Again tonight

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by terri1962, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Its happening tonight again, Same as Sunday night I gave Lilly her shot .50 she has been sleeping all day and got up finally and started milling around. Now she won`t eat again she was at 188 tonight. WTH is going on? Had the test done for pancreatitis they said she is right at 3.6 and 3.5 say she does not have it. But why is this happening again? Just gave her pill for nausea she threw a fit. She has not threw up yet.
    I even got out the Ocean whitefish which she will almost always eat. Now she so upset from me giving her the pill she probably won`t eat at all.
    I am so upset. I am probably going to have to have her put down, I am out of money and frustrated. I can not afford to keep taking her back to the vet on and on.

Terri

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry you and lily are having a tough night. You might put pancreatitis in your subject line to see if people have some ideas for you. Even if she doesn't have the diagnosis, others might be able to give you ideas for nausea and pain. I have never dealt with it, but others have.

What are you most worried about? Her not eating or feeling bad? The bg level is okay for awhile, right? Can you take some time out, go in another room and lie down and just breathe deeply?

3. Cindy and Patches

Cindy and Patches Member

I know this can be frustrating. Test, eat, shoot seems impossible at times. If it is just one meal and the numbers are under 200... I would be tempted to just let Lilly be. Sometimes cats are just cats and are finicky. But if it is several meals and the numbers are high... I do think it is prudent to go to the vet. Keep your chin up. I had a diabetic once that would be finicky and want a different flavor of food instead of the one he was given. You did the right thing by giving the pepsid. I would take a break and let both of you take a rest. Sending hugs and lots of support.

4. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

Terri,

I'm so sorry to see you and Lilly going through this. It is so distressing and frustrating to do all you can think of and seemingly get no results. It feels so helpless! Has Lilly calmed down from the pilling yet? Is she normally a cuddle kitty? Is there anyway you can just relax and give each other comfort?

5. terri1962

I gave her Metrozonaile(not spelled right) and put dowm a can of Purina Recovery that the vet sent home with me and she did eat a bit of that. Now she is throwing a fit to get out of the room I have her in.
    If I let her out of the room I will not be able to tell if she has eaten because the other cats will eat her food.

Terri

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Will she settle if you go in with her? Can you stick the other cats somewhere else for awhile?

Eating and not vomiting is good. :mrgreen:

7. Cindy and Patches

Cindy and Patches Member

If she has ate a bit and you haven't given the shot... I would let her go out. Let her be a cat for a while. If you have given a shot and are worried that she hasn't ate enough... I would keep her in the room for a while longer or just moniter her. I am sorry you both are so frustrated. Hugs.

8. terri1962

Linda

No Lilly is not a cuddly kitty she does not like to be handled and thinks she is be abused when you pill her, giver her shots, etc. My other cats are more outgoing and are more easily handled.
    I can not pill her she has a fit, but oddly enough can test her( not a lot) and give her shots. This is why its so stressful. She does not like treats and barely eats. You can not ply her with treats because she won`t eat them.
    She is not an over weight cat and never has been and does just not eat a lot. I do believe her diabetes was steroid induced. She was on Depo Medrol for allergies off and on for years.

Terri

9. terri1962

She did eat a bit of the Recovery but I have four cats and If I let her out they will eat it, that right now is the only thing she has ate and I only have one can of it.
    Plus I need to see if she starts throwing up , with 4 cats you never know who does it unless you see them do it.
    So I want her in ther for now so I can monitor her.

10. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

This might be why she is really pissed at you and not really wanting to eat. It tastes nasty to them. My Smokey would run through the house drooling madder than a wet hen at me and hide under the bed or in a fort and just glare at me after I gave it too her.

Can you let her out of the room and put the other cats in there? Give her a little more freedom and less stress. Toss the other cats some treats to see if they will settle in out of the way for a bit.

Deep breaths. Her BG is not terribly high. You can shoot a partial dose if she's eaten some to keep her on track, but not give her too much. Or skip and just let her be free of the doctoring for a bit.

11. Mystery

Mystery Member

This!!

Cats. Hate. Metronidizole. My Beauregard would engage in armed rebellion every time he had to have one of those pills. I swear, if he even smelled it, the hissing would begin and claws would come out. Afterward, he'd hide and be in a completely tizzy for hours, not eating a thing or drinking. He'd just hide, and wouldn't let me anywhere near him for at least a day. And it seems logical that there would be a BG increase if Lilly is stressed from the getting that nasty stuff (but others would certainly know more about that than I do - it's all still so new to me).

How is she doing this morning?

12. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

I hope this a.m. finds Lily calm and loving her momma!
    I know how you feel about the meds..grrrrrrr
    My Civvie Ittle Sista has got something going on with her left hand! I dont know what happened but it smelled terrible and the bottom was swollen... er visit sunday 250.00. regular vet monday...45.00....regular vet friday.....35.00... new med.... 25.00 - THAT SHE WONT TAKE! Just called them this am to see if we can get this in pill form and be able to give it to her....Meanwhile, not only is something going on on the bottom that they cannot figure out (they are guessing), but now she has lumps on the top of the foot and a few up the leg?????
    They think she has an infection going on from perhaps Bean biting her on the foot???? 2 antibiotics 2 times a day!
    One is Clavamox (sp) and the other new one that she foams and throws up on Sulf-trim??
    At least we got to take of the cast/bandage for now...I am to watch her and make sure that no more lumps show up? And of course I am on pins and needles due to it being the weekend.
    Hang in there girl, and I hope Lilly feels better today. You know she loves ya no matter what but it sure is difficult to do things to them that they dont like especially when they are not feeling good.

13. terri1962

ohbell
    my goodness I have never heard of such a thing. An infection moving up the leg like that. Lilly is back at the vet today. I had a long talk with the vet. She said Lilly does have mild pancreatitis and they are doing what they can when I take her in, which they do, they can pill her, I can not she has a fit. They give her the pills get her feeling alright and send her home then I can`t pill her. If this continues I will have to have her put to sleep because due to the nature of cat she can not be treated at home for the panceatitis. I can not pill her at all by myself. Oddly enough she does let give shots and test which suprises me.
    So we will see what happens when she comes home on Monday. If she goes back to not eating once she comes home I will have no choice but to have her put to sleep which I dread.

Terri

14. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe this is a good case for using Convenia....a long acting antibiotics shot.

Ask vet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.