Alabama Newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa McDowell, Jul 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa McDowell

Lisa McDowell New Member

My name is Lisa and I live near Huntsville, AL. I have six cats. Five of them are 11 to 16 years old. I just rescued one little black female from my neighborhood who is about 2 years old. My Sammy is 14 and was diagnosed with diabetes and I've been giving her insulin twice a day (2 units Prozinc) since evening of 7/10. So far so good with the shot. Her blood glucose registered over 500 at the vet that evening but no ketones. She did have a UTI. We're done with the antibiotic. I've been switching them over to the Purina diabetic food. I've tried to get her to eat moist, but I think it was too much change at first.

I wondered if anyone had issues with their diabetic cat being incontinent at first and if it regulated after treatment started. She only has the issue when she's sleeping. Otherwise she's in control. She's usually on my bed when it happens so I'm REALLY glad the mattress guy made me buy a water proof mattress cover for my memory foam matress last year. I have three now that I rotate.

She's doing fine. I'm having no issues with the injections. We go back next Friday for a recheck.

2. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Hi,

Which Purina food are you feeding? It's best to feed a low canned food carb diet under 10%. See this link: http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf. On insulin, it is best to slowly transition to a low carb canned diet.

Are you home testing Sammy's glucose levels? Home testing is crucial. Many of us here use an inexpensive human glucometer such as Walmart's ReliOn Micro and Confirm meters plus the strips. Most kits come with a 30 gauge. Starting out a 25/26 gauge/lancet is a good idea. The day I learned to home test CJ was the day I found out she was hypo. Had I not been home testing, CJ would have ended up in the ER/vet and I would have ended up with a huge bill.

BG #'s are usually higher at the vet due to a stressed cat. With home testing and guidance here, you'll know if the dose you're giving is too high or too low. Without daily monitoring, you run the risk of your cat going hypo (BG #'s falling too low), a dangerous situation.

Here's a good chart for home testing: EgqeKdpyttFW0oLoG1mbw16IkATAWHhoQD2JU

Don't rely on the BG #'s at the vet. You can do the BG testings and curves at home, save yourself money and needless, stressful trips to the vet/ER.

As for incontinent, I haven't had that happen with my CJ. I am sure someone else here can help address that issue.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 Carb found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.

4. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

@BJM Lisa's cat Sammy has incontinent. Can you help address that issue?

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

With incontinence, I can think of a couple of possibilities
    - diabetic neuropathy may contribute to this - glucose regulation and 300 mcg daily of methylcobalamin (a specific form of Vitamin B-12)
    - low electrolytes, such as potassium, calcium, or magnesium could affect bowel function
    - inflammatory bowel disease
    - spinal injury or lesion
    - food intolerance
    - exocrine pancreatic insufficiency

To manage the situation, you may find it helpful to use tarps or hospital chucks (think absorbent bed pads).
    Plain psyllium fiber may help give some form to the feces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.