Albon Liquid

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Holly and Josie, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

Has anyone ever been prescribed this medicine for your cat? Did it impact your cat's BG levels? My cat is on her 8th day of this medicine and I am concerned with how it is impacting her BG's. I only have two days left of this medicine, and I'd like to finish it, but at the same time, I am concerned with how it is affecting her. Just wondering if anyone else had experience with this medicine? Thanks!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have never heard of Albon (Sulfadimethoxine) being used for an UTI unless the urine culture and sensitivity show the infection was susceptible to Sulfadimethoxine. Sulfadimethoxine is typically prescribed for coccidiosis, a protozoal infection of the intestinal tract.
    Antibiotics themselves really do not effect BGs, it is the underlying problem that affect the BGs.
    It could be that the UTI is coming back after stopping the Clavamox on the 20th.

3. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

Larry and Kitties - Thanks for your response. Yeah, it does seem like an unusual choice.

The reason I'm concerned now is because it seems that her BG's go very high within a few hours of receiving the Albon. I generally give her the Albon a few hours before her AMPS. Her numbers will go from very low to very high in a few short hours. It doesn't do this before the PMPS. So Monday night, I delayed the Albon dose before the AMPS. Her numbers did not go high as they had been. I ended up giving her the Albon about 12 hours late, a few hours before the PMPS. Her numbers went really high, just as they always do after giving her this medicine. So I'm thinking this medicine is raising her BG's. Which makes NO sense because this medicine is supposed to, if anything, lower her BG's. (Lower BG's are a side effect.)

As far as if the UTI is coming back, I'm not sure. She never had symptoms to begin with, I just found out through a urine test. And of course, on my original thread about this (which I think you posted on) there were posters who questioned whether or not she even had an infection.

This is confusing. I feel like I am giving her the wrong medication for an illness she may not have, which may be raising her BG's, even though it is supposted to lower them. I am ready to pull my hair out.

4. Vesla and Blondie (GA)

Vesla and Blondie (GA) Member

Albon liquid comes with a 'palatable custard flavor carrier'.

So, all you have to do is taste it and if it's sweet, you can be sure there is some type of sugar used in the flavor. I tried to look up the inactive ingredients for Albon liquid and when I googled it, I got Pfizer and it read something about having corn starch in it but when I went to click on that page, it wouldn't show those words, just the categories for animals.

Give it a taste and if it's sweet, then there's your culprit. When I get the chance, I'll call my friend who's the vet in my town and ask him to read the label off to me. I'll also ask him what he thinks about Albon liquid and high BG's. And let you know what he said. V

5. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

Thanks for your help! It definitely seems sweet and it does look like custard.

I only have two doses left and I do want to finish, but at the same time, I don't want her BG's to go so high. I wonder if maybe if I gave it to her at at certain time if that would help. I have been giving it to her as her insulin is wearing off. I wonder if I gave her the Albon as her insulin was coming on, if that would help? That was my plan for today, but I'm not sure if it's a good one or not.

6. Vesla and Blondie (GA)

Vesla and Blondie (GA) Member

I am by no means a vet doc but if my Blondie had been prescribed a med with sugar in it, I would give it to him when he had insulin working in him.

In fact, I would most likely would have given it to him after he ate and before his insulin shot. It would be akin to giving him a higher carbo wet food instead of his regular. I hope I'm making sense here...

The insulin would be in his system and able to tackle better the higher anticipated BG's from the Albon. V

7. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

That's sort of what I'm going to do today. We tested her, gave her food, gave her insulin and she will be getting the Albon shortly. I appreciate your thoughts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.