Aggression from healthy cat to diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KeikosHuman, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeikosHuman

KeikosHuman Member

Hi,
    I have 2 cats, one has diabetes the other does not. My diabetic cat Keiko is larger than Neo and has generally been dominant as he could wrestle the other one with his size, although he is a kind soul and prefers cooperation and cuddling. The last 2 weeks or so, Neo has been aggressive towards Keiko (diabetic cat) in my presence, cornering him, jumping on him and swatting him. Keiko will often lay down and Neo will continue to look aggressive and may keep swatting Keiko. Neo has run after Keiko and Keiko will move to another room. They have wrestled before Keiko's diabetes and it looked pretty even. Keiko has some scabs on his back and I'm concerned he's getting hurt by Neo. When I see it I break it up with water mist. I don't know if that would make it worse.

Has anyone seen this and any advice on what to do? Keiko is the cat I am most bonded to, so I don't like it at all.
    Thanks!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If they still have their claws, trim the ones on the aggressor to reduce the chances of injury.
    Active play, 15-20 minutes twice a day per cat helps reduce stress; cats will attack one that is ill.
    Comfort Zone plug ins, sprays and collars also may reduce stress and aggression.
    Diversion is good; when you see Neo getting ready to pounce, offer a toy or other distraction.
    Finally, if there is a separate room where Keiko can be safe and relax, you may want to separate until you get the diabetes well controlled.

KPassa likes this.
  3. KeikosHuman

KeikosHuman Member

Thanks for the good ideas!

4. Marycatmom

Marycatmom Well-Known Member

You could also try rubbing them both with the same dirty bath towel, so they both smell alike. If a cat smells like vet, the other cat in the family can get pretty annoyed/aggressive. I also put Rescue Remedy, which you can get online or at health food store, in my guys water bowls when they're stressed. I'd check with the more experienced members before you do this with a diabetic cat, though. I don't know if RR affects BG.

5. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

How is Keiko feeling? How are his 5Ps? Maybe Neo is sensing that he might be sick and is attacking him because of that?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Those 5 P's by the way are purring, preening, playing, pooping and peeing. In combination with the appetite, they make up what we call the WCR (Whole Cat Report) and give you and us a good idea of how your cat is doing.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Reason for edit: corrected 5 P's
    KPassa likes this.
  7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Oops! 5th P is "peeing". :)

(My brain gets in a tizz trying to remember them.)

KPassa likes this.
  8. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Rescue Remedy never bothered Maggie's numbers. In fact, our vet recommended it.

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

BJ's suggestion of play as a diversion is a good one. My younger cat wants to pounce/play when Neko just wants to lie down. I keep a laser pointer handy and that quickly diffuses the situation. A couple minutes of play and things calm down. Your other cat may also be seeing that Keiko is getting lots of attention and want his fair share too, so make sure he gets snuggle time.

If you try Rescue Remedy, get the version for Pets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.