Albert is in his new foster home! also, any ProZinc-ers?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather & Seasaidh (GA), Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

He is very shy but he is such a sweet boy! When I brought him home I placed him on the bed, but clearly that wasn't going to work out because of his neuropathy even though I had placed some things nearby the bed as steps. So he's resting comfortably on the floor...he has several pet beds and a comfy rug and blanket and I plan to hang out with him tonight while I do my studies.

The vet tech said that his walking has improved throughout the week and he's not walking on his haunches as much. He attempts to walk on his toes but he takes a step or two and then he sits down. So I tried to put everything he needs near him on the floor.

He was very patient with me when I tried to test him (took three tries before I got blood, I'm a little rusty), and he was an angel when I gave him his shot.

I know I need to do a SS, and I will, and I will also join the ProZinc board but if there's anyone out there who can give me an idea of what to expect? His PS was 311 and I was told to give him 2 units which I did. However, while he was at the vet he was getting both dry and wet. I am attempting to feed him only canned, but so far he hasn't eaten anything. I will monitor his BG and make sure he's ok. But I'm wondering when it peaks?

Here is the sweet boy when I first brought him home and had him on the bed:
    [​IMG]

2. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Bless you for fostering him! I'll be he knows that you are trying to help him, which is why he's being good. And sometimes I have to poke Cedric several times to get blood, even when it's heated. granted it's been almost a month - I am behind with updating his sheet - but he is good 'cause he knows a treat is coming.
    Unfortunately, we didn't use your insulin...I think Carl from SC did, so maybe he'll pipe in.

Again, thanks for taking such good care of this guy and bringing him into your home!

3. Prozinc will nadir between +5 and +7 usually, but it will take some time to normalize. If you can check him, try around +4 to see if he's dropped too fast or too much. That way you can feed him then to stop him from dropping too low.

At this point, the important thing is that he eats, even if all he will eat is dry. Changing instantly to all canned can cause a big drop in BG (some people see 100 points pretty much overnight). That dose might be a little strong, especially if he's eating just low carb canned and not eating much of it.

Please keep us posted.

Carl

(I used PZI, not prozinc, but they are pretty close to the same. Same logic anyway. PZI has a little shorter duration. Prozinc can last 10-14 hours). And feel free to cross post in PZI so current users can help.

4. Hi Heather!

I posted in PZI and asked some of the folks on line now to come over and give you some tips. I wanted to say "bless you" for taking this adorable boy into your home!
    As far as how Prozinc works and what to expect. I see in your sig that you are familiar with Humulin? OK, think "Humulin" only not as harsh, not as steep of a drop and rise, and duration that is about twice as long. But logic-wise it will be easy for you to understand. Smiley shaped curves, low point halfway through the cycle, and you can buffer the drop by feeding during the 1st half of the cycle if you see rapid or deep drops. It usually onsets between +1 and +2, nadirs at +5 or +6 and then rises towards +10 or +12. You'll have to collect data for at least a week until you can really have an idea of what sort of drop and duration you'll see.

Most kitties start at 1u, some less, but I don't know Albert's history, what sort of numbers the vet saw that based his starting dose on. Any history you can give us will help us to help you and Albert!

Carl

5. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Hi Heather, come on over and say hi at PZI. Lots of kind folks who can help you out. Looking forward to getting to know you and Albert :D

6. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Hi Heather! and Welcome!!!

THANK YOU for taking in Albert! I know what a difference it will make in his life!

Grayson uses ProZinc, and we started at 1 unit - 1-2 is a pretty normal starting dose. 311 is a great preshot... Grayson used to be in the 450s and up. Some folks see a 300 point drop - while others only a 100 if we're lucky (from a 400 or so). Grayson's not a bleeder either, so after 3 months, it's still a challenge sometimes. We typically use his right ear - it bleeds easier than his left!

It may be the adjusting to a new place that is inhibiting his appetite. When Chewy (a DCIN foster) came to live with Kim (kse and Kitty - on ProZinc) he was kinda grumpy the first night and didn't eat much. She left him in a large dog crate with food, water, litter box & bed, and he ate. I think there were just too many new sights and sounds and spaces for him initially. It only took him a day or two to adjust to her house and other cats, and he has since made himself right at home! He's the king of their castle! Kim's Kitty has been sick lately, but you may want to touch base with her at some point.

When I first started, Kim advised me to test him the first day at +5 and +7 to see where he nadired. +5 was lower, so the next day I tested at +4 and +6. That'll give you an idea of how long the insulin takes to drop, but as with most of us and our pets, sometimes it takes a while to get into a rhythm. Grayson ran REALLY LONG cycles, and we dropped back his dose.

Come on over to PZI and take a look at some of our spreadsheets and ask questions. There's usually someone around most of the time... a few keep earlier and later shooting schedules. Again, welcome and thank you for caring for a kitty in need!

Lu-Ann

7. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

Thanks so much for the quick replies and advice! Albert finally did eat a little bit and then he got up on top of the cat carrier all by himself that's next to the bed. The bed is kinda high so I gave him a lift to the bed, but it was great to see him climb up on top of something.

Humulin U lasted a really long time with Seasaidh to the point where I had to spread out the shots longer than 12 hours apart. I will definitely take a look at some of the other SS on ProZinc. Anyway, for the night I'll be checking on the board from my phone. I will post an update later.

Thanks again :)

8. Ah, I hadn't noticed your sig showed "U", just saw the "Humulin". So you are already used to longer duration.

Carl

9. lynda and scruffy (GA)

lynda and scruffy (GA) Member

Heather, this was great of you. It's always so amazing when someone steps up and literally saves the life of one of these cat who are so in need.

I'm always wishing that people weren't so darn far away so I could hug them.....

10. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for saving Albert and giving him a foster home!

I took Chewy, a DCIN foster, in about 7 weeks ago. His situation sounds very similar to Alberts. He was eating dry and was transitioned to wet the week before I got him. His BGs were running in the 300s when I got him-- I started at 1 unit of Prozinc. I slowly increased and got up to 1.5 units, when I realized he needed less. I continued to reduce and he now has been without insulin for 3 weeks. His SS is attached to my signature, you might want to check it out. I have not updated the last couple of weeks, as my Cat has been in and out of the hospital and I have not had time. BUT, I have continued to test and he actually is below 100 now on all tests. The switch to wet food can make a tremendous difference.

I, along with everyone in PZI, look forward to helping you and Albert!

Once Again, Thanks for opening your heart and home to Albert!

Kim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.