Ahhhh! Fleas!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by meowsyko, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

We rent a house in a fairly rural area, and have a couple mice pretty much all the time because we can't fix wherever they're coming in. We trap and release them far away, but my neighbor attracts them with deer feed anyway. It's a never ending battle, but we keep it managed as much as possible.

We have 2 pet rats. I just found a flea on my albino lady :banghead:. Their cage is in the living room, near the kitchen, and I'm blaming the mice.

My cat hasn't shown any signs of fleas, but she is allergic so I'm calling both our vets and getting this treated ASAP.

So, What is the best flea-drop stuff for cats these days? What's best for carpets? Best shampoo?
    No idea how I'll treat the rats... so if anyone has more natural methods that I might be able to use on them please let me know. I'm hoping a good bath, cage clean, and some sort of powder on the carpet will keep them away from the rats.

I hope I'm catching this before it's a real problem. :oops:

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I don't know about the rats. I also live in a rural area and some years the fleas are just unbelievable! The omly thing I have found that works reliably on my cats is Revolution. I swear by it. I tried most of the others and none of them worked like the Revolution does; I was just throwing away my money. You can use diatomaceous earth on your lawn and even on your carpets, just make sure you get the human grade/food grade and not the stuff for swimming pool filters (it's a carcinogen).

Susan and Timmy and meowsyko like this.
  3. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

I think Revoluion is what we used last time, but it's been a few years so I wasn't sure, thanks!
    Huzzah! Revolution can be used on pet rats!

I have heard of diatomaceous earth, it sounds like it's safe to use. Any idea where I could find that stuff in-store? I found some on Amazon but I'd rather get this dealt with over the weekend if I can, and I need to make a trip into the city for food and Revolution now anyway.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I have had great results with advantage 2. Brought in two kittens last year from outside that are infested and then at least two of my other cats got them. I treated all 7 of them, then combed everyone.... And any that had fleas we combed a few times per day. Then vacuumed all floors and couches twice a day for a week. All cat beds and bedding into the wash. No fleas anywhere, alive or dead, that I saw after day two or three.

meowsyko likes this.
  5. Squalliesmom

Advantage never worked for me, sadly. Capstar is good for killing fleas but won't keep them from being reinfested. I just put the Revolution on and don't have to worry about it - I love it!

I know Tractor Supply has it, I think some Walmarts, Lowe's and Home Depots may also carry it. Just make sure it'd food grade!

6. JanetNJ

I've heard the regular advantage doesn't work, but advantage 2 does. Maybe it depends on the flea. The ones we had were big light brown ones. The vet I bring ferals in to to get fixed uses Revolution, so they must think highly of i.

7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you use DE make sure it is the food grade and not the one used for pools. The one used for pools is toxic. Feed & seed stores usually carry it.

meowsyko likes this.
  8. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

I hate vacuuming. Maybe this will give me an excuse to buy the new vacuum I've been wanting... :rolleyes: ours is just so big and annoying. bleh.
    I will vacuum, of course, maaaaybe 1/day in our main areas. But I will not enjoy it lol.
    I feel like Advantage 2 probably is very similar, but I will grab Revolution just so I can put a tiny drop of it on the rats before giving to the cat. Poor little babies are scratching so much!

Somebody on my island just happened to post on Facebook today that they have some for sale! :cat: I guess I'm not the only one with flea issues here. I will triple-check that it's the right kind before I grab it.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. JanetNJ

Haha vacuuming is the one chore I actually like. You come do my dishes and I'll vacuum for you. ;). You should get a roomba. Let the robot vacuum. I use my roomba almost every day to keep up with 7 cats and a 4 year old kid. Lol

Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

We must have been pretty lucky to have nine cats and a dog and never had fleas. We have had to deep clean our carpets and furniture so this is our story. First, don't bother with the $100 steam cleaners, rent a Rug Doctor and go crazy. I know they sell their own shampoo but who knows what's in that witches brew. There must be all kinds of organic cleaners you can use, maybe not meant for carpeting but soap is soap. If you've never used The Doctor it's amazing how black that water turns, disgusting! Remember you have to get the underlay clean as well.
    Second We got tired of buying $99 vacuum cleaners so we finally caved and bought a Nilfisk built-in system. We bought our house new so the piping was already roughed in. It's way better than a Beam. If you go this route get the HEPA filter for the exhaust, maybe $100 but worth it. No matter what anyone says the unit does not have to be installed in the garage. That's only for the noisy ones. The other drawback to an outdoor install is that you're pumping all the air you paid to heat or cool out of the house, a waste of money. Get the cloth bags for long term. If you're getting rid of bugs a paper bag will get tossed out right away so that makes more sense. I'd line the bag with a plastic bag and dump some bleach in there. The fleas may get sucked up but they're still alive in the bag, get rid of it immediately. I know you know this already but you're going to have to move furniture so that "Every nook and cranny" takes on a whole new meaning. What is a cranny anyway? I don't envy you. I've included a link to "Make your own flea traps", hope they work.
    https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=flea traps&*
    Just think what our ancestors went through, blaming The Plague on "vapours" and witches. They refused to believe something so small you could not see it could be alive. I don't think they had garbage pickup every Wednesday either!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

Oh yeah I forgot about the diy flea traps. I did one of those! I think we caught two fleas with it, but still, that's two more gone.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  12. Noah & me (GA)

Just two? How many do you need for a flea circus? One to sell those little donuts and another to guess your weight? I don't understand how they make those roller coasters so small. Maybe the ants do all the labour.

13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

How far? To be safe, take them and release at least 3 - 5 miles from your house.

For the rats, I would suggest (name brand) Lemon Dawn, the yellow one, and give them a bath. Don't scrub the tail too hard, it may feel tough but the skin can easily get damaged. Same rules as most pets, try to avoid the ears and face, the entire head :). You can use a damp cloth to wipe their head and face. Some rats like baths so if she wants to swim for a minute or two, let her enjoy it (the flea won't :p).

Hope this helps :)

Susan and Timmy likes this.
  14. Squalliesmom

Lol, if I had a roomba it would go on strike, so much hair, leaves, diet, etc gets tracked across my floors every day! I laugh at the little light on vacuum cleaners - in my house you can see the dirt just fine, no need for a headlamp to highlight it!:p;)

Djamila, JanetNJ and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  15. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

It is a shame we cannot teach our pets how to vacuum. They are the ones making the mess. :(

Djamila likes this.
  16. JanetNJ

Lol my favorite new floor cleaner is the bissell crosswave I got for Christmas. It's a mop and vacuum in one for hard floors and area rugs.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  17. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

It's making me itch just to read these posts. And I second the idea of teaching the pets to vacuum!

18. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

Just grabbed some Revolution from the vet. I'm not worried about the cat, but trying to get 2 squirmy rats to sit still and not tough the stuff for 5 mins will be a challenge.
    I would LOVE a Roomba, hopefully one day.

Lol, I was looking at steam cleaners the other day. I'm on a small island and I'm not sure if there is anywhere I can rent a shampooer. I'll look around.
    I'm renting, so I can't get a built-in. Been looking into a cordless Dyson vacuum that sounds like the solution to all my vacuum problems. This house has so much furniture that came with it. Like, we have an extra double bed in the livingroom (which is actually a boxspring and mattress on top of a futon), and 4 old, heavy pull-out couches. So I'm going to have a fun weekend. I'll experiment with some diy traps once I get time for sure.
    Usually we drive them down to our mailbox, which is probably around 2 miles for a mouse (it's a windy road, so completely guessing). If we catch one in the middle of the night, it doesn't get taken as far away. We're just always going to have mice here because we can't fix where they come in anyway (I think it's on the roof, and if you fall off it you'd end up in the ocean!) and there are a lot of mice around our house, lots of tall grass and forest. So we don't take them as far as we should, because I just really don't think it'll matter much. We move out of here the end of May, just doing our best until then. I think they're learned that the cat isn't much of a threat.

I had good results with pepermint oil this winter by just putting it around the kitchen, so i'll break that out again. I assume the rats also hate the smell but they'll just have to deal with it. The receptionist at the vets said that fleas are just everywhere here, and she's surprised if people don't have them. We get deer in our yard all day, so they could have hitched a ride on our clothes too.

Okay, off to vacuum! Woo hoo.

19. JanetNJ

Haha I have 7 inside cats and a colony of ferals outside. That would be one suicidal mouse to come in here. Once in awhile one Of the ferals will catch one and leave it in the driveway as a thank you.

20. Noah & me (GA)

Wait a minute, who is driving what 5 miles down the road? I'm sleepy (duh!) I respect life but fleas are meant to be squashed with a shoe, not relocated.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  21. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

lol. Syko will sit in the kitchen in hopes of seeing a mouse, but very rarely feels like chasing one. I don't think she'd every catch one, she's not very fast. Toy mice are more her speed. Apparently rats will actually hunt mice and are pretty good at it, though thankfully mine haven't yet. I don't need any other parasites to worry about around here.
    Mice! I don't think you'd have much luck squashing a flea with a shoe. Drowning with soapy water or bleach is the only way I know of killing them.

22. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

We get the field mice in our attic. We set traps, sorry I won't release them back.

I've been using Revolution for 8 yrs. Only time I've had fleas is PJ came into the house. She was confined to one room until she could be treated. When you vacuum, buy a flea collar (DO NOT PUT ON CATS). Snip a piece of the collar and put in vacuum bag.

23. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

We were in an apartment where we were almost the only ones with pets (they charged an expensive 'pet fee') so We haven't had to deal with fleas for a couple years. I should have known that our luck would run out.
    I will remember that for next time! Ouur vacuum just has a cannister. I just emptied it outside in the garage into a plastic bag and then into the big garbage bag. Then I shook out the filter too just to be sure. I'm going to buy some diatomaceous earth this weekend, throw it everywhere and vacuum again.

Still have only seen one flea, so I think we'll be okay. We have a lot of carpet, but it's all very low-pile at least.

I'm glad I kept my insulin syringes. The Revolution dosage for rats in 0.02ml, or 2 units (of the 'cat' or 'kitten' ones). Much easier to measure in an insulin syringe than the one the 1ml the vet gave me. I just drew it up and broke off the needle. Wish I had done the rats first, could have done everyone with one tube. Oh well.
    At least this got me to start my spring cleaning!

24. Noah & me (GA)

A pet fee? What a money grab. They should be charging a fee for the people that store 6 bicycles and all their garbage on the balcony. Toronto has a huge condo boom, the "bubble" that will never burst. I read today that 10,000 more people move into downtown Toronto every year. People have had cats and dogs forever, it's called companionship. There were probably more fleas in our managers pet free apartment than the other 27 floors combined.

25. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

BC and Alberta are really bad for 'pet fees' and other nonsense. That is, IF you find a place that allows pets at all. I'm originally from Ontario, and really miss their "any 'no pets' clause is void" thing. In Ontario a landord legally cannot do anything if you have a pet, even if it's in the lease. Condo's could be different though with their silly rules.

Alberta is the worst, they can charge a pet fee up to one months rent I believe, and it isn't refundable. Some charge 'pet rent'! (We lived in AB last year)
    In BC, pet fees are up to half a months rent, as are damage deposits, but you get both back as long as there are no damages. But housing is hard to find without pets, let alone with them :(
    There's a petition for BC to adopt a similar law as Ontario's, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

26. JanetNJ

Lmao.... She was talking about relocating mice.

27. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

LOL! Yes relocating mice, do not relocate fleas! :)

28. Noah & me (GA)

These fees serve no purpose. If you have a dog that howls all day a one time fee won't change that. As for cats I find it very insulting that a damage deposit may be needed because I might have cats that aren't neutered. Really? I'm so stupid and such a slob that I enjoy the smell of cat pee on every wall in every room! Of course they're neutered but I have to bring you a certificate saying so. Renting in Toronto is now almost impossible unless you want to live in a crappy neighborhood where no one wants to know your name or make eye contact. If you want to buy a tiny house anywhere near downtown you'll get into a bidding war and $800,000 is a low end price for a 3 bedroom home on a 24 foot wide lot. Now add an outrageous vet fee to your 30 year mortgage and see where your money went. Making this relevant to the forum: This is when my heart breaks for people that might save kitties life if they just pay for one more unnecessary test. I hate emergency clinics because they practice emotional blackmail. They know you're there at midnight on a Sunday, in tears, because you have no other choice. Then they just reach into your wallet and take what they want. We had a cat die in an emergency clinic and when I said I would pick up his little frozen cardboard box and let my own vet do the rest they were really insulted. We call them "The Cat Killers of *********"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.