Alfred's Diabetic Adventure

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Alfred's Human, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

PMPS last night 431 gave 2.5 units.

He ate well overnight.

AMPS today 198 ... stalling for now.

Problem for today is I have to go to work and I won't be able to come home and test at lunch because I have to go to a class for work. :(

1/2 hr stall he's at 265 shot 2.5 units.

I know he'll be fine but I will worry all day. Left extra food out for him and gave him some extra "treats" (YA Zero kibble).

He ate a good breakfast, so he should be fine ... I'm just trying to talk myself into being calm since I won't be able to test him today, but I don't want to backslide with his numbers. :nailbiting:

I know I'm making a big deal out of nothing but I worry ... a lot! :banghead:

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I think you made the right decision, and that Alfred should be just fine today. I know it’s hard not to worry though. I think we all feel that worry when we have to leave. :bighug:

3. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Thank you so much for your reply, it really made my day when I saw it while I was at work worrying; it really helped me to be more confident that I had done the right thing, thank you! :bighug:

He was 437 at PMPS so I'm sure he was fine today and this gave me more confidence in shooting so I won't worry as much in the future. I'm going to work at collecting data so I can make more informed decisions based on what Alfred's numbers are telling me. I'm tweaking my work schedule so I'll have more leeway to stall in the mornings which will help a lot to alleviate stress for me. I'm going to try to get into the habit of getting mid-cycle tests a couple times a week for AM and PM so I have more data.

Let the adventure begin! ;)

Rachel, Sharon14 and Djamila like this.
  4. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

You've developed a good plan. Those first few months are very tough - building confidence. Looks like you are doing a great job with Alfred - yes, let the adventure begin!!:bighug::bighug:

5. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Now if I can actually stick to the plan and not get overwhelmed! ;)

Alfred's appetite is off today. My civie has been sneezing and may have bronchitis so she's just started antibiotics. Alfred has now also started sneezing ... perhaps he's caught what civie has? :banghead:

Got him to eat a little something maybe 1oz so gave 2.5u (AMPS 431). I hate it when he doesn't want to eat! If it's not one thing it's another. :( I feel like I have to maintain a very delicate and precise balance with him and if any one little thing is off the whole thing falls down.

Will try to come home at lunch to check on him.

6. Djamila

If he's getting congested, he may not be able to smell his food as well, and cats like their food to be stinky. ;) You may try warming it up a bit to see if increasing the smell will help him. Or, like most of us, his appetite is just dipping because he doesn't feel well. I'm glad to see you're testing for ketones so we at least don't have to worry about that too much. Do try to keep grabbing those tests while he doesn't feel well to stay on top of it.

Our sugar babies do feel rather fragile at times. I hope he can shake off this little cold quickly! Do you think your vet would let you pick up some AB for Alfred since your civie is already on them and they live together? It might be worth putting a call in today before they leave for the weekend.

7. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

It is stressful when our sugar kitties won't eat. Could the sneezing be allergies? Hay fever is rampant this year - even Rachel Maddow is coughing on air. Murphy has seasonal allergies and he gets 1/2 (5 mg) of a zyrtec pill once a day (in a gelcap) - you might ask your vet if you think it could be seasonal allergies - it's quite common in cats
    I agree with warming his wet food a bit - 5-7 seconds in the microwave (make sure it is not too hot) and elevating the food dish

8. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

He didn't eat much today so his PMPS was 180, stalled 1.2 hr, 208, stalled again 222. Fed him, he ate a decent amount. Shot 1.75 :nailbiting: Will test in 2 hours to see where he's at.

I think he's got whatever my civie has, will call the vet tomorrow (they're open on Saturdays) and ask about getting him on antibiotics asap. Civie seems to be feeling a bit better now, less sneezing and boogers. Civie's appetite was diminished when she first got this bug too so hopefully it's just this bug getting him down.

I didn't want to backslide on his numbers so felt I should shoot something tonight, but will keep an eye on him. I have my hypo kit at the ready.

Thank you for all the suggestions! His bowls are usually elevated but will try warming the food a little and will offer him a bit more in a little while. He'll eat the YA kibble so have been sprinkling it on the wet food to get him to eat it.

9. Djamila

If you have time before bed, try to get a test in so you can see how he does with the reduced dose. It will help you know for next time if you needed to lower the dose, or if he ends up rising. I'm so sorry to hear he's sick. Sending healing vines to both your kitties!

10. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Last night:
    +2 304
    +5.5 325

Ate decently overnight.

Should have shot the full dose :banghead: oh well, coulda, shoulda, woulda :blackeye:

AMPS 427 gave 2.5u

Emailed the vet re: his sniffles, will wait to hear back. I have 2 bottles of Clavamox right now for civvie (Norah) so hopefully vet will give go ahead to start Alfred, I'll just have to go get more so Norah (& maybe Alfred) will have enough for the 2 weeks.

Alfred ate decently today, husband will be home with them today so he can keep an eye on them.

Thank you for the healing vines! Hopefully they'll both get over this cold/bronchitis quickly.

11. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

Cheddar, the kitten I adopted from the pound a few weeks ago, came with a respiratory infection. A couple days after I brought him home, he was sneezing non-stop. Then Chico, who had been playing and grooming him got sick. I took them both to the vet and am still giving them both antibiotics.

12. Djamila

That’s one of the trickiest things about all of this. We can’t know until hindsight if we did the right thing. But each time helps us make better and better decisions/guesses.

Hope your fur babies heal quickly!

13. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Alfred won't eat tonight so I'm skipping his shot even though he's at 437. I don't feel safe shooting if he's not going to eat anything but at the same time it's not like he's low. :(

He's been high and flat all day.

I've got the go ahead from the vet to start antibiotics with him but I'm hesitant since he's not eating, I don't want to upset his stomach. I tried giving him Cerenia but he threw it up about 20 minutes later .

He ate about 1/3 can of food this morning but hasn't eaten anything else all day. He won't eat tuna, boiled chicken, baby food, Fancy Feast or the YA kibble. I tried them warmed up, with parmesan cheese on them, with freeze dried chicken on them, but still not interested. I'm running out of ideas.

Should I just go ahead and give the antibiotics? Should I still shoot even if he's not eating? Argh I hate it when he's not feeling well. :(

14. Djamila

From the SS, it looks like you decided to give him a dose? In general, if a kitty isn't eating you don't shoot, but sometimes those really high numbers make them feel unwell and bringing the numbers down can help them feel good enough to eat. The problem is that without mid-cycle numbers, we can't be sure how low he's usually going at nadir, so it's hard to be sure it's safe to shoot without him eating. Is there any chance you could get a few mid-cycle tests today to give some idea how he's responding to the insulin? His PS numbers look pretty bouncy, so it's possible there are some lower mid-cycle numbers hiding in there.

And definitely stalk him until you can get a ketone test. Since he's in high numbers, isn't eating, and likely has a respiratory infection of some sort, you'll want to be very careful about watching for ketones and test a lot until he feels better. Anything above a trace you'll want to get him to the emergency vet right away.

As far as feeding, are you leaving his food out so he can nibble a bite or two when he feels up to it? Will he take a bite or two if you sit with him?

Is he sneezing/snotty/wheezing? Do you still think he has whatever the civie has? I'm not sure what to say about the antibiotic on an empty stomach. On one hand, it might make him feel better to get started on them. On the other hand you're right that it could upset his stomach if he doesn't have any food onboard. Will he eat treats maybe?

15. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

I hope your kitties are responding to the antibiotics and start feeling better soon! Whatever this bug is it's not fun to deal with! Sending healing vines to your guys!

I skipped the PM shot since he wouldn't eat and I didn't give any antibiotics. Decided to just leave him alone for the night. I left a buffet of food out for him and he ate a little FF overnight and some YA kibble. This morning he woke me up for food so that was a good sign. He ate some FF and more YA so gave his full dose. He's a grazer so he's always got food available until 2 hours before shot time.

I will try to catch him in the litter box today and test for ketones as well as get mid-cycle tests. He's got the same symptoms as the civie, sneezing with clear mucus. It just seems to have hit him harder than her, but he is 15 and she's 3 so it would make sense he'd have a rougher time with it.

16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Glad to hear he decided to eat today! Hopefully it was just that he was feeling kind of crummy last night and needed a good sleep. Keep us updated! Sending healing vines.

17. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

My kitties have been on antibiotics over a week now. I didn't even hear one sneeze yesterday! You really need antibiotics to get over these colds, herpes, or whatever they are. I also give l-lysine mixed into their food. It's supposed to boost the immune system. I buy them at Vitamin World, about $8 for 100 capsules. Even the vet recommended l-lysine. I take one capsule (500 mg), open it, and sprinkle it into their food bowls (no more than 250 mg each). Then I put in their canned food and swish it around slightly. It must be tasteless, because the cats don't notice it. But do some research first because some of them have an ingredient that's toxic to cats. The Vitamin World l-lysine I buy is actually meant for humans, so I share it with the cats if I'm not feeling well. Check with your vet though, because both my sick kitties did not have diabetes. I'm sure Chloe (diabetic) has consumed some with no ill effect.

18. Djamila

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that he's eating again! Did you start the antibiotic? Keep us posted on how he's doing.

19. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

He was eating pretty well today, nibbling throughout the day. Tonight he didn't want to eat again. I tried his raw food and FF but no dice. He did eat about 1 TBS of the YA kibble so I shot 2.5 u. Will get up and test in 4 hours. I'm exhausted, it's been off an on with him since he started insulin a little over a month ago and I'm worn out from worrying about him. :(

I will start the antibiotics tomorrow when I get them from the vet. If he's not eating tomorrow morning I will take him in. I just wish he'd eat normally, everything would be so much easier. :( :banghead:

20. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Got a good 4 hours of sleep and got up to test at +5 he was 67! Fed some Gravy Lovers FF with a little honey.

1/2 hr later (+5.5), 79.

Tried to feed more but he wouldn't eat so syringe fed him more Gravy Lovers with a little bit more honey.

+6 116

+6.5 129

+7 147

Nice to see the greens and blues at least! I kind of wonder if I could have just waited without feeding and seen if he would have dropped from the 67 or if he would have come back up on his own.

We'll see where he's at for AMPS ... probably shouldn't have shot last night since he only ate a little bit. :banghead:

21. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This diabetes dance is difficult! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll get there. :)

Is the orange dividing line across your SS to separate September from October data?

22. Djamila

Those are some great mid-cycle numbers! As far as waiting to feed, he was close to a typical nadir time, and still had a ways to safely drop, so you might have been able to wait or just give a little snack of regular LC food. Usually hold off on the gravy and honey until they go below 50, or if they are in the low 50's but it's still really early in the cycle. The hypo stickies are a little scary with all of the red and bold text, but one thing to keep in mind is that 50 is the "take action" number, it isn't actually a clinical hypo yet. It's set a bit higher in order to keep the kitties safe. Kind of like a railing around the edge of a cliff. So before you reach 50, you can steer with regular food, and even in the 40's, the kitty is safe, you just dont' want to leave him there without giving him a little nudge back from the edge.

The first time Sam went into the 40's, I was sure he was going to fall over dead immediately, but then I looked at him and he was walking around and purring and just fine! I really wish they would re-write that sticky to make it less terror-inducing!

As far as shooting last night, I'm glad you did. These are great numbers, and while it's stressful, especially in the middle of the night, it's good to see that he is responding to the insulin and getting some time in healing numbers. It likely also explains why his PS numbers are all over the place - he's probably been hitting similar numbers in some of those other cycles, and then bouncing which is why you have PS's the range all the way from green to black!

23. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Yes just a divider between the months, it helps me visually. Is it confusing/is there a better way to do that?

I'm glad I got the data and the experience. It was nice seeing the blues, wish he spent more time there.

AMPS 568 and he won't eat. I've tried tuna warmed up, Friskies, FF, his raw food, he just sticks his nose near it then looks at me. He's not licking his lips but maybe he's nauseous. I'm going to see if I can get him into the vet today. At least I have today off so I can tend to him.

Since he's not eating I'm going to skip the shot, I don't feel confident with that decision, but I don't want to shoot him if he won't eat.

I'm tired and frustrated but I have to try to keep it in perspective. It's probably the URI coupled with stress which may be exacerbating his pancreatitis. I'll call the vet when they open in an hour.

24. Kris & Teasel

No, it's fine. :) Maybe label it with the name of the month? We use these dividers for all sorts of things - insulin change, on vacation, etc.

25. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Got him into the vet. He got sub q's, Cerenia shot, bupe shot and bupe to give at home. Holding off on the antibiotics since he didn't have a lot of mucus and his lungs sounded clear and his sneezing has diminished. Not sure if that was the right call but the vet said she didn't think he needed it right now.

He still won't eat, but we did just get home. Tested negative for ketones at home. Going to go get different cat foods and see if he'll eat something, if not then will syringe feed.

Glucose was 600+ at vets office. :( But he was high this morning and I didn't shoot because he wouldn't eat so that's to be expected, it's just really icky to see.

I have app stim I can give him, but waiting to see if I can tempt him with a new food ... we'll see what happens.

Vet is leaning towards pancreatitis since he seemed painful. Going to do an ultrasound next week since he had some issues on his x-rays from a few weeks ago. Pancreas looked off and intestines seemed inflamed.

Since he hadn't eaten also drew bloods for a GI panel. Vet thinks maybe needs vit B supplementation.

I hate this! If I'm not actively doing something I feel helpless so I end up just running around in circles like a moron and worrying, ugh! :banghead:

I lost a cat to lymphoma over a year ago and I'm still not over it. He had been on pred and chemo meds for 2 weeks then stopped eating. Anti-nausea didn't help, app stim didn't help, fluids didn't help, vit B injections didn't help, nothing seemed to help. He hadn't eaten anything substantial for ~5 days and had lost so much weight and seemed miserable so I made the decision to have him euthanized. I still feel awful about it and guilty because I feel like I should have tried harder, should have gotten a feeding tube put in, should have done something, anything more to have helped him, instead I had him euthanized and I hate myself for it. I feel like I failed him and stole time from him, he was such a sweet, caring, forgiving cat and I let him down terribly ... so when I see Alfred not eating it really hits me in the gut hard. :blackeye:

26. Kris & Teasel

Please don't beat yourself up. You're doing everything you can for Alfred right now and did everything you could for your other kitty. When you couldn't help him any more you made the hardest but kindest decision all caring pet owners have to make.

Pancreatitis can make them feel very sick and it's painful. The treatment involves symptom management (anti nausea meds, maybe an appetitie stimulant, pain meds and sometimes extra fluids) and getting them to eat anything they'll want to eat. Not eating is very risky, especially in a diabetic cat.

27. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Thank you, I just hate feeling helpless.

Alfred still won't eat. So far he's had the following meds:

Cerenia
    Sub Q fluids
    Bupenorphine
    Famotidine

Offered him several other foods, still not wanting to eat. :( I syringe fed some chicken baby food, but was only able to get about 2 tsp into him. :(

Should I give the app stimulant? I'm hesitant because of the bupe and I was an idiot and read about seratonin syndrome so now I'm paranoid. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss. :blackeye:

28. Kris & Teasel

How long has his appetite been poor? Don't let it go too long before you try an appetite stimulant or see the vet. Lack of food can make it hard to give enough insulin. That can lead to the serious complication of diabetic ketoacidosis.

Is the famotidine intended for appetite? It's an acid reducer and might relieve stomach discomfort but isn't an appetite stimulant per se.

29. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

I took him to the vet today, that's where he got all the meds given to him.

He hasn't eaten since I syringe fed him about 2 tsp last night at 2AM. His appetite has been off for ~2days, but he was at least eating a little bit prior to last night at PMPS when he only ate a little food, I still gave his insulin but then I had to syringe feed him at 2AM to bring his numbers up a little bit.

He didn't eat anything at AMPS so skipped shot.

I gave the famotidine because I thought he might have acid stomach since he's been hovering over the water bowl today.

I made the Liver Shake and he won't eat that either.

It's getting close to shot time and he needs insulin, I have to get him to eat something.

I'm going to give him the mirtazapine. With my luck it won't work and he'll just be doped up and not eating. :banghead:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  30. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Gave him the mirtazapine, he's wandering around and restless, will eat a couple bites of food then walk away and wander around and meow. The meds are not doing the one thing they're supposed to do, get him to eat. :( :banghead:

PMPS 555

waiting to see if he'll eat more ... going to give shot regardless, he's drinking tons of water, will syringe something into him later.

Djamila likes this.
  31. Djamila

I think that's the best plan. And maybe bringing those numbers down a bit will help bring his appetite back too. There are a number of kitties around here with pancreatitis, and some folks with quite a bit of experience getting their cats through these flare ups, and which meds work best, and how to time them and manage it all.

@Teresa & Buddy used to be on prozinc and her cat Buddy has been quite the challenge sometimes when it comes to eating. I haven't seen her around for awhile, but maybe she'll see the tag and have some ideas to get him to keep nibbling at least.

32. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

syringed maybe 4 tsp into him, feel like I got more on me than in him :(

will try again later

33. Djamila

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Wish I could do more than send an internet emoji hug. Will he eat treats? Kibble? Really anything you can get him to nibble right now. Don't even worry about the carbs for now.

34. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Thank you, it helps knowing I'm not totally alone in this, I just really struggle when I see him feeling poorly, it tears my heart out and I hate not being able to make it better.

I know everyone here feels the same way about their kitties and that means a lot to me knowing I'm not the only one who cares deeply about their pets.

He's nibbled on the various food I have out for him, he will eat Temptations treats, so I've given him a few of those.

Tested at +2 he's 403. I'm going to get some sleep and try to get up and test at +5.

I just really hope he eats something overnight and/or will eat for me tomorrow for AM shot. It's all well and good when he does this on my days off, but it's back to work for me tomorrow so I don't know what I'll do if he's going to still not eat tomorrow.

I may have to ask the vet for a different appetite stimulant because the mirtazapine just made him mildly interested in the idea of eating, but still not eating. He just wanders around and meows and then looks at the food and meows. He had Cerenia today so I would think he shouldn't be nauseous, unless the Cerenia isn't working either. I just wish he could talk or I could read his mind! :banghead: Is that so much to ask for! :facepalm: ;)

35. Djamila

Have you posted on Main Health to ask about appetite meds? I can't remember what people usually use with Cerenia, but I know there are rather strong preferences about which ones work best. It might be worth checking there and then seeing if you can get your vet to prescribe whatever it is.

36. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I hope Alfred is feeling better today! If he isn't and the meds aren't working, I'd call the vet to at least ask him what's the next step.

37. Kris & Teasel

How is he this AM? If he still won't eat even with all the meds I strongly suggest another trip to the vet. If diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is developing he'll feel very ill and won't want to eat. Have you tried testing urine ketones? It's easy and very important if your kitty is under the weather.

DKA is easier to treat if caught early but it's not something to do at home. Some people here have done it out of necessity but it's a round the clock intensive nursing job. My cat had a bout a couple of months after his diagnosis and I'm lucky he's still here. I don't want to scare you, only warn you of a potential serious problem.

38. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Thank you all for checking in. He did eat overnight (anti-jinx)! I'm cautiously waiting for his shot time to feed him again. He's really "stoned" seeming from the mirtaz, eyes are dilated to saucers. He's acting like he's hungry but not sure if he's just restless from the drugs.

I do test for ketones, I last tested 10/22 and he was negative. I kept missing him in the litter box yesterday so wasn't able to test. Will try to test him this morning.

Djamila likes this.
  39. Djamila

So glad to hear he ate! Keep it up, Alfred!

40. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

AMPS 487

He ate ~1/2 can FF so gave him 2.5 u

Keeping my fingers crossed that he'll continue to eat for me. Syringe feeding is no fun. :blackeye:

I missed him in the litter box again :banghead: will keep trying to get a ketone test today once I get home from work.

Djamila likes this.
  41. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Hi, I am still around, but I have not done much posting since I moved to La La Land. One thing is cerenia is for throwing up and Ondansetron is for nausea. And I think this cat is nauseated. My vet loves cerenia and that is what she wants me to use, however, I know what works for Buddy. Buddy went for years and would eat nothing but dry food and I believe it was the smell of the wet food. He did start eating FF grilled Chicken & Liver, but that was the only wet food he would eat. This caused a problem when he became diabetic, because this was a MC food. Sometimes I could put Forti-Flora on his LC food and that would help. Recently, I just started feeding Buddy the FF grilled, he gets 2 cans a day and Dr.Elsey's dry chicken recipe which is LC. This is not ideal for a diabetic cat, but he is eating. How often are you giving the Bupe, maybe for a while he might need a little more to get him over the hump, has he had fluids since he started this flare. If he is dehydrated, that would make him nauseous. Buddy took Cyproheptadine for an appetite stimulant, which helped. For a while I have been giving Buddy hemp, it has helped a lot. I used to get up several hours before AMPS, so I could give Buddy all of his meds, so he would eat, I am not doing that any more. If you have dealt with pancreatitis in the past, you have a good idea what is going on. You might at this point need intervention by your vet. Also, you might have different ways of handing this problem and that is alright, just what ever helps. If I can help you at any time just send me a message.

42. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Thank you so much for your reply and insight! Alfred was at the vet yesterday and he got fluids there. I have fluids at home to give him as well.

He did eat overnight and this morning, but I think you are right that he is nauseous and the cerenia isn't helping.

He's getting bupe every 12 hrs for 3 days.

I will talk to the vet today and see if she'll give me a script for ondansetron and cyproheptadine.

Thank you again! Pancreatitis is awful to deal with, I hope your kitty is doing well.

43. Kris & Teasel

Thanks for your expert advice, Teresa. If you want to keep in touch, why not post on the ProZinc forum? Several of us there have used Lantus and know Buddy. :)

Djamila likes this.
  44. Teresa & Buddy

I will do that, if I could have talked to all of you ladies I would have been doing more posting.

Djamila likes this.
  45. Teresa & Buddy

You are welcome, Pancreatitis is bad news. Buddy is doing much better since he started taking the hemp, I am afraid to say too much, afraid I will hex things.

46. Kris & Teasel

Well then! We'll see you over on the ProZinc forum. :smuggrin:

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  47. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Please do feel free to come post anytime @Teresa & Buddy! We've missed you and we'd be glad to do what we can for you over here!

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  48. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

I'm glad your kitty is doing well and I know all about trying not to jinx things (anti-jinx!) :bighug:

If I may ask, which hemp product do you use with Buddy? I've been trying to find a hemp product Alfred will eat, the ones I've tried he doesn't like and won't eat his food when I add it in.

So I got the ondansetron and gave him 1/2 a pill this evening. He ate a pretty good dinner and I'm hoping he will eat more later.

I am worried however because I read the possible side effects and drug interactions and apparently if taken with mirtazapine there is an increased risk of seratonin syndrome. :( :banghead: I haven't given him anymore mirtazapine but he's still acting like it's in his system, although not as much as yesterday ... but now I have a new thing to worry about. :blackeye:

Hopefully he'll keep eating (anti-jinx)

PMPS was 567 :( I feel like I'm losing this battle. :blackeye:

49. Teresa & Buddy

If you give him the ondansetron and the Bupe (pain medicine) you will get his nausea and pain under control, he will eat without mirtazapine. The Hemp I give to Buddy is a chew, but he will not eat it, so I cut it into 1/4 and give it to him like a pill. I will get the container in the morning and tell you the name of it. I am always worried about serotonin syndrome. I have in the past given meds that could cause ss, but I did not have any problems.

50. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

I have depression, anxiety and MS so I tend to be a bit of a mess on most days, stress doesn't help so I overreact to little things. Thank you very much for your reassurance and for all your help. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this with your kitty, it is awful seeing them in pain and feeling terrible. :(

Alfred ate decently overnight and he ate for me this morning. I gave him the bupe and will give the ondansetron before I leave for work. I waited to give it this morning because I wanted to see if he'd eat on his own. He did, which is good, but I had to coax him a bit.

His eyes are a little less dilated today and he seems to be a bit more himself. Although he's not been cleaning himself like he usually does and I'm a bit worried about that. He's usually very fastidious about cleaning, hoping once the mirtaz is out of his system he'll get back to cleaning. He has been pooping and peeing and besides the huge pupils seems fairly ok.

His BG is high and I still haven't caught him in the litter box ... really want to get a ketone test in, his numbers have me worried.

51. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

finally caught him in the box, negative ketones

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  52. Teresa & Buddy

Sounds like he is headed in the right direction and I hope that continues. If you could find the 1/2 life of his appetite stimulant, that would tell you how long that would stay in his system. In case you at still interested the name of the hemp Buddy is using, RX Vitamins for PETS, Professional Veterinary Formula, HempRX, Soft Chewz For cats, Formulated By Robert J. Silver, DVM, MS, CVA. I got Buddy's from 1 of his vets, but this can be bought on line, that is why I entered a lot of the info that is on the jar. If you should order these do not give your kitty over 2 in 1 day. When Buddy first started taking these he had been in a flare all summer, he started out taking between 1 1/2 to 2 chewz a day. At this time he is taking around 1/2 a chewz a day. Buddy would not eat them, so I put them in his pill pusher like a pill and that has worked just fine. I know every cat is different, but this has really made a BIG DIFFERENCE for Buddy. Healing vines for Alfred.

Djamila likes this.
  53. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Thank you so much for the information on the hemp, I will definitely look into getting it. I would love to find a hemp CBD product I can get Alfred to take as I know it can be very helpful for pain and inflammation.

54. Teresa & Buddy

When I first got the hemp for Buddy, I thought this is never going to work, because he would not eat the chewz. I wanted him to take this bad enough that I cut one of the chewz in 4 pieces and I thought maybe if I treat it like a pill it will work. Buddy is good about taking pills, so it worked out fine for me. Maybe Alfred would like the chewz to eat, or maybe you could find another form that Alfred would like.
    How is he today, hopefully he is feeling better.

55. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

(preemptive anti-jinx ;P) He's doing good today, he ate well this morning and this evening. The mirtazapine should be almost out of his system now and he seems much more himself. He's being sassy and not liking me pilling him or giving him the bupe, which is a good sign that he's feeling better.

I can't thank you enough for all your advice and help, it is so helpful having someone who's been through all this giving advice. I'm hoping the continued use of the bupe and ondansetron will get him back up and running at full capacity so I can concentrate on getting his BGs under control. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point and am just taking it one meal at a time with him.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  56. Teresa & Buddy

If I can help let me know, glad to do so. With Buddy this had been going on for years, so I just took it one meal at a time since he had become diabetic. It is such a problem when you cannot get them to eat and then you can't give their insulin because they won't eat. Hope Alfred goes on with his big adventure.

57. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

I raised his dose to 3 units this morning (AMPS 537). He did pretty well today, appetite decent. I didn't give any ondansetron last night or this morning. It looks like his lowest today was 280 at +7.

Tonight he ate, but wasn't very enthusiastic about it so I gave ondansetron. PMPS 322 gave 3 units. Will get a +2 and then most likely get up to get a +6 and see where we're at.

Hopefully he's not painful and the pancreatitis isn't flaring up again ... it's such a delicate balance. :banghead: :blackeye: :nailbiting:

Oh and last time he was at the vet they did a GI panel. His cobalamin is normal but his folate is high. Vet says that usually means an overgrowth of bacteria in the intestines and wants to put him on metronizadole. I'm stalling because I don't want to upset the very precarious balance I think I might have going now (anti-jinx).

Anyone have any experience with a cat with high folate levels?

If it's not one thing it's another. :( :blackeye:

58. Teresa & Buddy

I keep metronizadole at the house, I gave Buddy 1/2 a pill this morning. When Buddy is having flare his stools get loose, then I will start him on metronizadole. One of my other cats is also taking metronizadole, we use it a lot. I have seen no problems when one of the cats take this. Humans also take this medicine.

59. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Thank you for relating your experience with metronizadole. I was worried about it causing tummy upset, but I will go pick it up today and see about starting it with Alfred. I still have the ondansetron so I can always give that to offset any nausea.

So many plates to keep spinning! :eek:

I hope Buddy is doing well and his soft poos clear up soon and hope your other kitty is doing well too. :bighug:

60. Djamila

Sam gets metronidazole when his IBS gets really bad. He's never seemed to have any upset with it, although we do give it with food. Usually helps settle things down pretty quickly. I hope it works well with Alfred!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.