Alex (a himmy) in Lake Worth, FL (needs a home)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN), May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) Member

DCIN has added a courtesy post for Alex the Majestic in Lake Worth, FL. Adoptions to Palm Beach County, FL, only. However, DCIN has sent the rescue an email asking whether that policy can be relaxed in this situation.

[​IMG]

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

What a pretty boy!

Bumping him up

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you find a home and need help with transport, let me know. I am in Jacksonville, FL and can help with one of the legs of the trip.

4. MommaOfMuse

5. MommaOfMuse

bump again

6. MommaOfMuse

Okay I'm just going to keep bumping this boy and Ginger up until someone lets them rescue them. =)

7. MommaOfMuse

Bump

Come on Florida people! I would adopt him but I'm in Nebraska and he can't leave the Sunshine State and I so don't need another kitty. But how can you resist that sweet face.

Mel, Maxwell And The Fur Gang

8. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Bump. I have a full house so I can't take him. But I can try to help with the transport if he is heading north up I-95 to his new home.

9. MommaOfMuse

Bump

What we have no florida folks that want an extra sweet plushy boy to decorate their house?

Mel, Maxwell and The Fur Gang

10. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Hi everyone, and, of course, all your sweet furries,

I just don't understand some policies...

Before Nikki rescued me, there was another extra-sweet furry looking to rescue someone who caught my eye and heart. He lived in the midwest. His foster group didn't allow out-of-state (much less county!) adoptions. I emailed and had several phone calls with the group's people asking them to reconsider their adoption policy for this special needs cat. They wouldn't budge -- then. Eventually they did, and dearest Dale -- with a heart that makes mine humble -- was able to adopt Dreamsicle. McDreamy to his many fans here...

Fortunately for me, Fancy Cats Rescue in Northern VA, understood Nikki's double special needs plight -- diabetic and an only -- and were happy to let her rescue me... We've been dancing three years, two months, and five days...

Nope. I just don't understand some policies...

Okay, so this was kind of a long, somewhat emotional bump for Alex...

Love and hopeful hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart...

11. Lisa and Witn (GA)

I think that if we could find someone out of state that we could hopefully get them to change their minds. Especially since it is a special needs kitty and we are a group who specializes in caring for that need. Unfortunately I have a full house I have no more room at my in so I can't adopt him. Someone, please consider giving this handsome guy a new home.

12. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Hello feline-loving Floridians,

Here is a Himmy who apparently recognizes his handsomeness in his own reflection. What more could you possibly ask for?

I am not a nag; but, I can and will bump for eternity if that's what it takes for Alex to be adopted. Don't even get me started on getting Ginger adopted...

I have been blessed to have been rescued by an extra-sweet cat named Nikki. I'd be glad to tell you more; but, apparently I might need some of the good stories for extra bumping for Alex...

BUMP!!!!!!

Love and please consider opening up your hearts kind of hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart...

13. MommaOfMuse

Look he is even the right color to be a florida orange mascot...So BUMP!

Mel, Maxwell, & The Fur Gang

14. MommaOfMuse

15. Byt2luv

Byt2luv Member

Not to get off topic but I thought I should let those know why some rescues will not adopt out of state. IAs I am a volunteer and foster mom with a rescue there is a very good reason for them to be hesitant. Most rescues are rescues for life. This means we have a contract and within that contract certain things must be abided by. If the kitty goes out of state though more likely than not that contract is no longer valid. Some rescue have very strict stipulations such as the cat should not be given to anyone else should the adopter not be able to keep them... that if a vet recommends euthanizing then they must contact that rescue first, that there is no de-clawing... I could go on and on but I think you know where I am going. If the cats go out of state though rescue cant enforce it. You would not believe some of the people we had and are still dealing with. It can be down right cruel sometimes. There have been many times we have had to rush to the vets to stop them from euthanizing and to take the cat back and save them. Obviously there are always exceptions to the rule but if you don't know the person and haven't met the community trusting someone to adopt , especially a special needs, can be very scary.

I hope this helps you understand.

Ronda (Ginger's Foster Mom)
    Fancy Cats Rescue Team Foster Mom and Volunteer

16. traceyg

traceyg Member

17. MommaOfMuse

18. wombat88

wombat88 Member

Aww, he looks like my Hobbes, a rescue I lost years ago to cancer. Wish I lived near there or I'd take him. :(

19. MommaOfMuse

You could always try contacting the rescue that has him and let them know you are experienced in caring for a diabetic and see if they will fudge the rules a little to help out a guy that needs a very special kind of person to care for him. The worst they can say is no, and who knows they just might say yes, and you would have a new fluffy member of the family. I'm sure that if they would release him to you, we could figure out a way to get him to his new home.

Just a thought, because he is way too good looking to be living in a shelter.

Mel, Maxwell and The Fur Gang

20. Lisa and Witn (GA)

If they let you have him, we will find a way to get him to you. cat_pet_icon

21. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Which rescue group has this cat? I don't understand why they restrict to only one county. What if someone in another FL county is interested?

22. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

I live in Seminole cty, but I can't take him. Not sure how he would get along with Cedric - I think Cedric would be more adverse to a younger female if I could afford having another cat after just buying this house. The big problem for me would be my mom and her alergies. She developed alergies to cats when we adopted a tuxedo (my Holly) and a white deaf persian (her Missy) back in 1978. She can tolerate the short hair cat for short periods of time (ie a night or 2, we don't spend a lot of time at my place when she comes to FL anyway - she loves the beach), but she would not be abel to handle the long hair. she was recently in a car accident, is not in the best of shape and is worried about losing her job. Wouldn't suprise me if she came to live with me at some point, but there is no way Cedric would go.

I sure hope Alex finds a forever home quickly. he is quite handsome!

23. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

I have finally spoken to someone from the rescue, and I expect a call back from "the cat lady." I'll touch back when I get more info.

24. traceyg

traceyg Member

If someone out of Florida would like him can some one in florida adopt him. keep him for a little while then re-adopt him to a forever home? or is this a forbidden question to ask in a public form?

25. Lisa and Witn (GA)

26. MommaOfMuse

27. traceyg

traceyg Member

any more info on this cat?

28. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

I am still waiting for a call back, Tracey.

29. MommaOfMuse

30. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Would it help if someone went to visit this cat in person and maybe give them a donation? I couldn't adopt this cat but this might help to get them to be more flexible with their adoption rules. I also wonder if this group is educated about how to care for a diabetic cat. I live about an hour's drive from Lake Worth.

31. Lisa and Witn (GA)

It may be worth a try. Unfortunately, I have a full house and no room for any more. If they would be more flexible and let us help find him a home even if it is out of state, I could possibly help with some of the transport.

32. MommaOfMuse

33. MommaOfMuse

34. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

35. wombat88

wombat88 Member

I should have subscribed to this topic as I didn't catch these posts. I have emailed the shelter, but doubt they will change their policy. Will report back about what they say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.