All over the place

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anne Biddle, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

so after being off juice for over 2 weeks Truffles has had a skin irritation flare up and coupled with the heat he’s all over the place. I’m desperately trying to sort him and also waiting to hear back from my vet. He’s quite happy so I guess that’s the main thing!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Anne, how is Truffles doing now? I'm sorry it's been miserable hot for you, the East coast has been getting some severe weather. What did the vet say?

3. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Hi. This is the email from my lovely vet which I’m happy with.
    “ Overall I am pleased that it appears Truffles has more or less gone into remission. It looks like you could just stay on the 1/4-1/2 unit BID for now and continue charting and see how things go once his skin flare up has fully resolved. Let us know if you have any further questions.
    Have a great day! Please let us know if you have any questions.”

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

not sure why he said you are close to remission but it does look like he's getting more regulated which is good. If he was in remission he would be under 120 consistantly for 2 weeks without needing insulin. Not quite there yet.

5. Idjit's mom

I was wondering about that remission thing too, Truffles was doing so much better as far as being regulated. Poor little puddy with a skin flare up. I sure hope it resolves, Truffles get completely regulated and slides gently into a true and holding remission. Idjit's last spot test was a 48, and I was really surprised. I guess it can happen, and as he is off insulin, there is no danger, but my hair stood on end for a few seconds. DH's eyes bugged out and he asked me "should we do something?"

6. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I was told under 160 but that some cats are naturally higher than that. He had over 14 days without insulin so my vet is happy with that on the whole. She obviously has taken this in to account. It will be interesting to see what happens when his skin flare up dies down. It’s nowhere near as bad as in the past so hopefully will die down quickly.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Under 150 is with a vet/pet meter

You are using a human meter which runs lower. A 300 on your meter would bemore like a 350 on a pet meter.

8. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

After looking at Truffles chart, during those 14 days you had a lot of numbers where I'm not sure why you decided to not give insulin? A lot of the numbers were on the higher side which would require some amount of insulin and wouldn't count towards "remission." Could you explain what was going on there or what you weren't giving any?

9. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Because he had a hypo when given a small dose which scared me witless. I was happy his numbers were in an acceptable place for him and were dropping on their own without insulin. 246 to 77 without insulin. I also did my own research and discussion with my vet and was as I said not prepared to risk another hypo. I made a decision after testing before each shot and looking how his numbers were dipping on their own.

10. Idjit's mom

Hi Anne, I meant to respond to your latest post yesterday but got distracted with phone calls. My mom was in ER for the second day in a row and we don't live in the same area, so it was a wacky day.
    Anyway, I looked at Truffles ss. The only thing I know to recommend would be more testing, during the day and some at night as you can to see what the numbers tell you at different times. I know how scary a hypo can be, and Idjit wasn't really in any danger, but I have tried to help people that have logged on in the middle of a hypo and it's not a very comfortable situation. You love Truffles and you are going to do the very best you can take care of that gorgeous bundle of fur and love that you can. I wish you every success and hope that you will keep posting and letting us know how Truffles and yourself are getting along.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.