All is well

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AnitaJ, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

Hi Daffy's blood glucose reading was 7.2 before her meal so I thought it would be best not to give her her needle. We are doing a blood glucose curve test today and her last reading was 14.7. Now I'm thinking maybe I was wrong to not give her the shot. Clinically she seems good. Should I give her the insulin Shot? I called her vet just now but he is with patients right now. Thank you for any advice in advance. I'm new to this and do not know what to do.

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

At 7.2 do not give insulin, Anita.

Mogs

3. Critter Mom

Good call to post and ask for feedback - and great job with the home testing! :)

Can you please post the following information:

1. Meter type you're using.

2. Insulin type and dose.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  4. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

Do you think the 14.7 reading is food induced? If I was my kitty I would wait out this cycle and then pick up food 2 hours before her next scheduled test. Post that number here before doing anything else.

5. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

Okay thank you critter Mom. You guys are so helpful, I really appreciate it.

jayla-n-Drevon and Critter Mom like this.
  6. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

Daffy is on CaninSulin and yesterday her Dr. Increased her dose from 2 units twice daily to 4 units twice daily. Her meter is by Bayer called contour next. She was diagnosed with diabetes on Dec 23.

7. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

8. Critter Mom

Whoa, Nellie!!! :eek:

WAY too big a dose increase.

Sif and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  9. Mum of two felines

How long have you been home testing? It would be beneficial if you could set up the spreadsheet. And why did the vet do a 2 unit increase? How long after your kitty ate did the vet check the BG.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  10. Mum of two felines

What food is Daffy eating?

11. Critter Mom

Anita, I need you to create a summary of the day thus far, giving details of insulin, BG tests and feeding. It would help us to have it in the following format:

AMPS - ??? <--- BG test result before breakfast (and also how long ago Daffy ate before that).
    Food: ?????? <--- type of food eaten (e.g. Fancy Feast Turkey & Giblets, 3 oz)
    Dose: ???? units <--- Size of dose given (if you did not give any insulin at this time put "No Shot")

Then I need you to give the BG curve readings you've taken today relative to the time the insulin was given. For example, if you tested 2 hours after that would be +2. For example:

+2 - ??? <--- BG test result 2 hours after dose.
    +4 - ??? <--- BG test result 4 hours after dose.
    (etc.)
    +12 - ??? <--- BG test done at end of cycle (PM preshot test)

Also can you provide information on when you gave any food (e.g. if you fed Daffodil after the +4 test, add the amount of food given at that time:

e.g: +4 - 11.1 - Fed 1 oz Fancy Feast after test

When we get this info, we'll have a better picture of what's happening and be able to make better suggestions.

Mogs

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  12. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

The vet did a 2 unit increase because her levels were still very Hagh after 5days of 2units twice daily. It was about 3 hrs between the time she ate and the vet doing the recheck. We started doing our own monitoring yesterday evening. Thanks Mum of two felines.

13. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

Hi Everyone, I just got off the phone with the first vet that treated her. He was very surprised and alarmed that her dose was increased to this extent. He said to go back to 2 units twice daily. He also said that because she didn't get her needle this am that the curve would be null and void. Critter Mom if it is null and void would it make sense to do the requested cHart on Tuesday when the vet said to do the Curve? You are all so helpful, thank you.

14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you got another opinion. 4 units is a HUGE dose. An appropriate increase would be by 0.25-.5. A 2 unit increase is dangerous.

Critter Mom and AnitaJ like this.
  15. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

For those following this thread here is Anita's (am I safe assuming we can call you Anita?) original thread with some further details.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/insulin-monitoring.170445/#post-1856631

Also, could you please remove the "911" from this post now as we tend to get our BP elevated when we see that flag in the title.:p To change the title, go up to the Thread Tools button in the upper right area of the screen. Click on it and choose option to edit title. This will take you to the title box and you can remove the 911 prefix there. Thanks! :)

Yes the curve would be null and void from the vet's perspective but getting a few readings today (not every 2 hours necessarily) wouldn't be a bad idea anyway because it gives you a bit of baseline so you know what Daffy's numbers are without insulin in a comfortable familiar environment. These numbers are far more useful for determining what dosing should be and I still have some misgivings about 2u so early in the game. Unfortunately, even these numbers may not be totally accurate given how low she was today at AMPS but still better than elevated vet numbers.

16. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

Me too Janet!! We will be asking for this vet by name in the future.

JanetNJ likes this.
  17. Mum of two felines

Anita if you would like to go and take off the GA and just put a ? Mark for the tag it would help alleviate the heart drop members will experience. GA. Means Gone Ahead (to the rainbow bridge)

18. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

Done. I know all about BP rising lately, don't want everyone to be alarmed as well. I will take readings again today but as you said not every 2 hours. I haven't slept yet since the 4 unit shot last night so if I stop making sense let me know.
    Are you the person who feeds her cat fancy Feast? Is diabetic prescription diet worse compared to fancy Feast?

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Mum of two felines

Yes, the diabetic foods are higher in carbs than fancy feast or friskies. What was she eating before?

20. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

Oh No! I didnt realize. Just fixed it. Thank you for letting me know.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  21. Mum of two felines

It's a definite learning curve here:bighug: But you are doing great!!! Thanks for letting us help you.

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

Fancy feast was her food until she was about 6. Now she eats GI moderate calorie another prescription diet . I had just started to incorporate this formula into her regular food.

23. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

You have no idea how much you have all helped Me! ☺

Critter Mom likes this.
  24. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

nThanks for taking down the Emerg, Anita. And we are all use to sleepless nights around here so no worries there. :smuggrin:

I have been blessed with a die hard kibble addict diabetic and she has a high dose condition to boot so she's a bit of a rare oddball. Ironically, my other two eat FF Pates! Oh that she would too! :rolleyes: We have a stand off every morning and sometimes in the afternoon and all she will do with wet food is try to bury it like her waste. If that doesn't work she has now taken to moving the bowl elsewhere!:woot: I have to laugh because otherwise I would cry!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  25. Mum of two felines

Fancy feast classics are the best choice. I don't know anything about GI moderate calorie, I really haven't heard anything about it. It's just not very many prescription foods are low carbs.

26. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

Cats are so smart and so funny. Even though that is not what your hoping for she must look Cute! Daffy will love me forever when she finds out the ff news,,,

27. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

Okay Thanks!! I'll be making the switch!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.