Affordable metre and strips for a Canadian shelter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karrie and Maverick, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

What is the most affordable metre and strips available in Canada? Where do you buy them and what price? When Maverick was diagnosed I drove to the US to get supplies (relion) because it was so much cheaper. This shelter can't do that and using a US meter would cause too much confusion. What size blood drop does it need?

For those in the USA - Canadian pricing is much different and some metres aren't available up here.

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

There is not much diff in prices at Canadian stores, but what about purchasing supplies online?
    I just go to Shopper's DrugMart and accumulate points which can eventually be applied to future purchases.

3. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

You can usually get a metre for free when you buy 100 strips. I just got a metre at London Drugs that I sent with strips to the newbie kit warehouse. I use the OneTouch Ultra and find that the least expensive strips are at Costco Pharm - by about $10 over Pharmasave or London Drugs.

4. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll call around to places near the shelter and find the cheapest. I used the accucheck aviva nano but the strips I recall were more expensive than the one-touches.

5. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

Gayle's suggestion is worthwhile looking into as well. If the shelter buys a lot of things at a pharmacy it might be cost effective to consolidate purchases at Shoppers Drug Mart with their loyalty program and collect the points.

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Yes, I think the OneTouch are around 83.99/100 and I use Bayer contour which are 84.99/100. About every 2-3months, I have enough points to get my 5-pack of Levemir free.
    If you could get a couple shelters to go together in purchases, you could realize some nice savings.
    For sure the Relion are by far cheaper, but as they are not available in Canada, they are not an option for many.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.