Aggression between kitties-Does Feliway spray work?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vhens2211, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vhens2211

Vhens2211 Member

Well.. I was kept up again last night with the fighting between Ozzie and Milo. I'm am getting at my wits end with the two of them.

I have a big cat bed on my bed for them to sleep in, as well as another single sized one it the room. Most of the fighting seems to be centered around the bigger bed. Last night Milo kept attacking Ozzie everytime he tried to get into the bed. I got so mad last night I put their bed on the floor. I want to try the feliway plug in, but I live in an older house, so the plugs are horizontal on the bottom of the wall. Not sure if the plug in can work when it's not vertical. I heard they make a spray, so was thinking maybe I could try spraying it on the bed itself.

When Ozzie was first DX, Milo was pretty aggressive towards him. The vet told me he could sense he was sick. It finally stopped once Ozzie went on insluin. Ozzie is doing great aside from the diahrrea he had the other week. Not sure why Milo is so agressive towards him, I am hoping it's a territorial thing with the bed? Makes me nervous Milo might be sensing something is wrong with Ozzie again?

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Is this bed new? Would it be terrible to put it away for a couple of weeks and see if that stops the aggression?

Spraying the bed is fine but keep up with it, I think you'd need to spray every day, they also make wipes that look like hand wipes, you could wipe down the kitty that is being attacked, might help if there's a stress hormone that kitty is putting out or something that is offending the other kitty.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, it helps. (I have 11 indoor cats right now and deal with conflicts frequently!)

What about using a UPS that would could be turned on its side so the diffuser would be in the right position for use?

They also make breakaway collars with the Feliway in them, if that might work better.

Other tips:
    Keep all claws trimmed, it reduces the damage they can do to each other.
    Exercise each of them separately for a good 15-20 minutes of play, twice a day ... if you can fit it in your schedule!
    Use separate bowls for feeding them, at a distance until the aggression starts calming down.
    Reward good behavior around each other - verbal praise, low carb treats to both.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My Feliway plug-in diffuser rotates so the plug can be either vertical or horizontal. I find that it does help.

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I used the collars so then the calming is going around with the cat.
    It did help both my cats.

6. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

I have 2 comfot zone plug in units. I bought one for downstairs since Cedric developed a phobia of the couch (apparently something bit him under there.probably a spider) and then got one for my room when I rescued the neighborhood stray. I checked when I got home and they do rotate. I bought mine fromDrs Foster & Smith, as it was cheaper than buying at PetSmart. In fact, I'll be needing a refill soon. Note I get migraines and cannot smell them...so they are not responsible for the one I got this week!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.