Akbah OTJ!!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by akbahsMum, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Subject was:
    Akbah no insulin required for a week now

Hello. :smile: I just wanted to say that my boy Akbah hasn't needed insulin for a week now. Fingers crossed for another week and I can declare him off the juice...
    I put him on 5 meals a day; he hit blue numbers and stayed there. I've been giving him 6 meals a day for a few days now, and it's sort of got his numbers even lower. But I'm hating getting up at 4:30am. I need one of those automated feeders.

Another positive from the change in food is that my cute-but-round little civvie, Hannah, is now losing weight. She's come down from 7.2kg to 6.8kg. I'd been worried about her weight.

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Re: Akbah no insulin required for a week now

Go Akbah!

3. Jennifer & Saima (GA)

Jennifer & Saima (GA) Member

Terrific news!

4. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

Woo-hoo! and the beat goes on!! :D :lol:

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

have you tried freezing the food? it's easy to do, take the wet food, add water, and freeze - either in ice cube trays, plastic baggie or container. Once frozen, serve and it will take a couple hours to thaw and be ready for eating - try this and you can avoid the 4:30 am wake up feeding.

I like the plastic baggies - cause you can shape it and freeze and to get out, just turn the bag inside out and the food comes out very easily.

:D

6. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

oh awesome!!!

7. calliecat an marty

calliecat an marty Member

cat_pet_icon :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT \M/

8. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

That's such good news!

Melanie & Racci

9. SabrinaFaire

SabrinaFaire Member

YAY!!! Go Akbah go!!

10. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

GO AKBAH GO!!

Just LOVE OJT Parties!!

11. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Akbah says "Rrrrr!" He loves all this attention.
    He was 4.8 this morning! (86.4). I love green.

I increased his time having his ear warmed with the hot sock yesterday: we upped it to a minute from 30 secs. Lots of blood now!

12. Lori&Scout

Lori&Scout Member

Hey Nat,

I'm so happy to hear about Akbah!!! It warms my heart.. and gives me a lot of hope for the future.

Give him a cuddle from me and Scout. xx

Lori

13. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Today: AMPS: 3.4 (61.2) PMPS: 3.7 (66.6)
    Two days till Akbah's OTJ party :D touch touch wood wood wood.

Hey there Lori, :) well met fellow cat mum!

Cat people of FDMB: everyday I do something based on a tip I picked up here. The other day I bought glass ashtrays for the cat's meals. They are just the right shape and size for their new small meals. I forget who it was gave me that tip, but its just typical of the kind of practical advice here. When I make their breakfast, I then prepare their midday and 4pm meals, and stack them in a lunch box, seal with the lid, and put it in the fridge for my father in law, who is retired and usually around to do the honours.

14. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

really is great to read such good news :)

15. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

70.2 this morning. He jumps up next to me on the testing couch now to get his BG done. Amazing.
    Anyway. Akbah is off the juice!!!!! [edited to add:] I mean that he's done the official two weeks without needing a dose, qualifying him for the official OTJ party. [end edit]
    bcatrun_gif bcatrun_gif bcatrun_gif
    and running about like a kitten.

Its a bit hard because I saw two kitty deaths on the boards this week, they're so precious and all. I wondered about celebrating, but heck, its a great day for Mr Akbah Thelonius Cat.

16. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Welcome To The Falls Akbah!!!

Mousetinis and Tunaritas all around!!!!

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

17. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Congrats!!! Hope to see you there one day!!!

Happy Honeymooning - I hear the Falls are BEAUTIFUL this time of year!!! (or ANY time of year, for that matter!)

18. Jennifer & Saima (GA)

Jennifer & Saima (GA) Member

YAY congratulations!! So cool.

19. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

And now that I have time to sit down and put something together, I just wanna say...
    Its amazing the difference in him, and as far as I'm concerned it's all about FDMB. The difference between finding (an avalanche of) information, and the support and friendly advice, double checking, confidence boosting, comparing of spreadsheets, and general TRAINING I got here was
    - unbelievable
    - 24/7 because we are international
    - specific because there are fellow aussies here who could advise quickly on which food to choose
    - responsive because when one thing didn't work, people could suggest another

Ak and I are lucky because his system responded (did it ever!!!!) to the change to wet food, and here's hoping he has a lovely long honeymoon. We are also lucky because our vet was delighted by the changes (and maybe also because he wasn't around to interfere ;-) it all happened while he was on holidays).

Anyway my main dot point is, I am eternally grateful to you all for your amazing help. Not that this is a farewell speech or anything, I just wanna get this off my chest at an appropriate time. Guess I'm making a teary speech at the OJT party. blush. If and when he goes back to his insulin, he and I will both know the drill.

Now: Tunatini's all round!!!! Scout! Come sit here girlie.

20. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

No the credit goes to you and Akbah. All we did is make suggestions, you guys did the hard work, you read the information, you asked the questions and tried the suggestions. :D Oh yeah and you were the one that got on the computer in the first place and did that web search to find us! Everyone of us started out just like you did, scared and worried and in near tears, if not bawling like a baby, we stayed to pay it forward to the next group of newbies that followed us.

Your next mission should you choose to accept it is....To be one of those Aussies we yell for when we need food recommendations and to be here to help the next batch of freshly scared out of their minds newbies. :D

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

21. Lori&Scout

Lori&Scout Member

Oh Nat, I'm so happy for you and Akbah. I have been checking his spreadsheet every day with fingers crossed that the numbers stay green. I'm sitting here with a little tear in my eye, sniff sniff... I have to second all your comments about this site. I would have been lost without everyone and their advice has made such a difference in how well I am able to care for Scout... but when it comes down to it, hun, YOU are the one who helped Akbah get well again and looked after him when he was poorly. drinking09 drinking09 drinking09 Three martinis for mamabean!!!!!

Scout and I are enjoying your party... She's curled up on my lap... I think she'd like a Tunatini with a twist of Kangaroo. :)

Lori

22. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!! WELCOME TO THE FALLS!!!!!!!

PARTY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CELI & BINKS

[​IMG]

23. Mystery

Mystery Member

Congratulations!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.