Alexander has just been diagnosed...BG is 500-600

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by charna, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charna

charna New Member

Hey all,

I'm really new to this and this post will probably be missing important information. But I have to get into the conversation(s) because the handful of posts I've read here have FINALLY made me feel like I can find a road to wellness for my boy.

He was diagnosed 7 days ago with BG 450 and sugar present in his urine. Vet prescribed Lantus 1 unit 2x day and told me to revisit in 20 days for a fructosamine test. Previous diet was BFF 2/5 oz 2x day + 1/4ish cup of dry free fed daily (I know, I know). Upon diagnosis I switched him cold turkey to 2-3 oz EVO chicken and turkey 2x day and 5 kibbles of EVO dry as a treat after his insulin shot.

A couple of days in (and after much online reading) I got a glucometer and failed miserably a couple of times trying to test his BG at home. I'm completely interested in tight regulation and as a grad student writing from home most of the time, I'm completely able to take it on. His demeanor seemed to be improving, however, and I think we were both adjusting to all the changes (guilt) and then today he was less interested in food (only ate 2 oz in AM and 1 oz in PM). I got up the courage to test BG again and it was >600. I freaked out, called various emergency vets and realized I could not afford to rush him to the hospital tonight and spend $800+ (I once sold my car to pay this guys vet bills, that's another story, but given the stress on him and the fact that they would just give insulin and monitor, I decided to keep testing and wait until 8 am to call my regular vet (only 4.5 more hours!!). Have kept testing hourly and he is staying between 500-600, clearly the current dosage of Lantus is not working (which I anticipated at the get-go; I just didn't think it would be this bad).

Suggestions are completely welcome. I'm a bit delirious right now and just cuddling with him between ear pricks until we can call my vet. Will get my first AMPS reading at 630 am, so with BG data for 11 hours that should hopefully convince my vet to support my desire to closely monitor and regulate my boy.

I'm going to keep reading to pass the time. Feeling overwhelmed and sooo grateful for posts like "message from your cat." Heading to the Lantus thread...

My best to everybody.
    Charna

Attached Files:

2. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Hello and welcome =)

Lantus takes a few days... take it slow, let the dose settle for long enough before increasing so you don't miss anything. Those are some high numbers, but you can pick up some Ketostix or Ketodiastix at your local pharmacy to urine test for ketones, which are the immediate threat of constant high numbers. Otherwise relax, take a breath... read "Message from your Cat" again if you need...

Fortunately for you, it sounds like you have one of the better side of vets we see on here (mine is one too, yay for good vets) and it is great that you're already on board with home testing. If you feel confident enough to do a few curves at home, you won't need to do that fructosamine test, either. Home testing saves a lot of money that way. Someone will probably set you up with a BG tracking spreadsheet soon, then you can share those numbers with everyone here and they can help you with your dose.

And don't forget to breathe... it gets easier.

3. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Don't panic, high numbers like that are horrible to see but not immediately dangerous in themselves, no need to run to the vet on the basis of those numbers alone.

As Ry suggested though you should get the ketodiastixs or ketostixs ASAP if you need help with how to get a urine sample just ask. The difference is ketodiastixs measure glucose as well which may come in handy but should not be relied on for the purpose of calculating dose. It's great that you've managed to home test already.

Ketones are extremely dangerous and a run to the vet may be warranted if you find Alexander does have ketones, other than that high BG readings are dangerous over the long term rather than immediately and you're already on your way to get those under control.

Can you tell me what time the tests were taken in relation to the time you gave the shot. It is best to give that information as + however many hours from your shot time rather than in actual time, e.g. if you shot at 6 and then tested at 9 the time of that test would be +3

I'm just going to go and find the spreadsheet link and then I'll be back.

4. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Okay, here is the link to help you set up a spreadsheet

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50130

Apart from reduced appetite is Alexander acting off at all?

Did your vet take a blood test?

It seems that you have been giving Lantus at 1 unit twice a day for seven days can you confirm please.

Also I would stop testing hourly for now but do get your AMPS test. A better treat for after shots and tests would be meat of some variety. I use raw chicken for Vyktor, other people use shrimp or some sort of freeze dried chicken product you can get in the US - is that where you are?

I will keep checking back in periodically for the next few hours to see if you are back online, I think I just missed you with my first post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.