Albert ate a mouse last night

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather & Seasaidh (GA), Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

DCIN foster Albert needs a furever home. Read his blog here: http://fdmb-cin.blogspot.com/2012/04/albert.html

Albert has been doing better since going to the vet on Tues, although the whole ordeal exhausted him. He went from not eating much to nothing at all and he was losing weight and his potassium was going down. When he was at the vet's he was given subQ's with potassium which I brought home and have been giving him daily fluids. He was given an appetite stimulant, cyproheptadine, which worked like magic for him and had no side effects on him. He's been eating FF and getting stronger. His lab work came back basically normal for an anorexic. The vet was on her way to a conference and didn't go into detail about the labs, but said that with fluids and regular eating he would get better.

Last night one of the other cats caught a baby mouse and announced the capture to the entire household. I was going to rescue it and put it outside when I decided on a whim to see how Albert would react to it. The poor little thing was still alive and I picked it up with a tissue and took it over to Albert who was resting on his bed. He immediately perked up and snatched it up into his mouth and growled. I tried to get the mouse out of his mouth but he wasn't going to let it go. I gave up. I couldn't watch and I did feel terrible, but Albert really needed the protein and this is how the ecosystem works.

Bingley watched him get fluids today and has spent all afternoon in Albert's room. I tried to get a pic of the two of them but Bingley didn't want Albert too close to him. Here is Albert, still tired, but doing better:

[​IMG]

He is walking around more to get to his food bowl and litterbox. You can see some of his Bengal markings in this pic. The vet confirmed him being part Bengal and having the physique of one.

2. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

Awe... He's a purty kitty.

Sneakers eats mice, too. Sometimes she leaves half... always the back half.

3. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

What a cutie! I'm glad he's improving and I hope he finds his furever home soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.