After the initial shock and the first month

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by seagullcanfly, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seagullcanfly

seagullcanfly New Member

Thank you again for everyone that has helped me here. I have a few questions as I go into the future treating my cat.

I'm currently looking for a new vet. I've looked at the interview questions, but a few others came to mind.
    1.) I'm currently using ProZinc. Should I be asking the vet if they prefer that other one, Lantus?, that it seems people prefer here? Are there any issues with switching insulin?
    2.) If I stay with ProZinc, and I want to use the conversion chart to use u-100 syringes instead of u-40, do I need to have a prescription to order these syringes from somewhere like ADW? I've been tracking her glucose levels for a few days, and have my no shot level at under 200, but if I need to decrease dosage I want to have more increments available.
    3.) Are these good syringes to switch over to to get more incremental doses?
    4.) If you try to do a curve?, does that consist of measuring her before her meal, and then every two hours after that before her next meal? Or do I measure her premeal, give her an insulin shot if she needs one, and then measure every two hours until her next meal? Or something else?
    5.) How do you guys handle other engagements, like not being able to come home until very late one night. Or going on short vacations? I have parents that have given insulin shots before to a dog, but I don't want to burden them more than necessary. I notice many vets do boarding, but I'm thinking a diabetic cat would be more expensive.

Thanks!

2. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Hi there! You've got some good questions that I'll try to help answer. :D

1. I say yes to the Lantus simply because that's what I use. ;-)
    2. You need a prescription for syringes depending on state. Where I live, I can only purchase up to 30 syringes at a time without a prescription. Some states, you don't need a prescription at all.
    3. No, you want the 3/10cc, not the 1cc.
    4. I do a "weekly" curve where I play fill-in-the-blank across the week instead of doing it all in one day. That way, any daily variance is reflected and I don't have to worry about a curve happening on a day he might be bouncing or doing something weird.
    5a. I basically train every person who comes to my house around shot time on how to test and shoot Michelangelo. That way, if I'm going to be gone one evening, I can call upon one of my friends, relatives, or neighbors to stop by and test and shoot Michelangelo if necessary. They're usually more than willing if I promise them dinner. :lol: Sometimes, though, he ends up with a late or missed shot. Every once in a while, it's not a problem, but I try to do it as rarely as possible.
    5b. For vacations, I have a couple of friends always in need of spare cash that I can recruit. If you trust strangers to do it, you can also check youth groups, churches, schools, etc.... Other than that, you can offer to "train up" a pet sitter or a vet tech on how to test and shoot a diabetic cat for a "discounted" rate (aka no additional charges for caring for the diabetic).

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

1. Lantus has a higher remission rate than the Prozinc seems to have. Cats can go into remission on Prozinc, but we see many more cats go diet controlled remission with the Lantus. Dose of any prior insulin is taken into consideration when switching insulins. Prozinc does not last more than 12-14 hours usually, so there is no need to wait for it's effects to wear off before starting up with Lantus. Lantus is the first insulin of choice for cats per the Merck Veterinary Manual.

2. I believe NY is one of the states that does not require a prescription for insulin syringes,for 10 or fewer.
    So you need a written prescription, to buy more than 10 syringes at a time.

3. You want not just 3/10 cc syringes, but the ones with 1/2 unit markings on the syringe barrel.

4. A curve is measuring every 2 hours, starting with the pre-shot test, and going until the next pre-shot test. Some people do a mini-curve, testing every 3 hours. Some people never do a full curve, simply random tests throughout the week to get more test numbers to fill in the SS (spreadsheet).

5. Train your cat to come for a test with those low carb, high protein treats. Train your visitors to give treats to the cats, so your cat does not run and hide from strangers or have fear agression for people not living in your home.

4. Alexis & Nikki (GA)

Alexis & Nikki (GA) Member

With regards to vacations, I found that my normal petsitters had cared for diabetic cats before and were ok with giving shots. Unfortunately, they weren't able to hometest (Nikki can be difficult) so I did cut her dose while I was away to keep her safe. I also cut my vacations down to 3-4 days to minimize any issues. My sitters WERE willing to learn how to test, they just couldn't get Nikki to co-operate! :roll: I think that most petsitters are happy to add that skill to their toolbox if you ask. A tip always helps too! :D

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.