilin is not the best idea. If you look at my SS it was really hard to get regular with Scooter.

I know we are not normal but at this point we have been on Levemir for two months and now we are not on insulin.

7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Many cats are able to achieve remission and not need insulin after a while. They can be diet controlled if the pancreas is allowed to heal with some outside support for a few weeks to a few months of insulin.The remission rates vary widely, from <30% for Humulin to > 85% for Lantus.

The Merck Veterinary Manual and other studies do not recommend NPH insulins (Novolin N, Humulin N) for use in diabetic cats, since there are many better insulins for cats.

This post from DCIN (Diabetic Cats in Need), talks about how to get Lantus less expensively.

Home testing the BG (blood glucose) levels can also save you a lot of money as opposed to having the BG curves done at your vet. A few dollars at home vs $100-200 at your vet.

Less expensive low carb canned food choices are Friskies pates style in the 13 ounce cans, Fancy Feast classic pates, Wellness Grain-free canned food. Let's you save money versus those expensive prescription foods the vets like to prescribe and many cats here do so much better on lower carb foods.

Hope those affordable care options help you.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Did your vet give you U100 syringes? I've been measuring insulin for a while and I would have an exceptionally difficult time measuring 1.8u.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.