Alkaline urine (ph of 8) - questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kelly & Oscar, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Oscar had a urinalysis done last Wednesday. Came back that his urine ph was 8 :eek: Last time it was 6.5. Same diet as March. (Dr. Lisa's raw diet) No carbs in sight. Urinalysis done around 10:30am last meal was 7:30am. He gets 5-6 mini meals each day spread out over the whole day. Never had this issue before. No crystals found in the urine. x-rays did show very small calcification places in his right kidney, but none elsewhere.

Here is a link to his chart of blood work/urinalysis:

bloodwork

Do I need to do anything? Vet didn't mention it or say anything needs to be done. Waiting on a call back from her.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The link to the urine analysis does not work. As you kind of say, urine ph is dependent upon diet and time. Problem with a high ph is that there is a greater likelihood of stuvite crystals forming.

3. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I hate it when this forum truncates urls. I changed it to a hot link, hopefully that will work now. I know alkaline urine can cause a breeding ground for crystals, which is why I am concerned. Is there anything I can do in this situation? Is a ph of 8 something that could randomly happen and not be an ongoing thing? Is adding cranberry powder something I should look into?

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

you can acidify the urine by diet/supplement. One supplement is methionine,which is used in prescription diets. However, if too acid the oxlate crystals/stones may form. The problem with those is the making the urine more alkali is that does not dissolve the crystals/stones. Maybe the 8 is just a fluke.

5. michaelbarring

michaelbarring New Member

The ph of urine can be determined during a urine test and this particular urine test can also be performed at home. A variation of the pH value of your urine can indicate certain health conditions, which may warrant further investigation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.