air bubble in the injection?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RuthV, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RuthV

RuthV Member

In case I don't see a bubble of air and inject the cat, what's the worst thing or most common thing which can happen?

i try to be careful, but wonder "What if..."

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I guess you mean if you DO see an air bubble.

Nothing bad happens.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The amount of air you inject i too small to result in any problem. Some people who "inject" air when doing subQ fluids have reported that the area can crackle when touched.

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Since we inject under the skin, air bubble is no big deal. We don't inject right into the blood stream

5. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

Yeah, I am thinking of buying a good magnifying glass to avoid that. (older eyes here lol)

6. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Exactly. Since we don't put it into the circulatory system, the risk of anything negative happening is incredibly small. To be honest, sq injections would have to have a huge bubble in them to be an issue, but even then, it's not an "issue"...the body can absorb the bubble without much problem.

So while it's always best practice to get all the air out of the syringe before injection, a bit of air (especially with the size needle barrel we use) is not a big concern.

Best-
    Michele

7. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Ruth,

Thats right, we inject under the skin so not an issue. My problem lies with the fact that air bubbles mean I am giving less insulin. Any air means my Sara is not getting the dose she needs. At 0.5U those air bubbles are a big difference. I have to pull out more than she needs to get rid of any air.

Good luck with your kitty.

jan and sara

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.