after months of red and black numbers...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Galaxy (GA), Aug 4, 2019.

1. Galaxy (GA)

Galaxy (GA) Member

... today, for the first time in Galaxy's diabetes history, WE HIT YELLOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I might be jinxing it, but I had to come and share. seriously, I feel like it's my birthday. Also, I've had my hopes up so many times, even with pink numbers (yes, happy to see pink in all the reds and blacks, as you can see in the SS), only to have them crushed soon after, so I am still walking on broken glass, but this must be some result, yes?

Well, will see what happens. Chances are, he'll get used to this dose as well and start resisting again. Also, he's literally on his last legs bless him, neuropathy is real bad, can barely walk now from waterbowl to feeding bowl (they are in separate rooms, because he will NOT drink from the waterbowl that's next to his feeding bowl) and toilet, but then he perks up again, asking to go outside, still has that happy face every now and then, so... we're just taking it one day at a time.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Reason for edit: wrong word
    JeffJ and Peacock like this.
  2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Congrats on the yellow. Keep increasing that dose until you can get some blues.

The key to neuropathy (avoidance and healing) is twofold:
    - BG regulation -> blue or green nadirs (80-150)
    - supplemental B12 thru Zobaline (search zobaline in main forum)

Leo had real bad neuropathy during his high numbers (18 units/dose). Real bad - we were considering the "decision". We resolved it to 99% health thru the 2 treatments above. He lived another 3 years after neuropathy resolution, and his passing was from non-diabetes issues.

I really recommend more testing - especially preshots. Regular testing will show if the Prozinc is effectively getting him lower.
    @JanetNJ also has good prozinc experience. And make sure to read the stickies at the top. I helped rewrite the prozinc one a few years ago.

3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

In an unregulated cat (high blood glucose), the B12 that should be naturally absorbed is instead excreted with the excess glucose in the urine. As a result, the cat gets B12 deficiency. The B12 deficiency leads to degeneration of the nerves especially in the hind legs.
    http://www.felinecrf.org/vitamin_b.htm#methylcobalamin

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

awesome! it took almost three months for me to see a yellow... so I kind of know how you feel... I was so excited to see that yellow too! esp. now that the numbers are coming down, it's super important to always get a preshot number, and at least one mid cycle number. Once the breakthrough dose is found, the dosage needs often drop pretty quickly.

Galaxy (GA) and JeffJ like this.
  5. Galaxy (GA)

Galaxy (GA) Member

thank you guys for all the responses. I know about neuropathy and been giving cobalamin for months but thanks for the info. I am sorry for your loss @JeffJ , the eulogy and the spreadhseet both made me cry my eyes out. I was going to ask you how long it took for you to find the right dose, but then I thought I can figure out from your SS. It looks like it wasn't so much the diabetes and high sugar, but rather the cancer that took him, right?

6. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hi Edy

Galaxy
    Congrats on the first blue nadir. That is good progress. I hope the new dose continues to deliver some nice results like that. I'm glad to hear that Galaxy is getting cobalamine, as that is key to neuropathy recovery (with bg regulation).:bighug:

Dialing in the correct dose takes patience. You are doing a good job on slowly getting there. Fast changes can backfire. Leo is not a good case study. He had Acromegaly, which is a pituitary tumor. Acro typically pulses, causing bouncy BG - even with consistent doses. You are fortunate to have @JanetNJ on this thread since she is experienced with high dosers too. And her kitteh C.C. has acro.

Usually when you get above 6 or 7 units we recommend you get your cat tested for IAA and Acromegaly. It is a blood test that is sent to a lab. They do it in the UK too. We have had a couple UK Acro cats on the Acro subforum in the last year. In summary, Acro is caused by pituitary growth hormone interfering with insulin at the cell level. "Normal" diabetes is caused by insulin deficiency from the pancreas. It is estimated that as many as 25% of all diabetic cats have some Acro origination.

I really recommend more BG testing. Especially when Galaxy starts responding to insulin. We don't want to see him get too low. Preshot testing is key to keeping Galaxy safe. I'm not kidding. If cost is an issue, then the human testers like Freestyle are cheaper because the test strips are cheaper.

Leo
    He was my world. He was the best cat ever. Some days we still can't believe he is gone. :(

Leo's decline was from lymphoma and Acromegaly complications. The acro caused throat and salivary gland growths. In his last 8 months he had significant lack of ability to chew properly and swallow. Food would get caught in his salivary growths and throat growths. There was no viable operation for it. His diabetes was under control. Leo remained affectionate and bonded with me even closer in his last months. My sweet boy.

Thank you for the condolences, and I will convey them to Theresa and Little Dude also.
    picture from a year ago

Little Dude and Leo - best buds 08-12-2018c.jpg

JanetNJ and Galaxy (GA) like this.