AHI Update with Video :)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by stefani&toonces, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stefani&toonces

stefani&toonces Member

When last I posted, I was overjoyed that Ahi had been diagnosed with eosinophilic granuloma, as opposed to cancer.
    I started Ahi on 2.5 mg zyrtec twice a day to see if it would help his eosinophilic granuloma (trying to avoid steroids) but it made him puke. A day or so after stopping zyrtec, he stopped puking.

I took him in for his follow up visit, and the vet said that the lesion on his tongue is better, and the lesion on his gums is about the same. He has been doing this weird gulping/burping thing that looks a little bit like reflux after he eats, so the vet said to put him on 2.5 mg pepcid ac 1x a day. It seems to have helped some but it hasn't gotton rid of it. We are trying "doing nothing" about his eospinophilic granuloma for now and see if his improved condition causes it to improve. We are also not doing anything about his borderline hyperT for now since the numbers are still low.

He has gained nearly a pound! He is now 10 pounds, 13 oz. The shelter vet said that for his frame he could easily go up to 15. I think he would be too chubby! I think 12 or 13 would be good. The vet also removed what appears to be a cyst on his back and sent it for biopsy, but it didn't look like anything bad.

So, as far as getting him medically stable is concerned: He still isn't entirely off insulin, but needs only .25u somewhere between twice a day and every three days. Not a regular schedule, but that's the way it is. = NOTE please see Part 2

2. stefani&toonces

stefani&toonces Member

PART 2 AHI Update with Video :)

Sorry I am having issues with the screen refresh. Back to Ahi: We are not doing anything about suspected borderline hypert. We are not doing anything about the eosinophilic granuloma right now. Waiting for biopsy of cyst. He is due back in a month for a check up to see if the eosinophilic granuloma gets better as he gains weight. She thinks he's somewhere between 8 and 13 years old or so.

He is slightly less anxious about feeding now. (He doesn't quite attack me at feeding time! LOL). He has met all my cats and he is not very aggressive, he pretty much just goes about his business. He is a lovely cat especially as he puts on weight. I don't want a 5th cat, so I am hoping when I finally post "Ahi is ready for adoption" (in a month or so I think) some wonderful person will come forward, because I am besotted with him and letting him go will be super hard but I just keep repeating the mantra: 5 is too many 5 is too many 5 is too many. And for me it is. I have to tell you, I cannot imagine anyone spending time with this handsome, funny, affectionate, communicative big old boy without being totally in love. Really, even though he will come with some issues, he is so very worth it. Truly one of the Great Cats. No Joke. He is unbelievable.

So here is some video to show you how lovable he is. The first one is Ahi getting introduced to my cat Miracle on New Year's Eve for the 1st time. So, then this other thing happened: I was sweeping the floor, and noticed Ahi "stalking" the broom. I wondered if he'd go for some play, and don't you know it -- this old boy has some kitten in him yet. He is adorably playful.

Ahi meets Miracle on New Year's Eve
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIrLzlIxis8

Ahi Playing with Mousie on a String, 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI3mJbHJl7I

Ahi playihg with Mousie on a String, 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp38qa9KAew

3. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

He is really beautiful. Did Miracle every warm up?

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

He looks SO MUCH better Stefani. Has some weight on and enough energy to play. Great job.

I thought the meeting with Miracle went really well, but then I'm thinking how badly an introduction to Ennis would go.

5. stefani&toonces

stefani&toonces Member

Thanks guys.

Miracle doesn't hiss as much, but there isn't any love affair (which I'd been hoping for!)

As for the other three which he has now met (Venita, you will get a kick out of this . . . )

I have 3 female cats, all 10 years old (Miracle, Moxie, and JuJu) and 1 boy cat, 3 1/2 years old (Quixote).

You see Miracle's reaction.

JuJu is the worst. She is completely freaked out and hisses like crazy. At least she runs from him instead of attacking him.

Moxie hisses but not as much as JuJu. She pretty much only hisses when he gets close.

Quixote, on the other hand, hasn't hissed once. He is curious about Ahi, goes and smells him cautiously, then runs off. Not a sign of aggression in the young man. He must want another guy around. :lol:

So of all of them, the male has been the most accepting.

Ahi is perfect -- he is very confident, not afraid of them, doesn't really respond to the hissing, but if JuJu is in his way (the path he wants to go in), since he knows she is hissy, he "removes her" from the path by whacking her on the head and of course she freaks out and runs off and then he can proceed in the direction he wants (usually onto the couch).

My poor, high string JuJu.

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I love Quixote.

LOL. Yes he does seem confident, yet gentle.

7. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

what a cutie and so good. lucky you' thanks for sharing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.