Alex update - not good

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mauravdl, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mauravdl

Mauravdl New Member

Alex has been on aggressive IV fluids for days and we got his blood glucose down into normal. So we did some lab tests last night on his kidney values and his hemoglobin, expecting to see that his values had improved. Instead they are vastly worse. He's in very aggressive end-stage renal failure. The vet believes that even sub-q fluids at home would only get him a day or two and death by renal failure is an ugly, uncomfortable death. I can't do that to him, not matter how much I want to cling to him for another few days even. It would only be for me.

So I have an appointment at 3pm today to see him over the Rainbow Bridge while he's still comfortable.

I wanted to thank you for all the education and support you have offered me and your advice. I now have a set of skills I didn't have before and a much better understanding of feline diabetes and will be able to cope if I end up with another sugar cat.

This sucks and I'm bawling badly. But thank you all and give your kitties special love today in Alex's honor.

- Maura

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear this news about Alex.

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Giving that final act of love is the most painful thing a Bean can do but it is one we owe. You are doing right by your sweet Alex. Trading a sick and tired body for a free healthy spirit the pain becomes yours. I'm so sorry you both are going through this.

Fly free sweet kitty land ever so softly...

jeanne

4. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Maura))))
    I am very sorry that you have to make this decision, but it sounds like you are making the right one for Alex.
    Keeping you and Alex in my thoughts and prayers.

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Maura, I'm am so sorry. In the end Alex is getting the kindest gift of love anyone could give. I hope you can take comfort in knowing that you are freeing him and giving him this gift. Fly free sweet (((Alex)))

6. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry you're having to go through this. That pain is still very real for me, having made that same decision not 48 hours ago. It is the bravest, kindest thing you can do. May you find peace comfort over the coming days.

7. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I am so sorry that we cannot help with this, but know that we are here in support. Fly Free Alex :sad:

8. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

You are right - it sucks BIG TIME. Its the one time in our animals' lives when we wish that we weren't responsible pet owners. It takes wisdom and strength to make this decision. Alex knows this. May peace envelop you.

9. Mowgli and Keri

Mowgli and Keri Member

I am so sorry to hear, you are doing what is best for him...It is NEVER easy, and NEVER gets easier..Being with him is the most important part! You are being very brave for the kitty you love so much! Ease his suffering..Fly Free Alex, and Maura find comfort in that...

10. mrswoodwoose

mrswoodwoose Member

All I can say is that I am sending my love.

11. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

There are just no words to ease your pain. But you are giving your sweet boy the final act of love we humans have to give our furry friends. Wrapping you in tons of cyber hugs.

Fly free sweet Alex, you will be in good company at the Bridge, until it is time to be with your mom again.
    Muse and Onyx will greet you and show you around.

Mel, Max, & The Fur Gang

12. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i'm so sorry, maura. :( (((Maura)))

13. cjleo

cjleo Member

Maura, So sorry you have to make this decision. But, you have given Alex a great gift. Please find comfort in releasing him from pain. He will run free and happy at the Rainbow Bridge.

Wishes for comfort and solace in your time of tears.

Claudia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.