Alex is Fighting his Shot--Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ginny & Alex, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginny & Alex

Ginny & Alex Well-Known Member

When we started this ordeal (I think some of you call it a dance) back in mid-April, I was mostly concerned that Alex wouldn't let us check BG levels with ear pokes and give shots. For about a month now, he has tolerated things pretty well, but the last couple of days, he has been hissing and growling and attacking me at shot time and isn't crazy about the ear pokes either.

This morning, he actually bit me and drew a little blood.
    I know I didn't get all the insulin in, but I'm hoping some of it went in.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of feisty behavior?

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

No expert here so hoping others chime in shortly, but looking at your spreadsheet, it looks like the more you increase his dosage the higher numbers you are getting not lower. So only taking a complete stab in the dark here, could it be that he is getting too much insulin and thus associating the shots with making him feel bad rather than better?

Like I said only guessing but I know with Max once he went into remission for awhile he was hard to test, because I think he associated test with shot and feeling better, but since he was already feeling great didn't think he needed the ear pokes. Once he associated ear poke with treat, he went back to being easy to test again. But I still have to show him I have the treat before he will sit still for his ear pokes.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

3. Ginny & Alex

Well, I have a whole other thread on the PZI forum about the proper dose too. Last night, it was pretty undecided whether I should increase or decrease, but many of the PZI-experienced people thought I should increase.

I will add that while I've taken away most dry food, Alex still has a few nuggets of Audrey's kibble. Audrey is my non-diabetic kitty. She's eating the EVO dry--the lowest carb dry food according to the food lists on this site. Everyone is highly recommending I get rid of the dry, but I don't want to make Audrey miserable--and I have enough stress too.

As far as Alex's general well-being, other than peeing too much and eating more than he used to, he seems OK. He sleeps a lot, but he's an almost-11 year old cat and has always slept more than Audrey.

4. Stephanie&Willy

Stephanie&Willy Member

No expert but wanted to bump your thread and possibly throw out an idea or two...

Have you tried Feliway/Comfort Zone? I am getting some this week to try for some bullying going on among my cats but I read that some vets will buy the spray version and spray it on their coats when they deal with cats. It's a tad expensive, but maybe it could be worth looking into?

You could try wearing gardening gloves (leather) with the fingertips cut out to protect yourself. I know that doesn't solve the problem and it is much less than ideal but it may make you more relaxed knowing that you're at least a little better protected from claws and teeth.

I hope someone can come by with some real ideas... I am sorry you're having a difficult time.

5. Ginny & Alex

I'm not familiar with the product you mentioned. What's it do?

As for the gloves, I tried that his morning and they made hanging onto the needle difficult. So he's squirming, hissing and biting and I can't give shots like that. Hubby will try tonight, but he is travelling a lot right now and is gone for days at a time.

I'm feeling blue today.

6. Stephanie&Willy

Stephanie&Willy Member

http://www.feliway.com/us/About-Feliway

It's a synthetic version of the pheromones in kitty's cheeks that they use to make their territory (when they rub on stuff). It's supposed to have a calming effect that helps with a lot of behavior issues (assuming there is no other underlying cause). They make it as a diffuser and a spray and I think a collar as well. I am not sure if it would help your situation but I've read about vets using it when working with cats.

Did you try cutting the fingers of the gloves off? I could imagine it would still be very difficult. I have really small hands so I think even with the fingers cut out I wouldn't be able to hold the syringe because my hand would be swimming in extra glove.

I hope you are able to find help with this, I wish I had more to offer! Hopefully someone more experienced can offer some help/insight.

7. Kathyh

Kathyh Member

Gloves, I have really small hands (most kids by 3rd grade have hands bigger than mine). Thankfully lots of places now make and market kids sized gardening gloves, which is what I buy. Also buy kids winter gloves.

8. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

Hey there. Just want to chime in and say that your cat may be bruised where you normally inject him. I know Noxin stopped running for ear pokes, and then actively avoided them for a few days before I figured it out. I shone a light on his ear, and saw I had been rubbing and poking a spot with a big bruise.

After a week of extra babying and paying attention to where I was poking and how roughly I was 'milking' his ear, we got back to the regular routine.

Edit: I know if someone had tired to poke or prod me on the spot where I had gotten my tetanus shot, shortly after I got it, I would have bitten them too. :twisted:

9. mococo

mococo Member

Please note I don't have experience with PZI, only Lantus- I shift injection sites around the shoulder blade area with each injection so one spot doesn't develop too much attention, it doesn't affect the efficacy with Lantus. Same thing goes for ear pokes. I switch ears each time and switch location.

I'm also really big on keeping routine with everything testing and injection related, we only have two spots in the house where we test, and one spot for injections. Our routine stays constant so that way he knows what is coming, and doesn't get surprised. I noticed when I poked him or interrupted him in other locations, I got a more upset kitty. I also treat with each poke, even the unsuccessful ones. The treats are small, freeze dried chicken bits (like 1/2 the size of a dime) or 1/2-1/4 of a greenie, but it's enough to encourage pokes to be a good thing. also a little pain killing neosporin will help, and some extra pressure on the poke site for ears.

if need be- kitty burrito while you have him between your knees and you are kneeling, it's kitty lock down for poking, but some times you just have to wrap up a kitty. :)

good luck!

10. Ginny & Alex

Thanks for your suggestions, but I don't think Alex is sore. Even if I start to pull his skin up to tent him, he's getting hissy.
    I don't think it's pain, but just his ornery personality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.