Alfred's Adventure

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alfred, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alfred

Alfred Member

Hello!

Alfred survived the 3 day car ride here and has been doing pretty good. The last time he received his insulin was the morning before we left to drive here which was 6/8/14.

I did not give him any insulin on our journey because he was not eating very much at all. Once we finally got here his appetite remained poor and he developed diarrhea. I still did not give him any insulin and took him to the vet. At the vet his glucose tested at 143. He got sub-q fluids, anti-nausea meds, appetite stimulant and anti-diarrhea meds. His appetite improved and I've been slowly switching him from W/D to Fancy Feast Classics. He is no longer being fed any dry food and is almost 100% on the Fancy Feast. I feed him 1/2 a tin every six hours so he gets a total of 2 cans of FF a day.

He is behaving normally and acting like his old self, wanting pets, being a typical kitty. I just tested him and he was at 53 and since it's time for feeding again I fed him.

My question is, can he really be in remission already? I'm going to continue testing him once a day to monitor where he's at, but it just seems incredible that he could go OTJ so quickly. He's not had any insulin for two weeks now. Should I be testing him more often? I was testing him twice a day at the beginning of last week and his numbers were all under 100. I always tested before I fed him.

I just want to make sure I'm not screwing anything up and causing him any harm by not giving him any insulin.

Thank you!

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If he has not had insulin in two weeks, then yes, he is in remission. Great job. :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

3. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

Great news
    x

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Normal numbers with no insulin for 2 full weeks? Hooray! He is OTJ!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.