Alex update - 1 month OTJ

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan&Alex, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan&Alex

Susan&Alex Member

Alex has been off insulin (Novalin N) for four weeks. Earlier this week, he ran out of Fancy Feast classic so I fed him Science Diet m/d dry that I got from his first vet. I kept it on hand in case I ran out of food for him even though I told the vet (pre-testing) that he seemed to get really bad off when he ate it. He didn't believe me. After eating this "supposed" diabetic dry food in the evening, all he wanted to do in the morning was drink lots of water. I tested him at 198. Of course, I ran out and got his Fancy Feast classic. By evening, his sugar was going down and was normal by the next morning. I guess he's really not in remission...he's just a diet controlled diabetic. I buy his Fancy Feast by the case, and he eats 4 cans a day. He's putting on weight and doesn't have a bony look now. Now I know there is no substitution for what works for him.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

remission is being diet controlled - it is important to continue feeding as if the cat still needs insulin, it is the only way to truly make this work - once a diabetic always a diabetic - just a question of insullin yes or no...

congratulations on not needing insulin and alex being diet controlled - it is now safe to remove that dry food from your house once and for all.

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

'Remission' is not a cure. Remission means that the diabetes is diet-controlled. Think of it this way: The damaged pancreas can produce enough insulin to deal with a low carb wet diet. It cannot produce enough insulin to deal with a diet that is higher in carbs. For a diet that is higher in carbs insulin injections may become necessary. Therefore - to preserve the status of 'remission' - it is essential that a low carb diet be maintained - permanently...

Edited to add;
    And even when a low carb diet is maintained there are no guarantees that remission will be permanent. (Though I'm keeping fingers crossed for you that it will be!)

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting him diet controlled!

Be alert for dental disease or other infections. Those commonly cause relapses. If you're up for it, teach him to allow tooth brushing (see Cat Info for info on it)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.