Afternoon Diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by colleen & smoke, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colleen & smoke

colleen & smoke Member

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation. Smoke's numbers are only high for about 3 hours in the afternoon. I am pasting an expert from my previous thread below. Feel free to browse the whole conversation to get more information.

My biggest goal for Smoke right now is weight gain. He is much, much, much too skinny right now and nothing seems to help him gain weight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes, we haven't used and dry DM since the fall. He responds much better to the wet.

You're exactly right with the insulin. It was just too scary. So, in regards to a gentler insulin and your next topic: the mid-day spikes.

He eats in the afternoon, but same stuff. Plus, if he's tested, it's always at least 1-2 hours after he's eaten. We are very diligent about him getting into any "illicit" food items, so it's not that.

The afternoon numbers have been the problem since day one. Even since his initial diagnosis, it was always that 3 hour spike from around 12 PM-3PM that made our vet hesitant about giving insulin in the first place. I have done my own 12 hour curve at home two times now and it's always the same thing. When Smoke spent the day at the vet and they did their own curve---same thing! It's been the biggest mystery of all. So, the general consensus is that if he has good numbers all day except those few hours, it is incredibly hard to get a grip on.

Does this make sense? Let me know if you need anymore info

2. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

You can always try a food test. Feed him two hours before that 12 PM spike and see if he still spikes. If his numbers are lower during that time-frame, then you know his pancreas is working and just needs to be triggered to bring the numbers down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.